• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Well, this is my introduction

Daikath

After having discovered the youtube channel Strictly Dumpling I am infected by the host Mike Chen's enthousiasm for asian food... Only one problem... there are no authentic asian restaurants around, so if I really want some I'll need to learn to make it myself...   Sure there is the standard variety chinese restaurant which I love, but it's westernised chinese food. Nothing authentic. If we ask for noodles here, they think you're talking about bami/bakmi.

I have made a succesfull attempt at making Nikuman's. (even if I didnt add the shrimps or mushrooms, don't like those). after my favorite fightingg ame character Kensou (From Kign of Fighters)ate them all the time.

I was fascinated by the videos of asian chefs using just their hands and some dough to make noodles more beautiful than any machine made pasta. I'm still not sure if the hours you need to put into it will be worth any different sensation of texture. But just the idea of just needing flour, water, salt and maybe an alkaline and nothing else interests me.

For now I will try different attempts at creating the noodles, even if I don't know the exact details the dough needs yet. After that maybe some beef soup to go with it. But with my first succesfull noodle attempt I will be having it with a chicken boullion cube in a soup bowl with water with some chinese 5 spices powder, chilli powder, soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

After that I will look more more asian foods.

Hey Kim, thanks for the answer.

I am from the netherlands and rural netherlands at that. Probably the most authentic chinese restaurant I been to is Wok to Walk when I was in Amsterdam. Still tasty but still not a noodle soup or something.

adc96e1bba0bc62e0f6a926672c4f4f2_featured_v2.jpg

• Like 1