• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High-quality Cocoa Butter

GlorifiedRice

I use the Cacao Barry, Belcolade and I also got a whole bunch of bags of near date Felchlin - it's kind of shavings. A little stronger tasting than the Cacao Barry and Belcolade but not unpleasant in any way. 

20 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Mycryo  http://a.co/fhqokiX

Or I just got a big bag of Felchlin CB chips from Albert Uster.  It's not a fine powder like Mycryo, more like mini chocolate chip size

https://secure.auifinefoods.com/cocoa-products/cocoa-butter-100-grated-7500210000

The Mycryo website says you can fry steak and chicken in it...huh?

Do the Felchin chips have any chocolate flavor?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

35 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

The Mycryo website says you can fry steak and chicken in it...huh?

Do the Felchin chips have any chocolate flavor?

Felchlin does have flavor 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's weird that Mycryo isn't really aimed at pastry chefs.  I believe it is thoroughly deodorized for that reason.

I haven't tasted the Felchlin CB just plain, will have to do that!   I did already use it with some freeze dried raspberries, that was bad form of me to not taste it first :$  But the raspberry chocolate came out nice.

Has anyone used bulk apothecary for CB? They provided a certificate of analysis to me a few months ago, but I've been skeptical to try it out and haven't needed to order any recently. They have a deodorized kosher food grade product according to the documentation.

7 minutes ago, barista said:

What can cocoa butter be used for?

Suppositories...so says my mother's 1921 nursing text book.  There may also be culinary applications.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Suppositories...so says my mother's 1921 nursing text book.  There may also be culinary applications.

I don't know how many of you watch "Call the Midwife," a British series set in London's East End during the 1950s (I highly recommend it), but there's a similar scene in one episode. One of the younger nursing sisters makes a salad using olive oil for the vinaigrette, and an older nun comments how odd it feels to be eating the medicine. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 9/18/2017 at 12:04 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ermmm... I'm more keen to know it's culinary applications.

7 hours ago, barista said:

In chocolate-making, it can be used (if necessary) to thin out the chocolate used for making shells or dipping centers. Many ganache recipes call for using it in addition to dark, milk, or white chocolate. It is especially useful in making delicately flavored ganaches where the flavor of the chocolate tends to overwhelm the crucial flavor one wishes to highlight. For example, in a pear ganache, with white chocolate as the medium holding it together and making it firm up, the chocolate (even white) will easily dominate the delicate pear. A relatively small amount of cocoa butter substituted for some of the chocolate will help counteract that problem, since the cocoa butter contributes much less flavor of its own. Too much of it, however, and the texture of the ganache becomes "short" (losing its desired unctuous quality). And finally, if one has an EZtemper machine for making "cocoa butter silk," cocoa butter is the required starting point.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, barista said:

In addition to what Jim said, it can also be used to make "chocolate" out of other ingredients.  For example, I made a batch of raspberry white chocolate by grinding freeze dried raspberries, sugar, and cocoa butter together.  Regular white chocolate is sugar, dry milk, and cocoa butter.  As long as you temper it, the cocoa butter will add structure to whatever you mix in.

You can cook with it like any other fat.  As noted above, the Mycryo fine granulated CB is recommended for high-heat saute-ing in savory cooking.  CB can also be useful when cooking for special diets and vegans.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

In addition to what Jim said, it can also be used to make "chocolate" out of other ingredients.  For example, I made a batch of raspberry white chocolate by grinding freeze dried raspberries, sugar, and cocoa butter together.  Regular white chocolate is sugar, dry milk, and cocoa butter.  As long as you temper it, the cocoa butter will add structure to whatever you mix in.

You can cook with it like any other fat.  As noted above, the Mycryo fine granulated CB is recommended for high-heat saute-ing in savory cooking.  CB can also be useful when cooking for special diets and vegans.

I seem to recall a recipe for mousse using Mycryo when it was first being marketed.

• Like 1