• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermoworks TimeStack - First Impression

Porthos

For my birthday my DW bought me (I did all the actual legwork) Thermoworks' new TimeStack 4 channel timer. I specifically wanted it for my ren faire kitchens, where I may have mutilple things steaming, stuff in the oven, and some task that has to be started at a specific time . I have overall been very happy with my other Thermoworks products (not happy that the audible alarm quit sounding in my ChefTimer) and have looked forward to my birthday to get my mits on this new timer.

It's operation is pretty straight forward. All you need for instructions are printed on a heavyweight plastic card. The audible alarm has a selectable volume. Each channel has a different beep pattern and a choice of 3 selectable frequencies.

I am, however,  dissapointed in one feature. Instead of a beep pattern you can record your voice or whatever for each channel. I was looking forward to using, among other things, my favorite submarine dive horn sound; it's distinctive. The volume on playback is pitifully weak compared to the audible beeper. With their Big and Loud timer I usually set the volume to 3 (4  being the loudest) and my partially deaf ears can hear it from many feet away. I can similarly hear the audible beeper of the TimeStack from many feet away. The recorded sounds, however, not so much. FYI: If you turn up the volume of what you want to record it just gets very distorted on playback.

I am getting the service features I want, except for the recordable sounds, and am glad to have it.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;