• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French butter truffles

Sweet Impact Mama

A question about shelf-life and traditional French truffles. I followed a recipe on Ecole Chocolat, for traditional butter truffles. From everything I've read, butter truffles usually have a much longer shelf-life, but there is no alcohol in these, or invert sugar. It also has egg yolks that have been heated to 160F.  This throws me off of Greweling's recipe's, so I'm not sure if these are safe to take to my retail locations. They are 18 oz of dark chocolate, 10 tbls butter, 2 egg yolks, 1/2 c boiling water, a bit of salt, and a variety of dried chili pepper for flavoring. I food processed them until a shiny, thick pudding texture. Then dipped them in tempered dark chocolate. 

Can these last for more than a couple of weeks, if stored in temp controlled candy counter? I'm avoiding taking them to the Floral shop that sells my chocolates until I can determine this.  
Thanks for any advice.

Does the recipe provide an Aw estimate? The egg yolks will be pasturized in the process so that is not a concern. This is likely a recipe based on one of the Wybauw recipes (I've just been looking through the 4 books and can't yet find it) and will likely have an Aw that will give them a shelf life of around 3 months I suspect. But your best bet is to do a standing study and see where they are after 8 weeks or so.