• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nathan Myhrvold - at George Brown College Next Week

Kerry Beal

On 9/29/2017 at 5:35 PM, Kerry Beal said:

The plexiglass case for Modernist Cuisine wasn't as tough as they hoped - so this time around the case is stainless. Apparently they have made some stainless cases with the logo for Modernist Cuisine on them for folks with the plexiglass ones that want to swap them out.

I need info on how to get one, my case arrived cracked and I worry about it simply falling to pieces one of these days. I did not bother trying to return it as I purchased it early on, and they were sold out for a long time. Anyway, a steel replacement case would be great!

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

was there any mention dugong the talk on the discovery they found that set the time table back on publication

so that they could include it ?

Im very curious about that.

Nope!

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I can live without an electric knife.*  Yes, I was given one in the 1970's.

Edit:  I'd rather have an electron microscope.

If you give a woman an EM, the next thing she'll want is a cyclotron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

If you give a woman an EM, the next thing she'll want is a cyclotron

Well I used to know how to use an EM.  There'd probably be a learning curve with a new cyclotron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

was there any mention during the talk on the discovery they found that set the time table back on publication

so that they could include it ?

Im very curious about that.

I'm of course not Kerry but I believe I read it had to do with the milling of rye flours.  Apparently (if memory serves) suitable rye flour is not available in the US.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Scanning or TEM?  And what do you want to examine with it?

Bread, of course.  Probably scanning for the purpose.  Haven't you seen the electron micrographs in the Modernist Bread calendar?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm of course not Kerry but I believe I read it had to do with the milling of rye flours.  Apparently (if memory serves) suitable rye flour is not available in the US.

He said the best rye flour in the US was Bob's Red Mill.- you have to mill it finely yourself and it's till not the same as the European flours.

• Like 1