• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafestol: Oh, now it's good for us?

Joe Blowe

There have been many articles/studies published over the years regarding cafestol, a compound found in coffee, and its ability to raise cholesterol:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

In fact, cafestol is the most potent dietary cholesterol-elevating agent known, said Dr. David Moore, professor of molecular and cellular biology at BCM, and Dr. Marie-Louise Ricketts, a postdoctoral student and first author of the report. Cafetiere, or French press coffee, boiled Scandinavian brew and espresso contain the highest levels of the compound, which is removed by paper filters used in most other brewing processes.

(I'm sure you know which direction this is headed...)

In a recently released study by Aarhus University Hospital, cafestol has been linked to a reduction in fasting glucose in mice. Naturally, this now means "cafestol may contribute to the reduced risk of developing T2D in coffee consumers and has a potential role as an antidiabetic drug." As of yesterday, the media is running wild with this latest breakthrough.

I never went out of my way to avoid coffee that wasn't filtered through paper. But, I guess it was in the back of mind that the *occasional* extra pot of French press *might* be having some effect on my blood chemistry. As with all things, moderation is always the key.

How about you? Will you break out the old percolator based on this news? Brew up a nice pot of cowboy coffee?

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Forty-seven mice divided into three groups isn't a very big sample size. I am also suspicious that many studies nowadays are funded by industry -like all of those studies of tobacco done by the tobacco industry which kept showing inconclusive results.

Edited by Lisa Shock
forgot a letter (log)

As of yesterday, the media is running wild with this latest breakthrough.

There's the problem in a nutshell. With studies like this one now routinely triggering press releases, the popular media has not a clue how to put the results in context, how to make sense of a small sample size, and how to intelligently differentiate three categories of studies: correlation vs causation, in vitro vs in vivo, and animal vs human. As Chris mentioned, single studies are, for the most part, just small pieces in a very large puzzle. Sometimes they can trigger other studies; sometimes they add a bit to a bigger body of knowledge, but precious few are paradigm-changing.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer