• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Ohhhhhh, you're good!

Yes, she is. Suckered me in, right there. 9_9

• Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 2018-06-05 at 9:17 PM, cdh said:

Lunch in Paris is a great read. I know the author and some of the incidental characters... she spins a fine yarn, and the recipes work.

This is indeed proving to be a hidden gem. It would never have appealed to me had I come across it randomly elsewhere. Makes me want to rush into my kitchen and find space for a ménage á trois of my current favourite cusines: Japanese, Danish and French.  

I have bookmarked a number of recipes Including Rice Pudding with Drunken Raisins (involves Calvados) and her version of Daube de Boeuf. 

There is even some astute political observation here and there that is enlightening but not overly intrusive.

Yes it is indeed an almost perfect combination of narrative and recipes. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

This is indeed proving to be a hidden gem. It would never have appealed to me had I come across it randomly elsewhere. Makes me want to rush into my kitchen and find space for a ménage á trois of my current favourite cusines: Japanese, Danish and French.  

I have bookmarked a number of recipes Including Rice Pudding with Drunken Raisins (involves Calvados) and her version of Daube de Boeuf. 

There is even some astute political observation here and there that is enlightening but not overly intrusive.

Yes it is indeed an almost perfect combination of narrative and recipes. 

Dang, thanks to your post I now have this too.  I had resisted even looking at that group of specials and then I read your mention of  "Rice Pudding with Drunken Raisins (involved Calvados) which I happen to have and boom!  couldn't buy the book fast enough.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

couldn't buy the book fast enough.

You CAN be too thin, perhaps you CAN even be too rich but you could never have too many books. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Day three holdout.

Overachiever. 

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Bear with me on this one...it's non-fiction involving a "Telling Room" and an unusual piece of cheese.

Please read the book info on the Amazon page to get more of the story.

Michael Paterniti's "The Telling Room: A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge, and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

22 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Bear with me on this one...it's non-fiction involving a "Telling Room" and an unusual piece of cheese.

Please read the book info on the Amazon page to get more of the story.

Michael Paterniti's "The Telling Room: A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge, and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Really, really unfair!  Not on sale in .ca. 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Still holding out on that one. May not last much longer. Damn whoever it was suggested I could use muffin tins and not need mini-tart pans...

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

From my BookBub email:

"The Sweetapolita Bakebook: 75 Fanciful Cakes, Cookies & More to Make & Decorate" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And one with odd pricing (which I've nicknamed "Raichlen Pricing" because Amazon kept pricing Steven Raichlen's cookbooks in a similar manner for awhile): 

Renato Poliafito's "Baked Elements: Our Ten Favorite Ingredients" Kindle Edition $2.51US

And two found in this week's summer Kindle deals:

Part memoir/part cookbook:

"Maman's Homesick Pie: A Persian Heart in an American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipe index.

And a grilling cookbook from a former ball player:

Frank Thomas' "Big Hurt's Guide to BBQ and Grilling: Recipes from My Backyard to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

On 6/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, Porthos said:

@kayb.  I caved.  Mini pies won.

I will need to try some recipes but this quote from the introduction caught my eye:

"Whether you use a countertop mini pie maker appliance** or bake your pies in muffin tins or small pie plates, you may need to experiment with amounts of filling and baking times to get the pies just right. The recipes in this book are geared for four mini pies made in a standard mini pie maker appliance or four pies made in a standard muffin tin."  Gehring, Abigail R.. The Magic of Mini Pies: Sweet and Savory Miniature Pies and Tarts . Skyhorse Publishing. Kindle Edition.

I didn't even know a countertop mini pie making appliance existed. I will use my oven and pans I own when I do try a recipe. Based upon some of the pictures in the book I will most likely use a jumbo muffins pan. It seems more in line with the size of what the specialty appliance produces.

** (Asterisks added ) I need another kitchen appliance like I need ulcers.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I need another kitchen appliance like I need ulcers.

Wait a minute… There’s a kitchen appliance I don’t have?  How can this be?

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple from this afternoon...

The first one isn't even what I'd consider bargain-basement price...it's close but not quite there:

America's Test Kitchen's "How to Roast Everything: A Game-Changing Guide to Building Flavor in Meat, Vegetables, and More" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Just an FYI about some of ATK's "cheap" Kindle cookbooks (which you can find on their Amazon Author page): They have fewer recipes within them than regular Kindle cookbooks so buyer beware, IMHO.

"The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And I think this has been on sale before, but I am posting it (again) because of the author.

"Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I didn't even know a countertop mini pie making appliance existed.

@Porthos There used to be a 30 minute infomercial about a countertop appliance that looked like this (click). The hostess/emcee of the infomercial would make everything from omelettes to dessert pies in them. It was very Ronco-ish. They're be perfect for hand-held meat or fruit pies

I am sure you can find them on eBay now if you're driven to get one.;) xD

edited to add tag

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, Toliver said:

@Porthos here used to be a 30 minute infomercial about a countertop appliance that looked like this (click).

An honest thank you for reminding me why I happily live without cable or broadcast TV.

• Haha 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I found (and bought) this one this morning on Amazon's kindle books.

A History of the World in 6 Glasses Kindle Edition by Tom Standage $1.99

It's an NY times Best Seller.

Also saw this: The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones Kindle Edition by Anthony Bourdain $1.99.

USA pricing, I'm NOT a prime member.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Let the buyer beware.

America's Test Kitchen has quite a few "bargain-basement-priced" Kindle books but they're not "full-fledged" cookbooks but are "lite" cookbooks in that they have only 20 to 33 recipes in them. Tricky bastards.

I pored over this book's info page and couldn't locate where they mention how many recipes are in it. Which is why I stated "Let the buyer beware":

America's Test Kitchen's "The Best Mexican Recipes: Kitchen-Tested Recipes Put the Real Flavors of Mexico Within Reach" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Both of these have been rumbling around the bargain-basement for awhile.

Use the "Look Inside" feature with each book to see its respective recipe index.

Former publisher and editor of Fine Cooking magazine, Martha Holmberg's "Crepes: 50 Savory and Sweet Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Diane Phillips' "The Everyday Rice Cooker: Soups, Sides, Grains, Mains, and More" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

Some bargains from this morning's perusing...

This has been floating around the bargain ecookbooks section but never at a low enough price to get posted. Now it qualifies:

"Myron Mixon's BBQ Rules: The Old-School Guide to Smoking Meat" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe's "Flavorize: Great Marinades, Injections, Brines, Rubs, and Glazes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I think this may have been posted in the past, but it's on sale again.

Tony Gemignani's "The Pizza Bible: The World's Favorite Pizza Styles, from Neapolitan, Deep-Dish, Wood-Fired, Sicilian, Calzones and Focaccia to New York, New Haven, Detroit, and more" Kindle Edition $1.99US

On the book's Amazon info page, there are two links to download two of the recipes from the book.

And this is not a cookbook but is a first-hand experience tale, mixed with history of the craft of sushi:

Trevor Corson's "The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

I went for the sushi book.  I’m in my Japanese phase and interested in just about everything Japanese that’s linked to food in anyway. Thank you for posting this... I think.  I thank you... my bank account perhaps not quite so much!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Am I perhaps missing something? It seems like for the most part  that the Amazon daily deals have been the same cookbooks for maybe a week now.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;