• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hellman's

lindag

My nearby grocery store is having a big sale on Hellman's mayo.  I have never seen Hellman's this side of the Mississippi!  It's always Best Foods.  What's up?  Anyone know?

Edited by lindag
too many ls (log)

this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmann's_and_Best_Foods

suggests H is solids E of the Rocky Mountains.

also note :

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/do-these-logos-look-familiar-6-brands-with-variant-names-6424239

""Since 2007, the brands have had the same exact design...and almost the exact same recipe -- while the labels contain the same ingredients in the same "relative quantity" order, Best Foods may contain a bit more lemon juice, making it just slightly tangier.''

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

Best Foods is the only store-bought mayo that you will find in our home. I found the WIkipedia information very interesting.

Same here for Hellmann's.  I like Hellmann's better than my own...and I eat a lot of mayonnaise.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 years later...

As recently as yesterday I have been buying Hellman's organic.  It is more expensive than Hellmann's from Shoprite but amazon will deliver it.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As recently as yesterday I have been buying Hellman's organic.  It is more expensive than Hellmann's from Shoprite but amazon will deliver it.

But they'll also deliver Duke's.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Here on the west coast it is probably even harder to get Duke's on a supermarket shelf, so I just order it from Amazon. Pricing is confusing, so make sure what size jar you are buying. There are deals where two 32 oz jars cost the same as two 16 oz jars. Only once has there been a glitch: the mayo was separated and not usable. At this point it has replaced Best Foods entirely in our fridge.

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

But they'll also deliver Duke's.

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Was not on offer.

Do you use a different Amazon, or are you referring to Amazon at Whole Foods?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duke's+mayonnaise&crid=1D2KIBCHOYDP5&sprefix=duke's%2Caps%2C166&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_1_6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Do you use a different Amazon, or are you referring to Amazon at Whole Foods?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duke's+mayonnaise&crid=1D2KIBCHOYDP5&sprefix=duke's%2Caps%2C166&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_1_6

Sorry, I should have clarified, Amazon Prime Now, delivering from Whole Foods.  I also purchase mayonnaise from amazon.com but this is the Hellmann's thread.

I had never heard of Duke's until moving to KY about 10 years ago. Seems to be the favorite here. I can't tell much of a difference between Duke's and Hellman's to be honest. I usually get Hellman's because Duke's only seems to come in giant economy size.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

3 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

I had never heard of Duke's until moving to KY about 10 years ago. Seems to be the favorite here. I can't tell much of a difference between Duke's and Hellman's to be honest. I usually get Hellman's because Duke's only seems to come in giant economy size.

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

but this is the Hellmann's thread

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Hellman's contains sugar whereas Duke's doesn't.  That's the main differentiator for me.

To me, Dukes is eggy and a bit loose. I dont get it. 

Of course there's the scarcity issue ...like Coors in the 70s. But I don't see the Jerry Reed hauling a semi full of bootlegged mayo to NYC any time soon.

• Haha 4