• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese "Red" Chicken?

Martin Fisher

My late friend, Bill C., who's been gone a little over 15 years (RIP Bill :sad:) told me that chicken he had in Vietnam, during the war—what he called 'red chicken'—was the best chicken he'd ever had.

I don't know if this was something common to just a specific area or what.

And I'm not sure how often he saw land—he told me that his service was mostly on a ship off shore (something he didn't talk about much) and that he didn't see combat—but I'm not sure that was true as he did seem to show some signs of shell-shock or battle stress. :S

Anyway, I can't remember him noting any details other than the chicken was red.

I don't remember him mentioning if it was on the bone or off the bone.

Was this chicken marinaded in some sort of soy sauce brine that made it look red?

I have done some Google searches over the years but I've never found anything that looked promising.

I've been curious in regard to this for years!

Any ideas?

Thanks! 

:smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Could it be related to Chinese red-cooked (红烧 hóng shāo) dishes? They are braised in soy sauce, often with sugar.

I'm off on one of my trips tomorrow and will always certainly meet some Vietnamese people who live here. I'll ask if they know it and can describe it.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Unfortunately the Vietnamese for 'red chicken', gà đỏ means the breed of chicken, Rhode Island Red. I'll ask wiser people!

I know without a doubt that he was referring to the coloration of the cooked chicken.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm off on one of my trips tomorrow and will always certainly meet some Vietnamese people who live here. I'll ask if they know it and can describe it.

Thank you! :smile:

@DiggingDogFarm

I'm back home and did, as expected, meet some Vietnamese people on my short trip down to the China-Vietnam border area. I remained on the Chinese side this time.

Unfortunately, and I should have thought of this earlier, the people I met were all from North Vietnam, particularly Hanoi. I'm taking a wild guess that your friend Bill wasn't stationed in North Vietnam!

Anyway, I asked and, after a few blank looks, they concluded that 'red chicken'  is probably some kind of variation on Chinese red-cooking (红烧 hóng shāo) as I mentioned, but they weren't 100%  sure.

As you suggested it may be a different, regional dish which they don't know. Do you know where he was stationed?

In the meantime. I'm sorry I haven't been able to help much, but I will keep accosting passing Vietnamese and demand a sensible explanation!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I will keep accosting passing Vietnamese and demand a sensible explanation!

This made me laugh out loud, and I can just imagine you doing just that and being successful in your queries. I wouldn't dream of it unless I had a wee bit too much to drink. xD

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Do you know where he was stationed?

No, all I can recall is that he said he spent most of his time on a ship off the coast.

I don't remember him mentioning a specific or even relatively general location. :S

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm sorry I haven't been able to help much, but I will keep accosting passing Vietnamese and demand a sensible explanation!

Thank you! :smile:

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Chinese use red dye to make their roasted pork red.

Roast pork I see and buy here in China is never dyed that bright red color which seems to more of an American thing.

Here's the most popular roast pork stall in my local market. No dye involved.

IMG_9774.jpg&key=1656070a13b3602a7ebb213

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

• 6 months later...

@liuzhou, any more on this?

I think about this frequently.

I sure wish I could find the answer.

Anyone else?

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

On 9/6/2017 at 5:01 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

No, all I can recall is that he said he spent most of his time on a ship off the coast.

I've always thought that he may have not been honest in regard to where he was stationed.

Intuition led me to think that he wasn't entirely forthcoming—in many ways me seemed  'shell-shocked.'

So, I have no idea exactly where he encountered 'red chicken.'

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

@KennethT, are you willing to take a trip to Vietnam and ferret out 'red chicken'? LOL xD

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

@liuzhou, any more on this?

I think about this frequently.

I sure wish I could find the answer.

Anyone else?

Sorry, I've drawn a blank, but I am going to Vietnam later this month, so will continue to ask.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sorry, I've drawn a blank, but I am going to Vietnam later this month, so will continue to ask.

Thanks! :)

Could the "red" chicken by any chance have been a red chicken curry? I am not knowledgeable with Vietnamese dishes but have heard that they make a red chicken curry (or maybe thought of such a dish in my dreams last night^_^).!?!?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Maybe it was bbq roast duck and he thought it was chicken. I remember a episode of bizarre foods where AZ was in Vietnam and there was a stand in the market that had a bunch of bbq ducks hanging that were really "red" in color.

• 6 months later...

I think about this often.

I very much regret not asking Bill more questions! :(