• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook for fans of the show is selling for $1.99.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B088WBGHGM?_bbid=66984166&tag=bookbubemailca-20

Thanks I bought it just because I think it might make an interesting read. I was never a huge fan of the show and was definitely a late-comer, and so saw only episodes here and there. But having relatives in the big houses (yes, of course downstairs!) I am sure I will get something out of it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks I bought it just because I think it might make an interesting read. I was never a huge fan of the show and was definitely a late-comer, and so saw only episodes here and there. But having relatives in the big houses (yes, of course downstairs!) I am sure I will get something out of it. 

The pikelets were good.  Reminded me of Newfoundland toutons.

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The pikelets were good.  Reminded me of Newfoundland toutons.

Dear God I remember pikelts and miss them like crazy. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook for fans of the show is selling for $1.99.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B088WBGHGM?_bbid=66984166&tag=bookbubemailca-20

Well I have returned the book. No way in hell can I read that fine print and zooming does not do it for me. It does not respond as kindle books normally do to increasing the font size throughout the publication. Anyway there was no issue returning it thank goodness but it was hardly going to break the bank. 
Thanks anyway. I was not likely to make the pikelets no matter what! 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 5 weeks later...

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

I've been reading through the amazing Terrine topic and one of the oft recommended books is Jane Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). I was pleased to see the Kindle version available for $2.99.  Most of the line drawings appear without figure legends (not sure if that's the case in the original or not.  They are labeled, just no descriptive text. There doesn't seem to be an index, although the table of contents and referenced sub-recipes are hyperlinked. 

Three of her other books are also available at the same price. Sadly, these prices are on Amazon.com but not .ca

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Three of her other books are also available at the same price. Sadly, these prices are on Amazon.com but not .ca

If you are a fan of mushrooms then her “The Mushroom Feast” is a classic. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Thanks for the pointer!  All 4 acquired.  Wonder if her recipe for the awesome walnut bread that James Beard credits her for is in here, or if Beard on Bread is the only place that resides. 

Not the walnut bread recipe although it appears to be available via Google but a lovely selection of recipes from Good Things. 
Here

Edited by Anna N
Remove an extraneous letter. (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Thanks for the pointer!  All 4 acquired.  Wonder if her recipe for the awesome walnut bread that James Beard credits her for is in here, or if Beard on Bread is the only place that resides. 

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not the walnut bread recipe although it appears to be available via Google but a lovely lselection of recipes from Good Things. 
Here

Eat Your Books tells me there's a recipe for "Walnut bread from southern Burgundy" in Good Things and the ingredients are pretty much the same as the Beard on Bread recipe. 

They also list a Granary Bread with Walnuts in her book English Food and Walnut Granary Bread in her Fruit Book. Neither of those last 2 books have bargain Kindle versions. 

• Like 2

This looks interesting.  The book is divided by month and contains recipes for festive occasions occurring in that month.  From what i could see, the beginning of each chapter has a history of some (all?) of the holidays in that month.   The Kindle edition is $1.99.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seasonal-European-Dishes-Elisabeth-Luard-ebook/dp/B00HEQY2IO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T4KWNJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The Rose Berenbaum Ice Cream Bliss  ebook is on sale for $1.99 on US amazon... not sure how long it will remain so. 

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1 hour ago, cdh said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T4KWNJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The Rose Berenbaum Ice Cream Bliss  ebook is on sale for $1.99 on US amazon... not sure how long it will remain so. 

Might be a new batch of bargains starting tomorrow on the first of the month so if folks are interested, it would be wise to act soon!

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Thanks @cdh.  I have the hardbound edition, but when it's buried under Modernist Bread it will be nice to have it on kindle.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, cdh said:

No longer on for that price. 

Just bought Simply Raymond: Recipes from Home by Raymond Blanc for all of 99 cents.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

• 1 month later...

The Kindle version of Abra Berens' book, Grist: A Practical Guide to Cooking Grains, Beans, Seeds, and Legumes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $3.99 on Amazon in the US.  Sadly, not in Canada at this time.

I have the dead tree version of this book and like it.  She's put together a number of sections titled, "A Week's Worth of ______ Without Boredom," where the blank is black beans, lentils or barley.  Other recipes offer multiple variations to mix things up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Abra Berens' book, Grist: A Practical Guide to Cooking Grains, Beans, Seeds, and Legumes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $3.99 on Amazon in the US.  Sadly, not in Canada at this time.

I have the dead tree version of this book and like it.  She's put together a number of sections titled, "A Week's Worth of ______ Without Boredom," where the blank is black beans, lentils or barley.  Other recipes offer multiple variations to mix things up. 

As much as I am tempted, I have pretty much given up on Kindel books.  And sadly so.  The promise of the Kindel technology is wonderful.  The execution not so much.  Odd formatting.  Broken or missing indices.  Tables of contents without links.  No page numbers.  Publishers could create hyper-useful Kindel e-books if they wanted to, but apparently most don't care.

Grist may be great in its Kindel edition.  However I shall never know.  I just placed a hold, and a copy of the hardbound edition should be waiting for me when I get to work tomorrow.  If I like it, and it sounds good, amazon would be more than happy to sell me my own copy.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As much as I am tempted, I have pretty much given up on Kindel books.  And sadly so.  The promise of the Kindel technology is wonderful.  The execution not so much.  Odd formatting.  Broken or missing indices.  Tables of contents without links.  No page numbers.  Publishers could create hyper-useful Kindel e-books if they wanted to, but apparently most don't care.

Grist may be great in its Kindel edition.  However I shall never know. 

I agree that a lot of Kindle books are poorly formatted, but at these discount prices it's nice to have an electronic copy alongside a print one. It's particularly true for oversized books — titles like Kenji Lopez-Alt's The Wok are great to look at but lousy to read in a comfortable chair. 

That said, if you're willing to at least check them out, a lot of libraries now will let you borrow e-books through services like Overdrive; most have a "Read with Kindle" option. That would let you weed through them without obligation.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I agree that a lot of Kindle books are poorly formatted, but at these discount prices it's nice to have an electronic copy alongside a print one. It's particularly true for oversized books — titles like Kenji Lopez-Alt's The Wok are great to look at but lousy to read in a comfortable chair. 

That said, if you're willing to at least check them out, a lot of libraries now will let you borrow e-books through services like Overdrive; most have a "Read with Kindle" option. That would let you weed through them without obligation.

We have Kindle books on loan.  I keep forgetting to look.  Part of the problem is by the time the book has been investigated, the book is no longer on sale.

27 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Thank you for the nudge.  I downloaded the Kindle edition of Grist from our library.  I am pleased to report that the contents and the index seem functional.  However there are no page numbers in the text and the page number links in recipes don't work.  I'd call this a fail.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you for the nudge.  I downloaded the Kindle edition of Grist from our library.  I am pleased to report that the contents and the index seem functional.  However there are no page numbers in the text and the page number links in recipes don't work.  I'd call this a fail.

That’s too bad. 
I have the Kindle version of her first book, Ruffage. I don’t see page numbers in the text either but I have it set for continuous scrolling so I don’t even know exactly where pages begin and end half the time making that a non issue for me.

Edited to add that the page numbers do show up in the sidebar navigator so it’s easy enough to tap and check. 

All the page number links (I tested multiples from the table of contents, index and within recipes) worked fine. Sad they broke that in a newer book!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The promise of the Kindel technology is wonderful.  The execution not so much.  Odd formatting.  Broken or missing indices.  Tables of contents without links.  No page numbers. 

I find the search function to be pretty helpful in the books where the index doesn’t link to the recipe, using the recipe title as my search terms usually gives me a clickable way to the “page” I want to be on.

• Like 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Huh — the links within recipes Grist are working fine for me, even though the page numbers displayed are the print numbers and don't match the Kindle "pages."

Out of curiosity — what kind of device are you reading Kindle books on?

(I did notice that because of the different pagination, there were sometimes links to recipes on the same page that appear not to work — e.g., the recipe for "True Aioli" has a link to "basic mayo (page 37)". In the view I was in, "basic mayo" was on the same page, so the link did nothing. When I zoomed in so less was on screen, the link worked.)

• Like 1