Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

adey73

'Ruby' the Fourth Chocolate frontier?

Recommended Posts

I got to try ruby today. I kind of liked it, I don't have any amazing taste whatever they're called, but it was nice. Felt a bit like a sour white chocolate. Tried it in a few different ways, a bonbon with caramel and strawberry compote, a kind of energy drink and panned almonds. Really need to try it a lot more before I can make up my mind.

 

In the end, I guess it's more of a chocolate than white chocolate. RB1 have some cocoa mass in it at least, even if it's only 4.5 percent. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rajala said:

I got to try ruby today. I kind of liked it, I don't have any amazing taste whatever they're called, but it was nice. Felt a bit like a sour white chocolate. Tried it in a few different ways, a bonbon with caramel and strawberry compote, a kind of energy drink and panned almonds. Really need to try it a lot more before I can make up my mind.

 

In the end, I guess it's more of a chocolate than white chocolate. RB1 have some cocoa mass in it at least, even if it's only 4.5 percent. :D 

It seems like everyone I have heard a report from has been somewhat ambivalent about it. But, man, they marketed the heck out of the stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

It seems like everyone I have heard a report from has been somewhat ambivalent about it. But, man, they marketed the heck out of the stuff. 

 

Well, it's kind of hard when there's no reference I guess? I told the Callebaut rep that many people will probably see it as "their competitors products with fruit flavor". But in the end it's not like the big pile of consumers know about Valrhona's inspiration. I think it's a really tough thing for marketing, but you can easily see that the color is one of those things they're pushing for. I got a pink bottle for water, I got a pink apron and a pink bowl (to prepare my future ruby in I guess). I mean, you do actually see before you taste - so it's nothing weird. I would happily buy some Ruby to play around with if it were available in the regular 2,5 KG bags - but they're pushing for 10 KG packages - and that would last me forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to try this in April as they were launching in the UK,  I also happened to be at the Callebaut factory. The process is just as Kerry said that they have selected the red beans and used those. They didn't share the process from bean to chocolate. It's being rolled out in September here in the UK. My best description for the taste was raspberry yoghurt, slightly fruity, creamy with a pleasant acidity. I look forward to playing with it but my guess is the cost is going to be astronomical. I also recently got to try all the Valrhona chocolate and tried a dark chocolate that has been fermented with passion fruit in the initial process and I have to say it was for me incredible! It doesn't contain any passion fruit  but tasted so fruity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not astronomical at all. You can get it for around 10 EUR per kilo. Pretty cheap if you ask me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, Rajala said:

It's not astronomical at all. You can get it for around 10 EUR per kilo. Pretty cheap if you ask me?

The price hasn't been released by my usual suppliers just yet but im interpreting what the official Callebaut ppl were saying about it being 'rare ' & 'limited supply' so expect it to be reflected in the price. I honestly have no idea as yet and I'm just guessing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Je33 said:

The price hasn't been released by my usual suppliers just yet but im interpreting what the official Callebaut ppl were saying about it being 'rare ' & 'limited supply' so expect it to be reflected in the price. I honestly have no idea as yet and I'm just guessing 

 

That's just sales talk I guess, I was laughing for myself during the presentation when they said that. But maybe this price point is expensive in some kind of view. I would've expected it to be 20 EUR or more per kg when they defined it as expensive. But maybe they just compare it to the budget priced products that they sell?

 

You can buy it here - https://www.bouwhuis.com/callebaut-chocolade-callets-ruby-10-kg -  a little bit more than 10 EUR per kg, but not by much. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so all in all not too bad price wise, cheaper from keylink 

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 17.43.00.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 17.44.13.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×