• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IowaDee

IowaDee

Because I can't stop blabbing I guess!

We shop at a midwest chain called HyVee.  It is employee owned and has wonderful service.  They offer home delivery too.  I always see at least one "shopper" when we are there.  I notice how very, very carefully they examine each item before adding it to the cart.  They are at least as picky about fruits and veggies as I am.  Each apple, potato and onion get the picky housewife check.  I suspect it is the same way with meat selection.  

We don't have a lot of different grocery store to pick from, HyVee, Aldies and Fareway, but they are all good. Only Hyvee offers home delivery.   One day a week, they run a bus to pick up people who have no way to get to the store.  At a set time, they take them home again and carry in their groceries.  No charge for this service.  I don't know the details other than that, but what a great service it is.

I should add that these three stores are 25+miles from our house.  The only really local store will shop for you and have it bagged and ready to pick up.  But the quality leaves much to be desired and most of the meat looks downright scary.  We have an amazing butcher's shop here that more than makes up for that.

IowaDee

IowaDee

We shop at a midwest chain called HyVee.  It is employee owned and has wonderful service.  They offer home delivery too.  I always see at least one "shopper" when we are there.  I notice how very, very carefully they examine each item before adding it to the cart.  They are at least as picky about fruits and veggies as I am.  Each apple, potato and onion get the picky housewife check.  I suspect it is the same way with meat selection.  

We don't have a lot of different grocery store to pick from, HyVee, Aldies and Fareway, but they are all good. Only Hyvee offers home delivery.   One day a week, they run a bus to pick up people who have no way to get to the store.  At a set time, they take them home again and carry in their groceries.  No charge for this service.  I don't know the details other than that, but what a great service it is.