• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

I just took a wander through the Cooking with Deep Run Roots thread and here are a few more that I really liked:

Roasted and fresh tomato pie

Fried Chicken Livers with Balsamic-Marinated Figs

Stuffed Butternut Bottoms

Brussels Sprouts, Apples and Pomegranate Salad with Blue Cheese Honey Vinaigrette

Blueberries and Cucumbers with Pistachios and Yogurt

My Favorite Beet Salad

Blueberry-Rosemary Breakfast Pudding

Charred Spring Vegetables with Creamy Scallion Dressing and Hushpuppy Croutons

Collard Dolmades with Sweet Potato Yogurt

Sage Honey-Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Bacon-Roasted Rutabagas

Stewed Tomato Shirred Eggs with Ham Chips

Okra Oven Fries

There are more but that's a good start.  

And thanks for asking as I came across a few I'd like to make again.   I've made the Party Magnet Cheese Balls a lot.  They freeze nicely but sadly there aren't any in my freezer at the moment!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Had to spring for Milk Street and the casserole. I'm southern and Methodist. Casseroles are in my blood.

(I am convinced it's part of the Methodist Discipline that one must own a 9 x 13 pan. I'm quite sure John Wesley said so.)

Did you know that there were quite a number of books devoted to the 9 x 13? Here’s just one of them:  Click.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

So the Kindle Deals for cookbooks went from one page to nine pages all of a sudden. The listings may be worth looking through as I didn't post everything that may be of interest (some listings were slightly higher than bargain-priced, too).

What is the link to the deals page?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Had to get that. The author is obviously Methodist.

I had actually spotted this book the last time I was in HomeSense. I picked it up and was about to buy it when the thought hit me that I live alone, I have few visitors,  I rarely make anything that will fill a 9 x 13 pan anymore. Duh.  Hence I do not own it.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is the link to the deals page?

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_11552285011_nr_n_6?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A11552285011%2Cn%3A156154011&bbn=11552285011&ie=UTF8&qid=1537376518&rnid=11552285011

Go to Amazon and select their Kindle Bookstore (Departments>Books & Audible>Kindle books)

Once you go to the Kindle Books page, click on "Kindle Book Deals" located in center of the the space just under the black section at the top of the web page.

Once you're taken to the Kindle Deals Page, on the left hand side you will see a list of topics/categories. Click on Cookbooks, Food & Wine and those deals having to do with that topic will be presented to you.

edited to add, today the Kindle Deals "Cookbooks, Food & Wine" listing shows 10 pages of results, where it was previously 9 pages. So someone is adding deals!

edited to correct spelking ;) and also to add, it looks like they added a bunch of American Test Kitchen cookbooks. Some are actual cookbooks (like their slow cooker cookbook) and others are "light" books, meaning they've culled recipes from their other past cookbooks and made a "new" cookbook. These books are easy to recognize by the lower number of recipes included in those cookbooks. 

Also, some of the regular ATK cookbooks are not bargained priced. For example they will be priced $3.99US instead of $2.99US or lower.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For some reason some of America's Test Kitchens books appear to be on sale today. No idea why, not only the upcoming release nudge to get more reviews on previous cookbooks makes much sense. Just happening...

The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook    $3.99

The Complete Slow Cooker        $2.99

The Perfect Cookie      $3.99

Cooking at Home with Bridget and Julia  $3.99

The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook  $3.99

Multi cooker Perfection       $2.99

There is a Vegan cookbook and a Holiday cookbook and possibly even more. 

13 minutes ago, thurbers said:

For some reason some of America's Test Kitchens books appear to be on sale today. No idea why, not only the upcoming release nudge to get more reviews on previous cookbooks makes much sense. Just happening...

The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook    $3.99

The Complete Slow Cooker        $2.99

The Perfect Cookie      $3.99

Cooking at Home with Bridget and Julia  $3.99

The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook  $3.99

Multi cooker Perfection       $2.99

There is a Vegan cookbook and a Holiday cookbook and possibly even more. 

One of the reviews for "Cooking at Home with Bridget and Julia" states "Nice book but no new recipes. All of these are in The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook."

I'm glad I didn't spring for it.

Tim Oliver

I used to have quite a few of their books.  Then one day I took a closer look at them and realized that the same recipe will show up in a number of their books.  In other words, they peddle the same recipe multiple times.  Buyer beware.

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for cookie cookbooks, and I'm building my slow cooker and multi-cooker (aka pressure cooker) library. So I went for those despite likely having versions of recipes before, even if not from ATK. But I don't know if I would have sprung for any if I had more of their 'comprehensive' or season cookbooks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thurbers said:

I'm a sucker for cookie cookbooks, and I'm building my slow cooker and multi-cooker (aka pressure cooker) library. So I went for those despite likely having versions of recipes before, even if not from ATK. But I don't know if I would have sprung for any if I had more of their 'comprehensive' or season cookbooks. 

@thurbers, you and any other recent Instant Pot/multi-cooker converts may be interested in Hip Pressure Cooking: Fast, Fresh, and Flavorful by eG member @pazzaglia.  

The Kindle version of the book is currently on special for $2.99 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.  I'm not terribly wild about the name but it's a great book for both conventional and electric pressure cookers.  

I'd recommend it at full price but especially at this discount. 

• Like 3

This came from my morning Bookbub email:

"Chinese Street Food: Small Bites, Classic Recipes, and Harrowing Tales Across the Middle Kingdom" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I found it interesting that the recipe index was in Chinese as well as English. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

I am a US prime member and the price you see may vary.

edited to add that on the Kindle Deals page there's a section that states "Up to 80% off 100+ top cookbooks" which explains why their cookbooks-on-sale pages jumped up to 10 (there's 9 today) up from 1 page earlier this month.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

This came from my morning Bookbub email:

"Chinese Street Food: Small Bites, Classic Recipes, and Harrowing Tales Across the Middle Kingdom" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I found it interesting that the recipe index was in Chinese as well as English. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

I fell for this one. $1.99 on .ca. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

One stumbled upon this afternoon:

Alice Waters' "My Pantry: Homemade Ingredients That Make Simple Meals Your Own" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

It looks like all of the recent sale cookbooks are no longer on sale. :(

I found this one this afternoon:

"Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

It looks like all of the recent sale cookbooks are no longer on sale. :(

I found this one this afternoon:

"Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Opps, it seem I already own it.  Now if I could only use a donabe on my electric stove...

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Opps, it seem I already own it.  Now if I could only use a donabe on my electric stove...

”Don't let inflexible ideas of authenticity get in the way of deliciousness.” Nick Kindelsperger (Chicago Tribune).

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

This is not the usual sale-priced bargain cookbook. Its price is slightly higher. 

America's Test Kitchen's "Bread Illustrated: A Step-By-Step Guide to Achieving Bakery-Quality Results At Home" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I don't think this is one of their recipes-culled-from-another-cookbook cookbooks. The book info says it's 432 pages long.

It's unfortunate there's no listing of the recipes inside.

Tim Oliver

16 hours ago, Toliver said:

This is not the usual sale-priced bargain cookbook. Its price is slightly higher. 

America's Test Kitchen's "Bread Illustrated: A Step-By-Step Guide to Achieving Bakery-Quality Results At Home" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I don't think this is one of their recipes-culled-from-another-cookbook cookbooks. The book info says it's 432 pages long.

It's unfortunate there's no listing of the recipes inside.

As of now (16 hours later, according to the time stamp), the price on this book is $17.99...and I too am a US Prime member!

• Sad 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

8 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

As of now (16 hours later, according to the time stamp), the price on this book is $17.99...and I too am a US Prime member!

This sort of thing drives me nuts. 

Did I stumble onto this sale-priced cookbook at the tail-end of its sale? And if so, why didn't I see it before? 

Or was it just a 1-day sale...a sort of "flash sale"?

My apologies if anyone is disappointed in my posting...

Tim Oliver

31 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Understanding the ways of Amazon pricing is beyond me but I very much appreciate your posts.  You are not dumping lists of books but choosing deals that may be of interest to this group of cooks.  The Amazon cookbook Kindle deal page is usually awash in books devoted to popular diets or specific appliances or gadgets.  I appreciate that you pick the good ones and particularly that you regularly take the time to include information gleaned from reviews or other sources.  

Thanks!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Toliver said:

This sort of thing drives me nuts. 

Did I stumble onto this sale-priced cookbook at the tail-end of its sale? And if so, why didn't I see it before? 

Or was it just a 1-day sale...a sort of "flash sale"?

I love the fact that you take so much trouble to post books you think may be of interest to us.  I never thought I would have so many Kindle cookbooks.  Now if I only knew if there was a way to navigate through these books other than page by page......

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I love the fact that you take so much trouble to post books you think may be of interest to us.  I never thought I would have so many Kindle cookbooks.  Now if I only knew if there was a way to navigate through these books other than page by page......

As far as navigation goes, I usually find the Index, or the Table of Contents, helpful for getting what I want out of a cookbook. Often the ToC has live links to each chapter; in my preferred Kindle formats, each chapter in turn has a live-link ToC. The Search engine helps too, especially in combination with Eat Your Books. All that said, I still don't find the Kindle books as satisfying or user-friendly as the physical books, with the sole exception of portability.

@Toliver, I too am impressed with your postings about book deals, even when some go off sale too quickly. My credit card bill is a regular testament to my level of appreciation. :wink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown