• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email:

A new cookbook, so not a lot of reviews...
"The Easy Filipino Cookbook: 100 Classics Made Simple" Kindle Edition $.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Thanks for that, Toliver. I sprang for that, and then went down the Kindle rabbit hole to arrive at Saffron in the Souk for $3.99. Not quite the usual bargain-basement price, but for 4 bucks I think it's a good buy.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Some finds from this afternoon:

Patricia Wells' "My Master Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"All About Cake: A Milk Bar Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

From the Williamsburg restaurant of the same name, "Saltie: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

14 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Some finds from this afternoon:

Patricia Wells' "My Master Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"All About Cake: A Milk Bar Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

From the Williamsburg restaurant of the same name, "Saltie: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Shoot.  The cake book is not on sale in Canada.

Patricia Wells' book was too good to pass up for me. I love the theme-and-variation approach to learning about cooking, and I think I'll easily get a couple of buck's worth of knowledge. Thanks, Toliver!

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

45 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Patricia Wells' book was too good to pass up for me. I love the theme-and-variation approach to learning about cooking, and I think I'll easily get a couple of buck's worth of knowledge. Thanks, Toliver!

I went for Wells' book too.  I should note amazon is currently offering a $1.50 digital media credit for orders with no rush shipping.  In my experience the credits apply to many eBooks in this thread.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

"Joy of Cooking: 2019 Edition Fully Revised and Updated" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "llok Inside" feature and scroll down quite a way to see actual listings of recipes 9in the menu planning section), then scroll down to see many recipes from the cookbook.

Dan Lepard's "The Handmade Loaf: The book that started a baking revolution" Kindle Edition $.99US
Use the "llok Inside" feature and scroll down to see lots of pictures illustrating the different kinds of breads you can make.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Getting a kindle edition of Joy was too tempting to resist.

Is the current edition any good?

We will see!

• Like 1

A new month but I'm finding a lot of the bargain ecookbooks now listed have been offered before.

These are new...

Danny Bowien's "The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The William Greenberg Desserts Cookbook: Classic Desserts from an Iconic New York City Bakery" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see Chapter One's recipe list and then scroll further down to see some recipes.
NOTE: A couple of reviewers thought some ingredients or steps were left out of the recipes. Buyer beware, I guess!

"The Party Food Bible: 565 Recipes for Amuse-Bouches, Flavorful Canapés, and Festive Finger Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see lots of recipes.

"Pure Vanilla: Irresistible Recipes and Essential Techniques" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Another from my BookBub email and one I found this morning:

Matt Pellegrini's "The Art of Baking Bread: What You Really Need to Know to Make Great Bread" Kindle Edition $1.99US
NOTE: One reviewer complained that the measurements in the cookbook are in grams, not Imperial measurements.:B

"The Great Holiday Slow Cooker Book: 32 Easy, Delicious Recipes Worth Celebrating in Every Size of Machine : A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the short list of recipes and scroll further down to see some recipes.

Oddly, they offer multiple versions of their recipes that depend on the size of your slow cooker. You can see what I mean using the "Look Inside" feature to see the differences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

Another one from my BookBub email and the rest were stumbled over on Amazon. A couple may have been posted before:

"Do You Know the Muffin Pan?: 100 Fun, Easy-to-Make Muffin Pan Meals" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside feature and scroll down to see recipes.
NOTE: The first reviewer on this cookbook's Amazon info page mentioned continuous poor editing in the cookbook. But most reviews have been positive.

"The Cookiepedia: Mixing Baking, and Reinventing the Classics" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside feature to see the short list of recipes.

Food blogger Lindsay Landis' "The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook: Cookies, Cakes, Candies, and More" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see one of the recipes from the cookbook.

"The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches: Recipes, History, and Trivia for Everything Between Sliced Bread" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Haute Dogs: Recipes for Delicious Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"On a Stick!: 80 Party-Perfect Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prim memmber and the price you see may vary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Do You Know the Muffin Pan?: 100 Fun, Easy-to-Make Muffin Pan Meals" Kindle Edition $1.99US
NOTE: The first reviewer on this cookbook's Amazon info page mentioned continuous poor editing in the cookbook. But most reviews have been positive.

I fell for this one but I’m sorry I did even for only $1.99. Most of the recipes I’ve looked at make enormous quantities. I can do the math but then I’m left with all kinds of leftover ingredients. Your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I fell for this one but I’m sorry I did even for only $1.99. Most of the recipes I’ve looked at make enormous quantities. I can do the math but then I’m left with all kinds of leftover ingredients. Your mileage may vary. 

Just wanted to add that it was not from @Toliver’s post that I bought this one but something that came in my email. I don’t ever want him to feel responsible for my bad decisions!  I love reading his posts. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't usually post diet/vegan/vegetarian cookbooks, but will post this for any Giada fans out there...

A follow-up to her "Feel Good Food" cookbook, this is Giada De Laurentiis' "Happy Cooking: Make Every Meal Count ... Without Stressing Out: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

This has been posted before but I am re-posting it due to his recent passing:
"Floyd Cardoz: Flavorwalla: Big Flavor. Bold Spices. A New Way to Cook the Foods You Love." Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive:
Winner for the UK in the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2020 in the Mediterranean category, "Provence: Recipes from the French Mediterranean" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to almost the bottom of the user interface to see the first chapter's listing of recipes.

Edited to add:

I should have known I would stumble across another cookbook after posting:

Slightly more expensive...

"From a Persian Kitchen: Authentic recipes and fabulous flavours from Iran" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Written by and photographed by Atoosa Sepehr.

Dagnabit! Another one!

I have been waiting a long time for this book to come down in price...finally!

Named one of the Top 10 Cookbooks of 2017 by the Los Angeles Times:
Jet Tila's "101 Asian Dishes You Need to Cook Before You Die: Discover a New World of Flavors in Authentic Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recips from the cookbook.

Edited by Toliver
To add yet another cookbook (log)
  • Like 3

Tim Oliver

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Better get with it.

I got me one.  Just to feel like life is normal.  Also to impress my Chinese daughter in law ;)

• Haha 3

Some more bargain books found this morning. 

"Heritage Cookies of the Old and New World" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes, then scroll down to see some recipes.

"The Complete Italian Cookbook: Essential Regional Cooking of Italy" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes, then scroll down to see some recipes.

"Little Old Lady Recipes: Comfort Food and Kitchen Table Wisdom" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

"The Simple Kitchen: Quick and Easy Recipes Bursting With Flavor" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Not any more.

It still is, on my screen. Must be another of those Amazon whims, or a Canadian vs. USA thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cdh said:

Yes, this cookbook has been previously posted in the past which is why I didn't post it again.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Not any more.

It is still sale-priced on the US Amazon web site. Sorry! :(

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, cdh said:

Thanks!  Now I have my own copy of that ranch dressing so I don't have to hunt around here for it....you know....in case I ever decide to make it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3