• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine Chengdu Contact Info

IEATRIO

I will be in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, at the end of the month.  I am hoping to arrange for some lessons at the Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine, but having a lot of trouble finding somebody to contact to try to make arrangements.  The agents who frequently arrange these classes seem to have gone defunct.  I have found some other cooking classes, but they seem rather geared to tourists interested in food, rather than to cooks, and rather basic.  If anybody can put me in touch with somebody who could help, I would be grateful. 

Edited by IEATRIO (log)

I'm not sure how useful this will be, but I have the address

成都市龙泉驿区红岭路459号

The Chinese name of the school is 四川烹饪高等专科学校

Wave that at a taxi driver and you should be able to get there.

Their phone number is +86 28 8731 7064. I don't know if anyone speaks English, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I attended the three month course five or so years ago. My contact was Alex Liao (contact is his first name followed by "218", at foxmail dot com), but I initially got a reply from George Liu, whose address is first name followed by last name, underscore shic, at qq dot com.

While either or both of them may have moved on from SHIC, they might be able to help you.

Edited by flippant (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to return so late to this topic that I started.  Unfortunately, since posting this I learned that the SHIC has been integrated with the Sichuan Tourism University, and classes moved from Chengdu to a town about 2.5 hour drive north of Chengdu and that they no longer accept short term students.

Instead, we arranged to take private classes at the New Asia Culinary Academy in Western Chengdu, easily reached by Metro from downtown Chengdu, and separately arranged for a translator to translate for us.  This is a huge privately run culinary academy, with several hundred mostly young students there for a multi year course.  We were the first foreign students to take classes like this, and while they weren't really set up for it, they were very accommodating of our requests.  It was a magnificent experience, and I recommend it most highly and intend to go back as soon as I can.  I would be happy to share the contact information with anybody interested if you send me a message. 

• Like 2