• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Don't know if this is of any interest but  the kindle version of Alex Guarnaschelli's The Home Cook has been marked down to $2.99 for however long. 

The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart

And add me to those whose ebook cook book collection is so large it would run me out of my apartment if I had the physical books. I still love a real cookbook, but I can't resist the chance to read and sample a wide variety of cook books from classics to the latest hot thing with little money and no need for shelf space.  

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thurbers said:

Don't know if this is of any interest but  the kindle version of Alex Guarnaschelli's The Home Cook has been marked down to $2.99 for however long. 

And add me to those whose ebook cook book collection is so large it would run me out of my apartment if I had the physical books. I still love a real cookbook, but I can't resist the chance to read and sample a wide variety of cook books from classics to the latest hot thing with little money and no need for shelf space.  

Her introduction alone (in the Sample) is worth 3 bucks.  Thanks (I think) for this link! 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hmmm. At Amazon.ca the Kindle version is a dollar more than the hardcopy and at $36.98 I gave it to pass.   :D

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Earlier this week, the Smitten Kitchen blog gave a shout-out to The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook: Fresh and Foolproof Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker.  Since the Kindle edition is currently $2.99 on Amazon.com (not on Amazon.ca), I bought it.   

I haven't cooked anything from it yet but it seems like a solid Instant Pot cookbook - uses the IP for what it does well, doesn't try to make it do everything, has a good section of Instant Pot basics/FAQs and a section on adapting recipes for the IP.  

Personally, I found some of the recipes in Melissa Clark's Dinner in an Instant (NOT on sale!) more interesting to me, but think my $2.99 was well spent on this one. 

14 hours ago, thurbers said:

Done!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Toliver the Enabler ;)

There were a lot of previously mentioned cookbooks (some from at least 1 year ago) but i won't list them again with one exception:

"Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!" Kindle Edition $1.20US

Odd price, even for a cookbook on sale...

"The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook: The number one best-seller now revised and expanded with new recipes" Kindle Edition $0.99US

Wesley Avila's "Guerrilla Tacos: Recipes from the Streets of L.A." Kindle Edition $2.99US

See the "Look Inside" feature to see his list of salsa recipes.

The Deceptively Easy Dessert Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Extraordinary No-Bake & Baked Sweets" Kindle Edition $1.99US (read the fine print regarding the actual price)

"Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes: Extraordinary Recipes and Easy Decorating Techniques" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Michele Scicolone's "The French Slow Cooker" Kindle Edition $2.99US

It has a blurb by Dorie Greenspan in the book info. Two recipes from the cookbook are listed on this book's info page.

Here's the "Previously mentioned cookbook on sale":

"Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the prices you see may vary.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

There were a lot of previously mentioned cookbooks (some from at least 1 year ago) but i won't list them again with one exception:

"Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!" Kindle Edition $1.20US

Odd price, even for a cookbook on sale...

Note the digital list price of Bean by Bean is $1.99, so if the sale price had been $1.99 it would not have been much of a bargain.

In addition to beans and Lucky Peach I also picked up Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees for $1.99.

50 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Not this time. xD

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Had to get Bean by Bean just because I haven't heard of Crescent Dragonwagon for ages. She's a former hippie who settled for a time in Eureka Springs, AR, and got all into herbalism and natural foods and such. Interesting character.

And the Hummingbird Cookbook. I might actually bake something sweet, one of these days.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

21 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I have to ask - how do you find these offers?

Just now, ElsieD said:

I have to ask - how do you find these offers?

I confess I stumble on to them.

I do use the daily Bookbub email notification but have found they only recommend a single cookbook per day (Pikers! xD).

I look at the info pages for cookbooks I am considering (but often bypass) and down below the main info section of the cookbook is a listing called "Customers who bought this item also bought". I peruse those cookbooks (use the side arrows to zip through about 15 pages of other cookbooks offered) and often find the proverbial "diamond in the rough"...meaning a cookbook on sale for a bargain-basement price. Note that I skip the "Sponsored Products related to this item" section as I don't need shilled items thrown at me, please. ¬¬

The two cookbooks I posted above were discovered in this manner.

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I almost fell off my chair when I read the introduction was by Grant Achatz!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Grabbed that one not 20 minutes before you posted it. If you will look at Amazon, under Kindle Books and Cookbooks, they will give you an option for "deals." It'll be a dozen or so el cheapo cookbooks. I contemplated, but decided against, Tartine, at 2.99. I just don't bake that many sweets.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I picked up the Wolfert, DiGregorio, and Bloomfield.

As to sources, I saw in an email the other day that the Eat Your Books folks are going to be offering a compilation of Kindle cookbook bargains.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As to sources, I saw in an email the other day that the Eat Your Books folks are going to be offering a compilation of Kindle cookbook bargains.

Here: https://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/2018/2/25/2---25-kindle-cookbook-deals

• Like 4

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

They've been doing it for some time and update the list often, as things change. It's my regular resource.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

They've been doing it for some time and update the list often, as things change. It's my regular resource.  

Their idea of a sale price and my idea of a bargain basement price ($2.99US or lower) are nowhere near each other.

Still, any source of a sale listing is better than none at all.

• Like 4

Tim Oliver

16 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Their idea of a sale price and my idea of a bargain basement price ($2.99US or lower) are nowhere near each other.

Still, any source of a sale listing is better than none at all.

Annoys me because it claims to send the member to the appropriate Amazon site which for me would be Amazon.ca but it always sends me to Amazon.com. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Found this morning...

Mary-Frances Heck's "Sweet Potatoes: Roasted, Loaded, Fried, and Made into Pie" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver