• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Ruby' the Fourth Chocolate frontier?

adey73

I’m late to this news but have just seen film of the ‘private’ launch of Ruby chocolate in China that took place recently.  The Callebaut Rep was adamant that his samples were ‘bean to bar’ and that only 5 people in the world are aware of the source of the beans that produce Ruby chocolate and the production steps necessary.

Elsewhere on the web I found news that Nestlé is launching a Ruby coated KitKat in certain Eastern markets this Spring.  I didn’t know that Callebaut and Nestlé were linked, perhaps they aren’t but in which case I’m thinking the knowledge behind production of Ruby chocolate must have broadened from the original 5.  The Callebaut Rep likened discovery of Ruby chocolate to Newton discovering gravity...  

1 hour ago, DianaB said:

The Callebaut Rep likened discovery of Ruby chocolate to Newton discovering gravity...  

:D :D :D

Marketer's gotta market, I suppose...

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 months later...

I've been eager to try this, but when I saw that they only sell it in 10 kb bags for now it's like, meeeh, how about no? Maybe they'll sell the 2.5 kilo bags they've been throwing around, when it's available in more countries.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When you do tell us, make sure to let us know if they divulge a %cocoa solids or other info about the stuff... I'm interested to know if the ruby thing is a concentration of solids thing so it can only come in a very limited range of % or if it is a processing thing and you can get ruby from 30-80% like other chocolate types.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

7 hours ago, cdh said:

When you do tell us, make sure to let us know if they divulge a %cocoa solids or other info about the stuff... I'm interested to know if the ruby thing is a concentration of solids thing so it can only come in a very limited range of % or if it is a processing thing and you can get ruby from 30-80% like other chocolate types.

Looks like it's a single formulation at this point - specs.

5ae7b6510dbb3_IMG_8988copy.jpg.2a9ceba66512739ed8e38770997bdb36.jpg

This is the single piece that I have for tasting.

Smell was only slightly chocolatey - more biscuit like, a bit fruity.

Taste - slightly sour, grain/cereal, again biscuity, and a bit fruity - leaning towards the yellow and dried fruits. 

Aftertaste - a bit sour 

I must say I didn't hate it - it doesn't taste like chocolate - but it is quite pleasant. I think I could enjoy playing with it to make some tasty things. 

• Like 8

It sounds like the formulation I tasted in January had a similar profile, I think. I wasn't very excited by it - slightly acidic, but fruity, the closest thing it tastes like to me is white chocolate with berries.

Not for me, I don't think - but I'm not in the target millenial market :P

Ruby KitKats have been tracked down and eaten!  While this didn’t give us the opportunity to properly evaluate the taste of the chocolate I would second @Kerry Beal‘s impression.  A nice enough biscuit but I wouldn’t whip my cat across a field of broken glass to get hold of another (not that I need to, plenty of stock at Tesco)!

Apologies for the orientation of the photos, I couldn’t find a way to flip them in the time available....

34F07028-1833-4DD9-86A1-E247878B780E.thumb.jpeg.e1a15a3a8a13162c390ee2e1af570ba7.jpeg

1D7BF8D4-D0E4-4309-A3F5-D9FABD9B8F74.thumb.jpeg.955773808ff5ee7cf8a94863b761c9ed.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the rotate @rotuts,, it is my understanding that these KitKats are supposed to be made with Ruby choc:

https://www.nestle.co.uk/media/pressreleases/kitkat-ruby-arrives-in-the-uk

Fortnum and Mason appear to be selling bars of the product now:

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/t/categories/food-hall/ruby-chocolate?channel=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sv3n6Tl2gIVTb7tCh0eGQybEAAYASAAEgLFIvD_BwE

• Like 1

if you look at a regular KitKat, it won't say chocolate in the ingredients list either, I imagine. "Cocoa mass" is the pink ingredient in this case.

Edited by keychris
clarification of meaning (log)

22 minutes ago, keychris said:

"Cocoa mass" is the pink ingredient in this case.

Cocoa mass is pretty far down the list.  I'm surprised that milk powders are the third ingredient.  There can't be more milk in the wafers than wheat flour, so is ruby actually a milk chocolate?  Or a milk chocolate for KitKat, at least?

18 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Cocoa mass is pretty far down the list.  I'm surprised that milk powders are the third ingredient.  There can't be more milk in the wafers than wheat flour, so is ruby actually a milk chocolate?  Or a milk chocolate for KitKat, at least?

47.3% cacao (29.5% cacao butter), 26.4% milk, which would leave 26.3% sugar. So it's a milk chocolate with a high percentage of fat. (35.9% of which 29.5 is cocoa butter and 5% milk fat) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

47.3% cacao (29.5% cacao butter), 26.4% milk, which would leave 26.3% sugar. So it's a milk chocolate with a high percentage of fat. (35.9% of which 29.5 is cocoa butter and 5% milk fat) 

Ahhh, when I saw the 68% on the package, I thought that was the cacao %  (you know you're a chocolatier when ...)

So the kit kat is 32% crispy wafer fingers and 68% chocolate, which is 47% cacao milk chocolate?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Hard to say exactly how they are assigning ingredients - kind of looks like they are taking the whole thing - chocolate and filling - and breaking it down by highest to least percentage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

so the cacao butter is Pink ?  ( Ruby sounds better than pink, but it looks pink to me )

No, the cacao solids are pink rather than brown. Maybe it starts out more ruby colored before they add white milk and sugar that dilute the color. Cacao butter is off-white once separated from the rest of the bean. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

image.png.344f4b2176b1c0a3df67a98268bc1bd2.png

Have a look at these split cocoa beans - notice how purple some are vs others. I believe this is what was noted in some beans that had been exposed to acidity before roasting that led to the patent that resulted in Ruby chocolate. These pictures are from Soma when we toured at the 2016 workshop.

image.png

• Like 5

This stuff just does not sound delicious to me. Full disclosure, I love dark chocolate, I like a few milk chocolates but will always choose dark over milk, and the only things I think white chocolate is good for are fruit-flavored ganaches and decoration.

• Like 1