• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CantCookStillTry

CantCookStillTry

formatting, formatting everywhere

Took the family on a whistle stop Road Trip to the Coast for a little bit of R&R and, as it turned out some delicious food. 

I'll start, as one usually does, with breakfast, nothing fancy, nothing that deserves posting but hey, I'm still getting my family used to my need to photograph everything before they try it :D.  

Bacon Egg Wrap with BBQ Sauce                                                                                                  

59fe8da97ddf6_bageggroll.thumb.jpg.8ec7b4c0f9b4d2d9e21b93cc7c223269.jpg

Sausage Roll for me - It was very good because of its simplicity (I like to think myself a meat in pastry connoisseur) the ones from our local bakery are trying to be fancy, laced with vegetables and chia seeds - it's a sausage roll, I know it's not healthy, I don't want it to be! 

snausroll.thumb.jpg.dee58e23770274185fbd61bfb916cc55.jpg 

The next discovery was from a little hut next to the bay called "The Snack Shack" we had been told to check it out by the owners of the home we rented. It doesn't look like much but it delivered.   

The Menu.  It pretty much covers everything, seafood through to Service station fare (I'm looking at you chicko roll). I love that there are two options for the seafood basket, fresh or frozen - I do wonder how many/if any people order the frozen. 

menu.thumb.jpg.f7fb6fbff6bddb76da04fb9daa4512d4.jpg

Fish Counter - sorry its not clearer, I was trying to be subtle. 

fishcounter.thumb.jpg.e4c9c4a1bdd168e4496c730c93f8eb69.jpg

And then dinner. Calamari and Prawns for Mr. and Whiting for me. 

calamariprawns.thumb.jpg.421ae5e7bf0a56e9da8beb10ea1c9d48.jpg

whitingsalad.thumb.jpg.46f188e72869e1f5e28383c200c434f2.jpg

My Whiting came with a lot of salad... A lot.  

saladoverflow.thumb.jpg.b1e77c4187f5ccd164c1b2a2def0a719.jpg

Our final discovery was for breakfast by the bay in a different Cafe. It was OK, the main things that weren't great had nothing to do with the establishment and just the environment - like flies, so, many flies. Although 35 minute wait for coffee was a little stressful first thing in the morning. 

My husband chose the 'Happy Mans Breakfast' I guess he was happy about it? 

happyman.thumb.jpg.7ba4b0c65fd70fab0fba267b79838219.jpg

Small man had a babycino to accompany his sausage and bacon because sometimes frippery is fine and cute. 

babycino.thumb.jpg.ef43c502c77807ea33a584af5b3879a5.jpg 

View from the cafe to the road the food was consumed beside to make sure it fits the topic :D

roadfood.thumb.jpg.f1c7870d7b3399e8ab8e146e60c5c58f.jpg

And finally to finish my post. My Breakfast. Eggs Benedict. I have been saying I'm going to have eggs benny for years and years and always get something else, usually blaming spinach being present or salmon, todays menu had options so it was eggs benny time. Confession - I have probably only been wanting to try Eggs Benedict because it was the food de jour for a while, the internet was filled with pictures of oozy poached eggs, still is. Thing is - I don't like egg yolk and I have never had a poached egg. I'm a boil til dead, fry til bounce kind of girl. But some how, I was sure, eggs Benedict was going to cure me of all this, I was to be converted and be able to take photos of the oozy eggy money shot!!!

eggsbenny.thumb.jpg.a44f2d6bb9689bb6c891c916291b6ad6.jpg

I was not. 

CantCookStillTry

CantCookStillTry

Took the family on a whistle stop Road Trip to the Coast for a little bit of R&R and, as it turned out some delicious food. 

I'll start, as one usually does, with breakfast, nothing fancy, nothing that deserves posting but hey, I'm still getting my family used to my need to photograph everything before they try it :D.  

Bacon Egg Wrap with BBQ Sauce                                                                                                  

59fe8da97ddf6_bageggroll.thumb.jpg.8ec7b4c0f9b4d2d9e21b93cc7c223269.jpg

Sausage Roll for me - It was very good because of its simplicity (I like to think myself a meat in pastry connoisseur) the ones from our local bakery are trying to be fancy, laced with vegetables and chia seeds - it's a sausage roll, I know it's not healthy, I don't want it to be! 

snausroll.thumb.jpg.dee58e23770274185fbd61bfb916cc55.jpg 

The next discovery was from a little hut next to the bay called "The Snack Shack" we had been told to check it out by the owners of the home we rented. It doesn't look like much but it delivered.   

The Menu.  It pretty much covers everything, seafood through to Service station fare (I'm looking at you chicko roll). I love that there are two options for the seafood basket, fresh or frozen - I do wonder how many/if any people order the frozen. 

menu.thumb.jpg.f7fb6fbff6bddb76da04fb9daa4512d4.jpg

Fish Counter - sorry its not clearer, I was trying to be subtle. 

fishcounter.thumb.jpg.e4c9c4a1bdd168e4496c730c93f8eb69.jpg

And then dinner. Calamari and Prawns for Mr. and Whiting for me. 

calamariprawns.thumb.jpg.421ae5e7bf0a56e9da8beb10ea1c9d48.jpg

whitingsalad.thumb.jpg.46f188e72869e1f5e28383c200c434f2.jpg

My Whiting came with a lot of salad... A lot.  

saladoverflow.thumb.jpg.b1e77c4187f5ccd164c1b2a2def0a719.jpg

Our final discovery was for breakfast by the bay in a different Cafe. It was OK, the main things that weren't great had nothing to do with the establishment and just the environment - like flies, so, many flies. Although 35 minute wait for coffee was a little stressful first thing in the morning. 

My husband chose the 'Happy Mans Breakfast' I guess he was happy about it? 

happyman.thumb.jpg.7ba4b0c65fd70fab0fba267b79838219.jpg

Small man had a babycino to accompany his sausage and bacon because sometimes frippery is fine and cute. 

babycino.thumb.jpg.ef43c502c77807ea33a584af5b3879a5.jpg 

View from the cafe to the road the food was consumed beside to make sure it fits the topic :D

roadfood.thumb.jpg.f1c7870d7b3399e8ab8e146e60c5c58f.jpg

And finally to finish my post. My Breakfast. Eggs Benedict. I have been saying I'm going to have eggs benny for years and years and always get something else, usually blaming spinach being present or salmon, todays menu had options so it was eggs benny time. Confession - I have probably only been wanting to try Eggs Benedict because it was the food de jour for a while, the internet was filled with pictures of oozy poached eggs, still is. Thing is - I don't like egg yolk and I have never had a poached egg. I'm a boil til dead, fry til bounce kind of girl. But some how, I was sure, eggs Benedict was going to cure me of all this, I was to be converted and be able to take photos of the oozy eggy money shot!!!

eggsbenny.thumb.jpg.a44f2d6bb9689bb6c891c916291b6ad6.jpg

I was not. 

frappe.jpg

fishcounter.jpg