• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NEW! Ninja Intelli-Sense Kitchen system

andiesenji

This appliance combines a blender, food processor, spiralizer and Ice crusher  using a motor base with 4 SEPARATE vessels that specialized blades and gearing

to facilitate a multi-tasking tool.  

This base is 1200 watts, 300 watts less than the "Mega" system, which had a few problems.

And priced at $199.75, direct from Ninja,  it seems to me to be a pretty good deal.

I am tempted to buy one because it is more versatile than my 20+ year old Vitamix  and I need a food processor, having killed my smaller one and the big 20 cup is too large for many of the tasks.

I still have my Thermomix but am considering selling it because I don't use it enough nowadays.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Nope. Much as I am a kitchen toy freak, my immediate response to this was "too difficult to store".  Perhaps if I had a huge kitchen with acres and acres of counter space I might see it differently. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nope. Much as I am a kitchen toy freak, my immediate response to this was "too difficult to store".  Perhaps if I had a huge kitchen with acres and acres of counter space I might see it differently. 

I'm more into single task toys, myself, if you don't count attachments for the Kitchenaid.  While he was installing my new dishwasher the new assistant superintendent asked about attachments for my Kitchenaid.  I told him I use the Kitchenaid more for the attachments than as a mixer.  He was interested in the meat grinder.

No need to store the Kitchenaid as it's earned it's spot on my kitchen counter.  Sadly the little Kitchenaid has been banished to the living room.  Won't be long till I have a grandchild or another that needs one.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The containers seem kind of small. The price is cheap, but it makes me wonder...

I can do almost all of that with my Kenwood mixer and attachments. The catch is, some attachments cost about $99. That said, the Kenwood has a powerful motor. It is also kind of modest in terms of space, seeing that I'd have a mixer anyway for bread and such, having a few attachments in a cupboard isn't a huge deal.

Chef designed? I don't think chefs can design any machine. Good sales pitch.

Have you noticed that all quality cordless power tools are now powered by brushless motors? I believe very soon blenders will follow. I want a blender with a small but powerful motor that runs super fast and very quiet, also long lasting. That would be a brushless motor powered blender.

I want a blender with better blade steel that can stay sharp. I want a blender that can have supercapacitors built in to give incredible burst of instant power beyond the power limit of 1800 watts of your typical outlet.

I want a blender with a variable speed control from 0 to max RPM. (40,000 RPM would be nice, reversible would be nice, )

I do not want an "Intelligent" machine! Not until I get some strange brain deceased that causes most of my brain cells to die off.

dcarch 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Chef designed? I don't think chefs can design any machine. Good sales pitch.

Have you noticed that all quality cordless power tools are now powered by brushless motors? I believe very soon blenders will follow. I want a blender with a small but powerful motor that runs super fast and very quiet, also long lasting. That would be a brushless motor powered blender.

I want a blender with better blade steel that can stay sharp. I want a blender that can have supercapacitors built in to give incredible burst of instant power beyond the power limit of 1800 watts of your typical outlet.

I want a blender with a variable speed control from 0 to max RPM. (40,000 RPM would be nice, reversible would be nice, )

I do not want an "Intelligent" machine! Not until I get some strange brain deceased that causes most of my brain cells to die off.

dcarch 

Don't know.  Off hand I like the idea of the rather dull blade design of Blendtec, not that I have a blender.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've got the big commercial 20 cup Cuisinart.  I need a smaller one.  I used to have an 11 cup and a 14 cup but I gave the smaller one away and I killed the 14.

I have a DLX for large batches of bread dough or cookie dough.  I have a 6-quart KA for mixing medium-sized batches.  I don't use any attachments for the KA.  When I first got this one, it came with a "bonus" meat grinder.  It failed on first use, the drive shaft split so I tossed it.  I have a meat grinder that has all metal parts and works just fine.

I have a regular blender but the capacity is not enough for some of my recipes.  The VitaMix I have needs a new jug because the gears are frozen in the bottom of the "wet" jug - the "dry" jug is okay but not suitable for regular liquid recipes.  The older one with the stainless steel jug is not big enough for some of my recipes.

The Ninja's  72 ounce capacity is what I need.  And the small capacity food processor is perfect for small batches of things I prepare often. 

The utility cart with doors that has held the big Cuisinart and the VitaMix for years, will hold the Ninja and it's components once I move the VitaMix to the pantry.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji,

If it seems to meet all your requirements then I think you should go for it.  There is no one answer for all of us.  I am already pushed to the limit for both counter space and cupboard space. Lifting things up or lifting  things down can defeat me very quickly.  But I can certainly remember a time when I would've been all over this thing. :)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If I was in the market for a blender, processor, crusher and spiralizer, I'd consider something like this over 4 separate devices. I don't see how it's any different than having a stand mixer with attachments for doing other jobs, it's a blender with attachments for doing other jobs. The "smart" stuff and touchscreen don't matter to me but I get it... this is the age of the cellphone that is used for almost everything except a phone so people enjoy those touchscreens and program pre-sets for certain tasks have been around for a long time.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm not suggesting this product is of the same ilk, but I seem to remember infomercials that this was the neatest since sliced bread. I remember the hosts having something like a dozen or so of these set up and they demoed how easy the finished product was to produce. If it's the same manufacturer they've certainly grown up!

p

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, palo said:

I'm not suggesting this product is of the same ilk, but I seem to remember infomercials that this was the neatest since sliced bread. I remember the hosts having something like a dozen or so of these set up and they demoed how easy the finished product was to produce. If it's the same manufacturer they've certainly grown up!

p

I have the Ninja Coffee Bar, second generation, which I love.

I also have a Ninja Shark vacuum which I love, wouldn't be without.

Extremely impressed with their speedy customers service. When my first Ninja Coffee Bar failed, they immediately sent me a new one and included a prepaid shipping label to return the defective one.  Did not quibble about it, just did it and I had the replacement in 4 days from the day I called.

• Like 4

That's good to know. Most of the people I know who have a Ninja love it, but I've also encountered a small-but-significant percentage who complained about their durability. Apparently they have (or once had) a predilection for crapping out 6-12 months after the warranty expired, at least in regular use. Looking at their current Amazon reviews that seems to be receding, though. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning