• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest Consumer Kitchen Product of the 21st Century

weinoo

eGullet has, over the past few years, cost me money -- my Anova (previously, until it died, my SideKic circulator, which introduced me to sous vide cookery); my Instant Pot ( @Smokeydoke -- get that thing out of storage; it will make a believer out of you!), my CSO, and we will not speak of how many cookbooks.

A friend whom I've introduced to all of those appliances -- he hasn't taken the plunge on the CSO because he has such a tiny apartment-sized kitchen -- debates with me on whether the Anova or the IP is the #1 appliance. I'd probably go, just on frequency of use, with the IP; I don't use the Anova as much in the winter, although it gets a lot more use in nice weather when I'm grilling steaks. In fact, I'm already planning on SV'ing a dinner's worth of steaks to go back in the freezer and hold when we go to the beach for our family vacay later this year. 

The forum has, however, been worth every penny I've spent because of it. I've never bought anything (much) that I didn't feel was worth the price once I had it. And the entertainment is priceless.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Mr. Smokey has been hassling me about the IP, he wants me to make corned beef. And what a coincidence, there's an eGullet thread about corned beef! Maybe it's meant to be.

I want to use it, there's just so many things to make, so many recipes to try, I haven't been able to get to it. The corned beef may be it's christening.

13 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

Mr. Smokey has been hassling me about the IP, he wants me to make corned beef. And what a coincidence, there's an eGullet thread about corned beef! Maybe it's meant to be.

I want to use it, there's just so many things to make, so many recipes to try, I haven't been able to get to it. The corned beef may be it's christening.

Put my brisket in the brine today. I'll IP it on St. Paddy's Day, likely. The IP IS a marvelous invention for cooking corned beef, I will have to admit.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

no question ;

"  Greatest "

1 )  a SV system of your choice  .  Anova  brought that into Any Kitchen.  After all , they go on sale at Target !

2)  a Combi-Oven for home use :   Cuisinart stands alone here.  Anova's oven is a PipeDream so far

3 )  the electric pressure cooker  :  iPot v 2 and above.   the ' handles ' and cut out for the lid allowed the iPot to take-off.

and as a runner-up  :  a quality induction cook top.  this has yet to be embraced.

Edited by rotuts (log)