• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evening.

Hi Guys 

I'm CCST, a Brit currently living in central/north Queensland. I have lurked here for a long time, longer than I have had my account, and often enough that its made me feel kinda creepy if I don't at least say Thank You once in a while for harvesting your knowledge and chuckling at your anecdotes. 

As for my name, obviously, to quote a kids movie, anyone can cook, however, I lack the flair, the natural ability and the talent that many cooks have (combined with a shocking palate). I really have to try, to research and to stick to the rules, but, I enjoy it and that's why I love these boards. I love to prepare food, I am often sick of the sight of it by the time it comes to eating myself though, and I am so unadventurous with my own eating, so, perhaps I am a feeder rather than a foodie. 

Anyway thanks for all you have already unknowingly shared with me, I shall try and post up occasionally - please forgive me in advance - all my photos are likely to be taken last minute on my ancient phone, that probably will have sticky finger prints on the lens.  

CCST

• Like 5

Welcome! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It's nice when someone interesting de-lurks, at least for a post or two. Since you've been around, you probably already know where to find things on the forums. However, if you run into problems feel free to ask a host (I am one of them) by Personal Messenger, a.k.a. PM, or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

If you'd care to tell more about the move from Great Britain to Queensland, and how the food differs, or what culture shocks (if any) you may have experienced, I think you'd have an eager audience. :)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome CCST to the forum.  Sometimes I feel as if that might well be my nickname.  Basically only learned to 'cook' in my mid-60s and still have so much to learn.

I love the fact that your intro was funny.  There is not enough gentle funniness in our world.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I love to prepare food, I am often sick of the sight of it by the time it comes to eating myself though, and I am so unadventurous with my own eating, so, perhaps I am a feeder rather than a foodie. 

I can sooooo identify with this CCST.  Working in kitchens, both professional and at home, I have struggled with this and almost no one understands that by the time the food is ready to go on table my brain tells my body that I have already eaten...though I haven't.  

Looking forward to you expanding your repertoire ......

suzi

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites