• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest Consumer Kitchen Product of the 21st Century

weinoo

Have at it. The Cuisinart Steam Oven?  Sous Vide Supreme? Searzall? Anova? iPhone?

Which is the greatest? And why? Or what do you have that you absolutely wouldn't want to live without?

Me - I think the CSO is pretty damn great for so many things, that I wouldn't want to live without it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

IPhone, Instant Pot, Joule,  induction range, Thermomix 31, Breville smart  oven, Cuisinart steam oven… 

Wouldn't want to live without any one of them but if I had to give up anything it would not be my iPhone. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BSO, CSO, Anova, Induction cooktops/burners, chamber vacuum sealers and the Breville Milk Cafe, though not necessarily 21st century are certainly more recent. With the exception of the Anova and the sealer they are used daily, to my great delight.

p

9 minutes ago, palo said:

BSO, CSO, Anova, Induction cooktops/burners, chamber vacuum sealers and the Breville Milk Cafe, though not necessarily 21st century are certainly more recent. With the exception of the Anova and the sealer they are used daily, to my great delight.

p

The sealer!  Couldn't survive without mine.

OK.  I'll play.  My DH who is not only a terrific (If somewhat short-tempered) short-order cook, which I don't want to do ever, but also is my faithful sous chef and does my chopping when I need something chopped which is constantly, and also prepares the 'mises' when we make Chinese food.  I love my new Breville Toaster Oven and the Black and Decker programmable coffee maker,  but my DH is best of all.

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

No argument with that conclusion but is your DH truly a "product of the 21st Century?"

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The affordable immersion circulator I think is # 1. Does something new and better.

As great as CSO and BSO are they do something better, but not something new.

See, here's where I beg to differ.

I think the CSO, as a consumer product, offered up something new.  The Breville didn't, as we've had toaster ovens for a long time.

Food Savers have also been around for a long time. and is a chamber vac really a consumer product?

Induction ranges, Insta Pot, and Thermomix, are all in the running for sure. Since I own not a single one of those, I can't vote!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Love my Instant Pot. Love my CSO. Love my Anova. (All purchased, btw, thanks to all you enablers on eGullet!) Would be real hard to pick one. I guess it'd be the CSO, which I use marginally more.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This is funny.  I obviously live vicariously through my eG pals.  I don't think I own ONE item that didn't exist before the turn of the century.  Of course, I've replaced or bought new things since then, but nothing that was completely a new product.  I don't even have a smart phone.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

This is funny.  I obviously live vicariously through my eG pals.  I don't think I own ONE item that didn't exist before the turn of the century.  Of course, I've replaced or bought new things since then, but nothing that was completely a new product.  I don't even have a smart phone.  

My phone is Western Electric, circa mid 20th century.  Casting my mind about I can't think of any kitchen appliance or gadget I use* that wasn't available in some form or another before the turn of the millennium, albeit perhaps not intended for housewifery.  Possibly the most recent invention was the food processer.  That or my stainless steel nakkiri.

But to answer the question, I wouldn't want to be without any of it.

*rotor-stator homogenizer, check.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't know whether it is the greatest product, but my grandson works for Amazon and they were told in a sales meeting the other day that the instant pot is their top-selling product worldwide right now it is on the way to being their top selling product of all time.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Aside from the smartphone, that's me as well.

I've enjoyed reading about your Anovas and Joules, your CSOs and BSOs, your Instant Pots and various bits of modernist esoterica, but there's nothing I've felt impelled to rush out and buy. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Aside from the smartphone, that's me as well.

I've enjoyed reading about your Anovas and Joules, your CSOs and BSOs, your Instant Pots and various bits of modernist esoterica, but there's nothing I've felt impelled to rush out and buy. 

I didn't necessarily feel impelled to rush out and buy any of these things, but I now own most of them and would never give them up! I really didn't realize how much I would use most of them until I had them. I rather overthought buying most of them, which is kind of silly considering what I pay for mani-pedis in a year, for example. Give up a few visits to the nail salon and I could easily pay for some of them, ha. 

In fact, I liked them so much I bought extras. I absolutely adore my Instant Pots, my immersion circulators (Anova and Joule, but love the compactness of the Joule), my Cuisinart steam ovens, and my induction cooktop. The induction cooktop is probably my fave in some ways since I use it a lot and the ease of clean-up makes me smile every time. Also love that it doesn't heat up the kitchen in summer and no open flame or hot surface to threaten cat or occasional young child visitor (or husband). The CSO is close in terms of use - I use it daily. But I love them all. 

Is the iPhone a kitchen product? I'm an Android fan, and I like my OS to be lean and promptly updated so I go with Google Nexus or Pixel lately, but the only thing I use it for in the kitchen is the Joule app and I'm not exactly enthralled with that. Do other people enjoy that app? Or other smartphone features for the kitchen? I use my tablet for recipes sometimes, but only if I really can't print them out.  

12 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Is the iPhone a kitchen product?

Well it is my cookbook library (Kindle),  my recipe file (now in OneNote), my Joule controller,  my unit converter (Imperial to metric  and others),  my calculator, my Googler for new recipes; explanations of ingredients; incredible inspiration, etc. etc.  and perhaps most of all my connection to everyone on eG. Is it a kitchen product?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Is it a kitchen product? I don't have a smartphone but I have a 9 inch Samsung Tab 4 that is also my cell phone. I have a list app on it that I add to all the time and when I'm ready to go out the door I grabbed my phone and I have my list. I have a 64GB SD card in it with sufficient room to store my personal cookbook and all my most used recipes that I have converted to PDF files. In Google, I have all the recipes that I have found and want to try bookmarked in files so that I can find them easily. If I need a conversion, I just ask Google. If I want to find a new recipe for something, I just ask Google. if I'm trying out a new recipe and making my own changes in it I bring up Google Docs and dictate what I've done so I don't forget for the next time.

If I'm out somewhere and someone asks for a recipe or for a copy of my cookbook, I can bring out my phone and email it to them on the spot so I don't have to remember to do it later. I use my cell phone tablet so much in the kitchen, that I don't even want to think about being without it. That's why I also have a 7-inch Samsung tablet with all the identical information in it. I'm so paranoid about it that I'm even thinking about adding a spare to my pair.

Now that you've really made me think about it, I think I would nominate my Samsung tablet. There are probably none of my other appliances that I couldn't live without if I had to, but don't make me give up my tablet.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...