• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Gran Mexicano

Rachel Perlow

Well, I'm going to ask the obvious question... if one doesn't find great mole poblano at El Gran Mexicano, then where? Provided there is a place within the NY Metro area I'd like to be able to have a concrete example I can taste rather than a theoretical one.

I do know that the Mexican chocolate used to to make Mexican hot chocolate (i.e. Ibarra) is very sweet. In fact, it's too sweet for my tastes. There was a short discussion of that on this thread.

There's also some more discussion on moles and Mexican chocolate on this thread where the general consensus seems to be that Mexican chocolate is sweet.

Keep in mind, I'm not arguing that there is no unsweetened chocolate used in Mexico... after all wasn't it the Aztecs who first discovered chocolate? I would imagine there must be SOME diversity in the types of chocolate available. However, running with Joy's idea above, perhaps a telephone call to El Gran would settle the question of which type of chocolate THEY use in their mole poblano?

I'd also like to add that I'm still a fan of their mole poblano... just in case that got lost in the above. :wink:

It seems that Nockerl and I are BOTH right.

http://www.ramekins.com/mole/recipesmole.html

Recipes here that use Abuelita, Ibarra and UNSWEETENED chocolate.

So as usual, it boils down to the family tradition itself or the person making it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Glad you got that out of your system? :biggrin:

To be honest, for years I've always heard that Mole Poblano=unsweetened chocolate. Jason isn't the only one. Then again, I've also heard that there are no less than 10,000 different recipes for it. :wink:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I stopped by El Gran tonight and asked Mauricio about the mole poblano. He said it IS made from sweet chocolate and yet that it IS supposed to have that bitterness from the toasting of the peppers. So basically, we're all right and we're all wrong and I don't know what's what anymore.

Glad that's settled.