• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Does Dallas

Kerry Beal

IMG_5961.thumb.JPG.11e676179c2ff59791c7b8d24178cf93.JPG

These are the lengths we will go to in order to make a sale - fellow was quite excited by the idea that the EZtemper would allow him to make meltaways with a 'clean label' (he's been using compound). So Kat and I hit CVS and bought milk chocolate, coconut oil and mint essential oil. We have taken most of our stuff over to the venue - so we gestimated weights and made a batch of mint meltaways using the hotel hairdryer to melt the chocolate. Fortunately I have an IR thermometer in my purse. 

image.thumb.jpg.54d71b1160e4e950cdc17d51d4b4abb0.jpg

The fridge they brought up for the milk for my tea had the perfect ice cube tray!

• Like 14

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At first I thought this was fish.

From a certain angle I can see that - but it was a glorious beef rib!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

These are the lengths we will go to in order to make a sale - fellow was quite excited by the idea that the EZtemper would allow him to make meltaways with a 'clean label' (he's been using compound). So Kat and I hit CVS and bought milk chocolate, coconut oil and mint essential oil. We have taken most of our stuff over to the venue - so we gestimated weights and made a batch of mint meltaways using the hotel hairdryer to melt the chocolate. Fortunately I have an IR thermometer in my purse. 

You're kinda like the chocolate MacGyver, you!   xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lunch meat in all its glory

Well thank you.  Are they quarter sheet pans that it is served on?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

These are the lengths we will go to in order to make a sale -

You two are amazing!  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, FauxPas said:

You're kinda like the chocolate MacGyver, you!   xD

She really is. I'm completely convinced that you could put her in a room with a pair of knitting needles, 6 empty bubblegum wrappers and a talking parrot and she'd walk out with a nice selection of chocolates and maybe a steak dinner to go with them. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Well thank you.  Are they quarter sheet pans that it is served on?

Yes - larger orders are on half sheets 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

She really is. I'm completely convinced that you could put her in a room with a pair of knitting needles, 6 empty bubblegum wrappers and a talking parrot and she'd walk out with a nice selection of chocolates and maybe a steak dinner to go with them. :D

That reminds me of a great talking parrot joke - but it's not for mixed company!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5961.thumb.JPG.11e676179c2ff59791c7b8d24178cf93.JPG

image.thumb.jpg.54d71b1160e4e950cdc17d51d4b4abb0.jpg

The fridge they brought up for the milk for my tea had the perfect ice cube tray!

It worked! He's going home with one.

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5945.thumb.JPG.3667f6f56ee197159b3fd530ee68dd29.JPG

Lunch meat in all its glory!

Why, why, WHY do people think it's necessary to heavily batter and fry okra to the point of being bulletproof? Sigh.

Barbecue looks good, though. For that Texas stuff, anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Now we're talking. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, kayb said:

Why, why, WHY do people think it's necessary to heavily batter and fry okra to the point of being bulletproof? Sigh.

Barbecue looks good, though. For that Texas stuff, anyway. 

So true on the heavy batter - I missed the okra in all that!

• Like 1

Went out to UPS a package - to avoid the higher cost of sending from the hotel. Turns out the UPS is in the Omni hotel!

They have a nice little outdoor patio so we dropped in for a drink.

IMG_6001.thumb.JPG.1f0a754306edf13b368efdeaf15c89cc.JPG

IMG_6003.thumb.JPG.0c566e4a948b90330536a9a045a114d3.JPG

Brother's Perryman for me 

IMG_6005.thumb.JPG.811deeaaba7dd274d5042a9dd28d21d8.JPG

Tequila Paloma for Kat.

Did you know that liquor stores are not open on Sunday in this town?

• Like 5