• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

I already have the hardbound version of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry. Now, I'll be able to take it on the road on my tablet. Thanks, Toliver!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

One from this morning's BookBub email:

"Cooking Basics: Tips on Mastering the Fundamentals of Good Cooking (Idiot's Guides)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

For beginners.

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Again, from this morning's BookBub email...a familiar name:

Mark Bittman's "The Minimalist Cooks Dinner: More Than 100 Recipes for Fast Weeknight Meals and Casual Entertaining" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, plus scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email...a book about "small bites":

"Petite Eats: Appetizers, Tasters, Miniature Desserts, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

Recipes from the show, the contestants and the judges...

"MasterChef: The Ultimate Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to read some of the recipes.
There are three recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Edited to add a cookbook from a MasterChef winner:

"Whitney Miller's New Southern Table: My Favorite Family Recipes with a Modern Twist" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to read some of the recipes.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

One from this morning's BookBub email:

Master chef Magnus Johansson's "Cooking with Chocolate: The Best Recipes and Tips from a Master Pastry Chef" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email, once again, a familiar name:

Hugh Acheson's "The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature so see the list of vegetables and fruit that the recipes are centered around. Then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Tim Oliver

Doggonit, I already have too many unexplored (or barely explored) cookbooks. That said, the prose and ideas of the introduction were well worth $1.99 on their own. Thanks, Toliver. (...I think. I may have to upgrade my storage before long.)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

More found this afternoon:

Rebecca Lindamood's "Not Your Mama's Canning Book: Modern Canned Goods and What to Make with Them" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of the recipes.

Marcus Samuelsson's "Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
On this cookbook's Amazon info page, there are three downloadable PDF files of three recipes from the cookbook.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes from the cookbook.

CakeLove author Warren Brown's "United Cakes of America: Recipes Celebrating Every State" Kindle Edition $2.99US
He tackles the country by regions. Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes from the cookbook.

His CakeLove cookbook is also on sale. Look for it on this cookbook's Amazon page.

A slightly more expensive cookbook,  dealing with Peruvian Cuisine. This may have been previously posted.

Virgilio Martinez & Luciana Bianchi's "LIMA the cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes from the cookbook.

Tim Oliver

This was in my BookBub email:

"Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book: Her Biggest Ever Collection of All-New 30-Minute Meals Plus Kosher Meals, Meals for One, Veggie Dinners, Holiday Favorites, and Much More!: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
There's a recipe from the cookbook on the Amazon Info page for this cookbook:
Smoky Tomato Soup with Mini Grilled Cheese and Bacon Sammies

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down a little to see a bunch of recipes from the cookbook.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I'm curious -- who needs a recipe for grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches, mini or otherwise?

I own the hard bound version of Eric Greenspan's The Great Grilled Cheese Book: Grown-Up Recipes for a Childhood Classic: A Cookbook, so perhaps I'm in that group.

I am sorry to say that today's picks are all slightly higher than the normal bargain price:

Patti Labelle's "Desserts LaBelle: Soulful Sweets to Sing About" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Repoertedly, her infamous Sweet Potato Pie recipe is in this cookbook.

Top Chef alum "Harold Dieterle's Kitchen Notebook: Hundreds of Recipes, Tips, and Techniques for Cooking Like a Chef at Home" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"Chocolate: A Love Story: 65 Chocolate Dessert Recipes from Max Brenner's Private Collection" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes from the cookbook.

And from England, an updated version of the very old original book...

"Mrs Beeton How to Cook: 220 Classic Recipes Updated for the Modern Cook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Cocktails!

"Mix Shake Stir: Recipes from Danny Meyer's Acclaimed New York City Restaurants" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

A new month and new cookbooks on sale...though not very many. You can find the complete listing on Amazon's Kindle Deals>Cookbooks category.

Here's some that I found on Amazon, some from a TASTE email and also from a BookBub email:

Christopher Kostow's "A New Napa Cuisine: [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US
There are two downloadable recipes on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Erin French's "The Lost Kitchen: Recipes and a Good Life Found in Freedom, Maine: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook: Plainly Delicious Recipes from the Simple Life" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Hannah Hart's "My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Ciderhouse Cookbook: 127 Recipes That Celebrate the Sweet, Tart, Tangy Flavors of Apple Cider" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And one that is slightly more expensive (that I believe has been posted in the past):

Ken Forkish's "The Elements of Pizza: Unlocking the Secrets to World-Class Pies at Home [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  Somehow My Drunk Kitchen called to me.

Of course it did. 

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From this morning's BookBub email:

Josef Centeno's "Bäco: Vivid Recipes from the Heart of Los Angeles" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

On 9/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, Toliver said:

Christopher Kostow's "A New Napa Cuisine: [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This is a very nice book if you like professional cookbooks from michelin star restaurants. Lots of nice dishes and explanations. Not useful for home cooking, recipes are very difficult and involved.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, Toliver said:

This is a sort of minor sister to Vivian Howard, the approach is really similar. Content is not top class like on "Deep Run Roots", but still pretty good. Photos are awesome.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

From this morning's BookBub email. One for the InstantPot, etc, owners:

Sheri Castle's "Instantly Southern: 85 Southern Favorites for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker, and Instant Pot® : A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Sorry for the double post but I just stumbled across these on Amazon:

New York Times bestselling novelist Eileen Goudge's "Something Warm from the Oven: Baking Memories, Making Memories" Kindle Edition $1.99US
A memoir with recipes.
Described as a Kindle Single.

"A History of Chowder: Four Centuries of a New England Meal" Kindle Edition $2.99US
A historical look at chowder which also includes some recipes.

And slightly more expensive that the cookbooks I usually post in here:

Chef Michel Roux Jr.'s "Les Abats: Recipes celebrating the whole beast" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Tim Oliver

From my BookBub email:

Amanda Hesser's (and others) "Food52 A New Way to Dinner: A Playbook of Recipes and Strategies for the Week Ahead [A Cookbook] (Food52 Works)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver