• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

FYI, there is an errata sheet for the American version of this book (there is a new edition coming out that is corrected):  From Eat Your Books (hope I am allowed to post this):

Update 5PM EST: I received a message from Helen & Yotam: For those who are asking about an exchange when the new edition is released, please email sweet@tenspeed.com with your inquiry. 

For those who may have issues with downloads, the document reads:

SWEET: Updates and Corrections

Oven Temperatures and Baking Times

Due to differences in the convection ovens commonly used in the UK and the conventional ovens typically used in the US, some temperatures may need to be adjusted slightly. Although individual ovens can behave very differently, we suggest the following temperature and time updates:

PAGES 19-20, CUSTARD YO-YOS: Preheat oven to 325°F/170°C. Bake cookies for 25-30 minutes.

PAGE 27, CATS' TONGUES: Bake at 375°F/190°C and use two baking sheets.

PAGES 76 AND 78 SAFFRON, ORANGE, AND HONEY MADELEINES: Bake at 375°F/190°C for 10 minutes.

PAGE 173-175, LOUISE CAKE: Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C; in step 3, increase oven temperature to 325°F/170°C and, in step 6, leave oven temperature at 325°F/170°C.

CHEESECAKES: (updated 12/22)

PAGES 201-202, LIME MERINGUE CHEESECAKE: Decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C and increase baking time to 20-25 minutes.

PAGES 203 AND 205, WHITE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE: Decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C and increase baking time to 60-70 minutes.

PAGES 207-208, PASSION FRUIT CHEESECAKES: Decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C in step 1, increase baking times to 25-30 minutes for individual cakes and or 60-70 minutes for one large cake.

PAGES 209-210, BAKED RICOTTA AND HAZELNUT CHEESECAKES: Decrease oven temperatures to 325°F/170°C in step 1 and to 350°F/180°C in step 4, and increase baking time to 20-25 minutes if using a muffin pan.

PAGE 213, FIG, ORANGE, AND MASCARPONE CHEESECAKE: In step 4, decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C.

PAGE 216, CHOCOLATE BANANA RIPPLE CHEESECAKE: In step 1, decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C and after step 3, decrease the oven temperature to 300°F/150°C.

PAGE 219, APRICOT AND AMARETTO CHEESECAKE: In step 4, decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C.

PAGES 221-222, ROASTED STRAWBERRY AND LIME CHEESECAKE: In step 5, decrease oven temperature to 325°F/170°C and in step 7, increase baking time to 55-60 minutes. See also "Corrections," below.

PAGE 263, ROLLED PAVLOVA: In step 1, bake at 375°F/190°C; in step 3, decrease oven temperature to 350°F/180°C and bake for 32-35 minutes.

PAGE 299, FROZEN ESPRESSO PARFAIT: Bake at 300°F/150°C.

Corrections

PAGE 42, GINGERBREAD TILES: Step 2 now references baking soda, as per ingredients list.

PAGE 46, ORANGE AND STAR ANISE SHORTBREAD: Butter = 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp/250 g.

PAGE 137, BUTTERNUT, HONEY, AND ALMOND TIN CAKE: "nut-free" symbol removed from legend.

PAGE 187, LEMON AND POPPY SEED CAKE: In step 2, use the whisk attachment (not the paddle) and whisk on medium-high speed.

PAGES 221-222, ROASTED STRAWBERRY AND LIME CHEESECAKE: Granulated sugar = 2/3 cup/130 g plus 2 tbsp; in step 2, sugar quantity = 2/3 cup/130 g.

PAGE 241, CHOCOLATE TART WITH HAZELNUT: Flour = 2 1/3 cups/300 g.

PAGE 341, MIDDLE EASTERN MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD: Tahini in the Tahini Caramel = 2/3 cup/150 g.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Which book?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Sweet. The newest one, which isn't on crazy-good sale today.

Thanks. I tried to find those recipes in Jerusalem and The Cookbook with no success. Now I see why. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I emailed the sweet@tenspeed.com address to ask about the replacement. The autobot replied:

Thank you for your email. We will be happy to offer a replacement copy of Sweet from the next, corrected, printing. We expect these books to be available early next year and will send your copy then. Please reply with your preferred shipping address if not included in your initial message. In the meantime, the list of updates and corrections for Sweet is available for download here.

Ten Speed Press

What I don't know is when this message was written, and therefore whether "early next year" refers to early 2018, or early 2019!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Regarding the book Sweet:

The message on the Eat Your Books website (Update 5PM EST: I received a message from Helen & Yotam: For those who are asking about an exchange when the new edition is released, please email sweet@tenspeed.com with your inquiry. ) was posted on December 20, 2017 so probably 2018.

ps. sorry for not being more specific about which book had the errors.  Me bad. :(

13 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

What I don't know is when this message was written, and therefore whether "early next year" refers to early 2018, or early 2019!

I know that people began receiving this message in 2017, as soon as 10Speed released the errata, so I'm assuming it will be along fairly soon. 

Sweet was the cookbook for Dec in a couple of Facebook cookbook groups and Helen was very active in helping people troubleshoot and correct these errors. 

• Like 1

This morning's finds:

Mario Batali's "Italian Grill" Kindle Edition $.99US

And this has been on sale previously...am posting it again in case anyone missed it the first time around -

Richard H. Turner's "Hog: Proper pork recipes from the snout to the squeak" Kindle Edition $.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

edited to add another book:

Adrienne Kane's "United States of Pie: Regional Favorites from East to West and North to South" Kindle Edition $1.99US

You can see the index using the "Look Inside" feature. Thought it was interesting she listed recipes for different kinds of crusts...

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

37 minutes ago, Toliver said:

And this has been on sale previously...am posting it again in case anyone missed it the first time around -

Richard H. Turner's "Hog: Proper pork recipes from the snout to the squeak" Kindle Edition $.99US

Damn. This is considerably more even on sale on the Canadian site and I’m still feeling a little burned by one recipe in his beef cookbook but…

I did honestly try to resist. But I read the reviews on the Amazon UK site and various other reviews all over the place  and I know I’m going to cave. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Is it shameful for me to admit that I breathed a sigh of relief when all of these last four books are ones I've sprung for (on sale, natch) already, so I don't need to get them?

• Haha 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

On 1/1/2018 at 5:12 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I know that people began receiving this message in 2017, as soon as 10Speed released the errata, so I'm assuming it will be along fairly soon. 

Sweet was the cookbook for Dec in a couple of Facebook cookbook groups and Helen was very active in helping people troubleshoot and correct these errors. 

And I got a follow-up email saying the next printing is expected to ship in April.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Two by Yotam Ottolenghi...

His first cookbook:  Yotam Ottolenghi's "Ottolenghi: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Yotam Ottolenghi's "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

And this cookbook has been mentioned before...it's on sale again:

Ronni Lundy and Johnny Autry's "Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Tim Oliver

Thank you, thank you. The Book of Greens was also a deal on the .ca site.  I am a prime member. 

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you, thank you. The Book of Greens was also a deal on the .ca site.  I am a prime member. 

And I picked up Deborah Madison, Vegetable Literacy while I was there.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou