• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft salad, what is it?

joiei

There is a new to Tulsa restaurant opening very soon.  They are claiming to be focusing on healthy lifestyles.  Basically they are a pizza and salad bar type of place.  What they are pushing is handmade pizzas and craft salads.  What is a craft salad?  Online i found a restaurant in Manila named Craft Salad: I also found out that Sizzler calls their salad bar Craft salad.  What makes it craft?  It's a salad bar  Are we going to be facing a whole bunch of places starting to call their salads craft salads?  Then I went to their nutritional page and realized that I probably will not eat there.  Most of the nutrient breakdowns were for what they called Mini size.  About one cup.  Very deceiving.  The soups were given in 6 oz portions which they called a cup.  I pay attention to the sources of fat,sodium, carbs, and am starting to pay attention to cholesterol.  I'm still wondering what the heck a craft salad is.  Is it a regional thing?  

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Marketing....

That's one way to put it. I have another.

So far as I know 'craft' has no legally defined meaning in trade description law in any English speaking territory, which means it is meaningless. Any industrial conglomerate could use it.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

37 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Marketing....

That's one way to put it. I have another.

Yeah, I was thinking much less ... polite :P

Mostly because salad isn't crafted, it's a bunch of ingredients.  Putting quinoa, edamame, activated charcoal, acai, and whatever other "superfoods" are trending on a salad bar isn't crafting anything.  Curating, maybe, but  that would still be silly.  Unless they bake their own bread from scratch, maybe they have hand-cut croutons.  To me, craft requires transformation.  Pouring bags of spring mix and cheese crumbles into hotel pans for people to serve themselves ain't it.

• Like 1