• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bamix Immersion (Stick) Blenders

liuzhou

Love mine which was a gift many years ago and already used at that point.  I almost never use any of the accessories but even without them it is still a workhorse. If I could change anything it would be to have the business end removable so it could be tossed in the sink or dishwasher.  It is rarely a big deal to just rinse it off under the tap.  Still it would be nice to be able to detach it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I totally agree with Anna, I love my Bamix, it's well-built and powerful and essential in my kitchen. especially for soups and dressings.

It would be nice to detach the bottom so it could go in the d/w but, again, it's not too big a deal.  It's possible the detachability would affect the overall strength of the blender.

Mine came with three tips...one for chopping, one for whipping and one for blending.

I use the first two but mostly just the chopping blade.

You may want to take a look at the Kitchen Aid model, it does have the detachable bottom and was top rated by CI though now it's been surpassed by a Braun.  I don't believe they included Bamix in their tests.

Edited by lindag (log)

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I have my heart set on acquiring one of these.

Anyone have one (or more). Impressions? Good or less good. Recommended models? Anything.

Are you limiting your brand choice to Bamix or are you asking generically?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are you limiting your brand choice to Bamix or are you asking generically?

I think he has his heart set on a Bamix.  But maybe not will wait for him to chime in. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This is the model I have

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/bamix-mono-immersion-blender-stick-hand?_vsrefdom=gpshop&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgcjF6MiE1gIVibbACh1kewb0EAQYBiABEgL9b_D_BwE

One thing that I found very useful is the wall mount...I hung mine in the pantry and it takes up little space.

Bamix Mono M133 - 140 watt 2 Speed 3 Blade Immersion Hand Blender with Beaker and Wall Bracket

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

Bamix is a relatively low powered and low speed blender, at 140 Watts and 8,000 rpm.

Many blenders work at 200 watts to over 300 watts, and up to 20,000 rpm.

That does not mean Bamix is not a good blender. It depends on your preference.

dcarch

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Bamix is a relatively low powered and low speed blender, at 140 Watts and 8,000 rpm.

dcarch

Bamix makes several different models.  The first I looked at was specified 350 watt and 22,000 rpm.

If it helps, my rotor stator homogenizer has a Bamix motor unit.

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

Not all Bamix blenders are such low power. They have a range. The Bamiix I've been considering, the Bamix Gastro 350, is 350 watts and 22,000 rpm.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

350 watts and 22,000rpm would be a fun tool in the kitchen. You can really do a lot with that kind of power and RPM.

Do consider this:

A stick blender typically uses what is known as a universal motor. A universal motor needs a lot of ventilation to dissipate heat build up.

The physics  law of energy conservation applies. 1 watt = 3.412 BTUs.

Unlike most other mechanical devices, a stick blender cannot ventilate heat buildup because it needs to be water proof. So 300 watts, at full load (blending thick stuff) 300 x 3.412 = 1023 btus of heat.

It can get pretty hot to hold on to.

dcarch

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bamix makes several different models.  The first I looked at was specified 350 watt and 22,000 rpm.

If it helps, my rotor stator homogenizer has a Bamix motor unit.

May I enquire about your rotostator 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dcarch said:

350 watts and 22,000rpm would be a fun tool in the kitchen. You can really do a lot with that kind of power and RPM.

Do consider this:

A stick blender typically uses what is known as a universal motor. A universal motor needs a lot of ventilation to dissipate heat build up.

Unlike most other mechanical devices, a stick blender cannot ventilate heat buildup because it needs to be water proof. So 300 watts, at full load (blending thick stuff) 300 x 3.412 = 1023 btus of heat.

dcarch

I think the manufacturers probably know that and so, make the handles from heat resistant materials.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, dcarch said:

Do consider this:

dcarch

Yeah, I burnt out my Kitchen-Aid.

• 1 year later...

To anyone who owns a Bamix:

Would you be willing to take (and post) a photo(s) of the Bamix on the wall bracket?

I'd like to see what kind of space it needs.

TIA.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

To anyone who owns a Bamix:

Would you be willing to take (and post) a photo(s) of the Bamix on the wall bracket?

I'd like to see what kind of space it needs.

TIA.

I would if I could but mine has never been mounted. It just sits at one end of my breakfast bar.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, dcarch said:

Do consider this:

dcarch

I don't think consumer immersion blenders are designed to work at full power for long stretches, as you might with a Vita Prep.

Commercial versions with similar ratings are usually bigger, heavier, and with more ventilation, like this:

https://www.missionrs.com/waring-products-wsb40-quick-stik-plus-immersion-blender-10-inch-24-qt.html?st-t=i00600001&mrsdc=chill25&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vRL5DJwY6RDWIjtck7zykUCM4gJqDWwcLr7MNaBS9SCXnXO-lZ9Wd0aAuEkEALw_wcB

I don't know about about this one in particular, but ones I've seen in the flesh are clearly meant for use in big pots and would be pretty unwieldy for the kinds of things most of us grab a stick blender for. 

I like the idea of high rpms for some uses. I don't think I need the thing to be excessively burly. If I need to blend a big volume of something thick I'll use a countertop blender.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would if I could but mine has never been mounted. It just sits at one end of my breakfast bar.

Mine looks like this.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

This bad boy works pretty well, but it's likely to be overkill for your needs. We had one of these at a place I worked several years ago. We referred to it as the "trolling motor" or "thunderstick," and by God it'll blend anything you need blended. A bit large for the home kitchen, though. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

I bought Bamix NSF Commercial Pro Series Model G200 Pro-2 today!

Interesting that I just found this comment by @DouginCMH from 2014 which was exactly my problem with my old KitchenAids (2):

Edited by TdeV
Edited to add multiple broken KitchenAids! (log)
  • Like 2