• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Ruby' the Fourth Chocolate frontier?

adey73

I got to try ruby today. I kind of liked it, I don't have any amazing taste whatever they're called, but it was nice. Felt a bit like a sour white chocolate. Tried it in a few different ways, a bonbon with caramel and strawberry compote, a kind of energy drink and panned almonds. Really need to try it a lot more before I can make up my mind.

In the end, I guess it's more of a chocolate than white chocolate. RB1 have some cocoa mass in it at least, even if it's only 4.5 percent. :D 

7 hours ago, Rajala said:

I got to try ruby today. I kind of liked it, I don't have any amazing taste whatever they're called, but it was nice. Felt a bit like a sour white chocolate. Tried it in a few different ways, a bonbon with caramel and strawberry compote, a kind of energy drink and panned almonds. Really need to try it a lot more before I can make up my mind.

In the end, I guess it's more of a chocolate than white chocolate. RB1 have some cocoa mass in it at least, even if it's only 4.5 percent. :D 

It seems like everyone I have heard a report from has been somewhat ambivalent about it. But, man, they marketed the heck out of the stuff. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

It seems like everyone I have heard a report from has been somewhat ambivalent about it. But, man, they marketed the heck out of the stuff. 

Well, it's kind of hard when there's no reference I guess? I told the Callebaut rep that many people will probably see it as "their competitors products with fruit flavor". But in the end it's not like the big pile of consumers know about Valrhona's inspiration. I think it's a really tough thing for marketing, but you can easily see that the color is one of those things they're pushing for. I got a pink bottle for water, I got a pink apron and a pink bowl (to prepare my future ruby in I guess). I mean, you do actually see before you taste - so it's nothing weird. I would happily buy some Ruby to play around with if it were available in the regular 2,5 KG bags - but they're pushing for 10 KG packages - and that would last me forever.

I got to try this in April as they were launching in the UK,  I also happened to be at the Callebaut factory. The process is just as Kerry said that they have selected the red beans and used those. They didn't share the process from bean to chocolate. It's being rolled out in September here in the UK. My best description for the taste was raspberry yoghurt, slightly fruity, creamy with a pleasant acidity. I look forward to playing with it but my guess is the cost is going to be astronomical. I also recently got to try all the Valrhona chocolate and tried a dark chocolate that has been fermented with passion fruit in the initial process and I have to say it was for me incredible! It doesn't contain any passion fruit  but tasted so fruity 

On 6/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, Rajala said:

It's not astronomical at all. You can get it for around 10 EUR per kilo. Pretty cheap if you ask me?

The price hasn't been released by my usual suppliers just yet but im interpreting what the official Callebaut ppl were saying about it being 'rare ' & 'limited supply' so expect it to be reflected in the price. I honestly have no idea as yet and I'm just guessing 

1 hour ago, Je33 said:

The price hasn't been released by my usual suppliers just yet but im interpreting what the official Callebaut ppl were saying about it being 'rare ' & 'limited supply' so expect it to be reflected in the price. I honestly have no idea as yet and I'm just guessing 

That's just sales talk I guess, I was laughing for myself during the presentation when they said that. But maybe this price point is expensive in some kind of view. I would've expected it to be 20 EUR or more per kg when they defined it as expensive. But maybe they just compare it to the budget priced products that they sell?

You can buy it here - https://www.bouwhuis.com/callebaut-chocolade-callets-ruby-10-kg -  a little bit more than 10 EUR per kg, but not by much. :)

• 1 month later...

So I got a sneak peek at RB1 before the launch here in September. It's a very fruity flavour, a little acidic. My wife described it as "just raspberries and white chocolate" whilst my 9yr old described it as "yummy like strawberries".

For me, nothing to really get excited over. I'll probably only have some to give to people who are interested in trying it, I haven't any plans to work with it in anything.

IMG_20180802_182526959.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

A year late on this, but I have been curious about this chocolate, like everyone else. Trader Joe's is not selling it anymore and I guess it pays off to work in food, cause I just got a sample. It was waiting for me on my desk this morning (yay, cause I am on almost 60 hours this week 😓). 

After all I have read about it, I was a bit put off, but still, I want to know what it tastes like, right?!

Like others have said, I don't hate it and I think it could make some interesting things. I smell cocoa butter, fruity coco butter, it melts really easily on the hands, flavor isn't too sweet like a white chocolate and it finishes slightly sour, but very faintly (although, everyone will taste different things, I am not totally sure my taste buds are working right anymore :-P).

There was a facts sheet with the sample, the same info you can find online on their website. They say the best way to use it is to leave it unadulterated as much as possible.

I am thinking a butter ganache, maybe dipped in a thin layer of a nice super fruity El Rey milk 56%, https://chocolates-elrey.com/special-reserve its an amazing chocolate I have picked last time I made chocolates for the holidays. But chances are the flavor wouldn't stand a chance with that monster of a milk. Maybe when its a bit cooler I'll order a smaller bag, and play around with it (my supplier doesn't carry it).

More to play with, I am excited about that.

1636640563_rubychocolate.thumb.jpg.af2047908284d04b3047eff8a8ba7fce.jpg852735928_rubychocolate2.thumb.jpg.d497efbf9c4f3447d8d31eae8c18b611.jpg1764314517_Rubychocolate1.thumb.jpg.9f365ba3f178dd0aeb5afa6072b58d00.jpg

Edited by Desiderio (log)
  • Like 2

Vanessa

I don't think I ever worked with such small amount of chocolate before.

Made tiny truffles.

They mentioned to keep this chocolate as unadulterated as possible and fat base fillings are better.

So simple buttercream, with a small amount of homemade berry jam.

Made few bottoms and piped the buttercream on them. Dipped them in the tiny amount of chocolate left, it was cute :-P.

The flavor is subtle and, to me at least, it doesn't linger, which leaves the taste buds wanting for more.

but, it is definitely less sweet than white chocolate, and I think it could complement some flavors very well.

I can see myself using it for some special chocolates, as I usually don't work with white chocolate, this could be a thing.

Now, I need more!

20190811_113906.jpg

• Like 4

Vanessa

Was so excited to see a bag of the Ruby, at the company office (the new place I am working part time at). They have a table with a bunch of samples and there it was a large sample of Ruby.

So I took possession of it, cause well, after all, I am the chocolatier there, right?!

I am thinking a pistachio marzipan or gianduia, with a simple butter ganache, cut and dip in the same chocolate. Ohh, play time 🤗

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...