• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

Huh — the links within recipes Grist are working fine for me, even though the page numbers displayed are the print numbers and don't match the Kindle "pages."

Out of curiosity — what kind of device are you reading Kindle books on?

(I did notice that because of the different pagination, there were sometimes links to recipes on the same page that appear not to work — e.g., the recipe for "True Aioli" has a link to "basic mayo (page 37)". In the view I was in, "basic mayo" was on the same page, so the link did nothing. When I zoomed in so less was on screen, the link worked.)

iPad Pro.

I figured out part of the problem:  on the page with tajjin oil there is a hyperlink to basic chili oil page 39.  The link apparently does nothing.  But I noticed there is a recipe for chili oil on the same page as the recipe for tajin oil.  That page is probably page 39, but one would not know because there are no page numbers.

The hardcover edition of Grist is quite attractive.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

51 minutes ago, cdh said:

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat

It’s available very cheaply on amazon.ca too. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd buy it except I already have it.

Me too!  Amazon was kind enough to remind me. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 5 months later...

I started a new topic on Tamar Adler's new book and noticed that the Kindle version of her 2011 book, An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), is currently priced at $1.99 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. 

The book is a lovely read.  I think there may be more recipes shared in story form than in standard formatted recipes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I started a new topic on Tamar Adler's new book and noticed that the Kindle version of her 2011 book, An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), is currently priced at $1.99 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. 

The book is a lovely read.  I think there may be more recipes shared in story form than in standard formatted recipes. 

I thought of M.F.K. Fisher based on what you wrote above. By golly, Adler refers to Fisher's style as a guideline for her own. I just bought the Kindle book.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

The Kindle version of Ottolenghi Test Kitchen's Extra Good Things (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is $2.99 on Amazon in the US and Canada.  Today only.  Price expires at midnight, all least according to Alexa, who informed me of this deal.  

I think it's quite a good little book and had more (way more 🤣) to say about it over in this post back in Feb.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Ottolenghi Test Kitchen's Extra Good Things (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is $2.99 on Amazon in the US and Canada.  Today only.  Price expires at midnight, all least according to Alexa, who informed me of this deal.  

I think it's quite a good little book and had more (way more 🤣) to say about it over in this post back in Feb.  

I was going to ask whether you think the layout works as well as with the print book, given the pullouts you showed. Then I decided, 'what the heck'. For 3 bucks I can find out for myself. My sales resistance is low today!

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I was going to ask whether you think the layout works as well as with the print book, given the pullouts you showed. Then I decided, 'what the heck'. For 3 bucks I can find out for myself. My sales resistance is low today!

I was wondering about that as well. If they formatted the pullout tables with links to the recipes, it could be even better than the print version. 

Also, I love being an enabler 😂

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, kayb said:

For three bucks, I’ll bite. Or rather, just did. If I like it half as well as Jerusalem, it’ll be well worth three bucks.

It's nothing like Jerusalem or Ottolenghi, Plenty, Plenty More or Nopi, but I hope you’ll find 3 bucks worth of good things to try!

When it was new, I paid about 35 bucks for Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything, and it was worth it for the fried rice technique/recipe.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was wondering about that as well. If they formatted the pullout tables with links to the recipes, it could be even better than the print version. 

I bought the Kindle version not long after you mentioned it. The tables do link directly to the recipes but they don't look nearly as attractive as the fold outs in the tree version as you shared them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

The Kindle version of Ali Slagle's I Dream of Dinner (so You Don't Have To): Low-Effort, High-Reward Recipes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $2.99.

I've found this to be a great little idea book, when I'm casting about for something to eat.  It received a nomination for a 2023 James Beard award in the General Cookbook category.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Ali Slagle's I Dream of Dinner (so You Don't Have To): Low-Effort, High-Reward Recipes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $2.99.

I've found this to be a great little idea book, when I'm casting about for something to eat.  It received a nomination for a 2023 James Beard award in the General Cookbook category.

Ah, I knew I was going to have to get that book! Now I have. 🙂

• Like 2

The Kindle version of Sally Schmitt's Six California Kitchens: A Collection of Recipes, Stories, and Cooking Lessons from a Pioneer of California Cuisine (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $2.99 on Amazon in both the US and Canada. £2.48 in the UK.

Sally Schmitt founded and ran the French Laundry with her husband for 16 years before they sold it to Thomas Keller but this isn't fancy restaurant cookery.  Sally's not above doctoring up jarred mayo with a bit of toasted sesame oil to make a delicious and simple sauce for fresh asparagus. 

I had more to say about the hard copy of this book over here.  It's a delight to read and everything I've cooked from it has been quite good. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add £ price (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Sally Schmitt's Six California Kitchens: A Collection of Recipes, Stories, and Cooking Lessons from a Pioneer of California Cuisine (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $2.99 on Amazon in both the US and Canada. £2.48 in the UK.

Sally Schmitt founded and ran the French Laundry with her husband for 16 years before they sold it to Thomas Keller but this isn't fancy restaurant cookery.  Sally's not above doctoring up jarred mayo with a bit of toasted sesame oil to make a delicious and simple sauce for fresh asparagus. 

I had more to say about the hard copy of this book over here.  It's a delight to read and everything I've cooked from it has been quite good. 

The amazon preview was indeed delightful and I succumbed.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up, especially Canadians, Vivian Howard's This Will Make it Taste Good is available for $1.99 for the Kindle edition on both sites. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Heads up, especially Canadians, Vivian Howard's This Will Make it Taste Good is available for $1.99 for the Kindle edition on both sites. 

Shameless plug for eGullet: here's the link for any Americans who wish to buy it and throw a few cents eGullet's way at the same time.

This Will Make It Taste Good, by Vivian Howard (Kindle edition) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). AFAIK there's no equivalent on the Canadian site, so Canadians will need to find it on Amazon.ca.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

$5.99 isn't exactly in the crazy category but I wanted to give this one a shout-out because I think it's a great book. It's also a large book, so the Kindle version may be a good choice for many.

In the US, but sadly not in Canada, the Kindle version of Australian Chinese author Hetty Liu McKinnon's Tenderheart: A Cookbook About Vegetables and Unbreakable Family Bonds (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  is currently at $5.99 on Amazon. 

It's just a great book.  Her family stories are lovely so it's a great read.  You can see a good sample of that via Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. 

It's a vegetable cookbook with recipes organized by vegetable. For all but the egg-based recipes (like omelets, etc), she offers vegan options including a vegan egg sub for baking.  For almost all recipes, she offers gluten-free options, not all that hard for a veg cookbook, but still nice. 

I'm very impressed with her creative recipes and will write up a review in the Cookbooks topic once I've tried a few more but I'm not sure how long this price will last so I wanted to share it here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

but sadly not in Canada

I was about to open a new box of tissues thinking that there was no access to a Kindle edition for Canadians. It certainly isn't a huge bargain. But I consider $18.99 still a reasonable price for a book that is over 500 pages long.  I don't cook much anymore but I still read when I can. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was about to open a new box of tissues thinking that there was no access to a Kindle addition for Canadians. It certainly isn't a huge bargain. But I consider $18.99 still a reasonable price for a book that is over 500 pages long.  I don't cook much anymore but I still read when I can. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. 

I agree the price isn’t awful, especially since the Canadian hard copy price is C$54.00!  
I'm very impressed with her creativity. The fennel chapter has a fennel frond pesto that’s used in a fennel & gnocchi salad that I’ve already posted about, a fennel and lentil avgolemono soup, quick pickles that go into a Niçoise salad, a fried rice dish and fennel ICE CREAM 😮 Lots of variety and not just rehashing stuff from other books. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's just a great book.  Her family stories are lovely so it's a great read. 

I haven't read it yet — I bought a hardcover version recently but it was damaged in transit and I'm waiting on the replacement. I ordered it after hearing her on the Splendid Table — she's a great storyteller in that medium as well. That was on episode 782 if anyone would fancy a listen (alongside Tamar Adler, who I also have long adored).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I put this in a bean cookbook topic but thought I'd add it here as well:

The Kindle version of Bold Beans (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently on sale for $1.99 in the US and Canada.

I have the hard copy version of the book, have cooked several recipes and quite like it. The author started a company that sells jarred beans in the UK so most of the recipes call for jarred or canned beans rather than starting from dried but she also gives instructions for using dried beans.

• Like 2