• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Thermometers....

Martin Fisher

I like the dot thing.! :-)

Had other (Taylor) cable/probe thermometers but found that the cables usually fail within a year or 2 ..and pricey replacement probes :-(

I use the same as Darienne,  Canadian Tire/Mastercraft laser unit(s) for deep frying, hot pans, etc. and another oddball laser for the BBQ pizza stone over 500F

Use the Mastercraft laser for daily cooking... my go-to unit!

Just got an analog/dial oven thermometer for the (terrible) oven, clipped onto a rack

A couple cheap (Amazon) digital instant reads, analog instant read NSF and a vintage floating glass dairy thermometer (ornament) :-)

Tech? Fluke meter and Flir - they don't like super high temps.

Old monster analog pyrometer for 2,000F+ (kilns)

Lots of K thermocouple wire..make my own when the kiln TCs burn out.

Plethora of glass mercury/alcohol lab units.

Yes, way too many (geek?) thermometers! ;-)

I have a $15 CDN probe thermometer that is fast and accurate and NSF certified. And a similarly priced no-name IR laser thermometer from eBay. I love them both. 

• Like 1

@paulraphael

I have the Smoke.

I like it.   the display is large , its very easy to configure   ( My chefTemps  or what ever its called was difficult to use and see the display )

I got a free needle probe when it was on sale.   get on their email list w a gmail account or so

they go on sale from time to time.  Im not a fan of the rounded bottom on the remote.  Id like it to stand up on a desk 

Ill make a support for it some tme.

Ive not used it a lot so I can't say anything about its longevity 

• Like 1

I got the javelin today in the US Mail

ordered thurs afternoon

I like it.   it has a button you push and it lights up

my therapen is an older on and does not

tested both is ice water that had equilibrated :

thermapen   32.1     JavelinPro  32.3

thermapen is a bit faster to equilibrate , but not a significant difference for me

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 4:20 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Although I do have a Classic Super-Fast® Thermapen® (2-3 second readings.)

I much prefer the ThermoWorks Super-Fast® Pocket Thermometer (RT600C) (5-6 second readings.)

I almost never use the Thermapen!

I start taking the temperature of stuff 3 seconds early—makes the pocket thermometer just as fast as the Thermapen! xD

Those times are starting at room temperature.

If you place the tip of the RT600C somewhere that's very warm before it's needed, it's just as fast as a Thermapen—or faster.

The Thermapen is okay, but it's annoying in many ways. 

The RT600C is a bargain.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We have recently purchased a couple of the ThermoPop thermometers and really love them. They're very fast to read the temperature, they have a easy to read display and the fact that you can rotate the direction of the display comes in handy sometimes. Besides that they are cute! Everything I've seen they're just as accurate as the Thermapen. A little harder to fit in your pocket but unless you work in a professional kitchen how many people really do that?

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.