• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

1 hour ago, hsm said:

From an email this morning, Julia Turshen's Simply Julia: 100 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food $2.99 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) Kindle Edition, 2021.

Doesn't strike me as a health-food cookbook, rather, I see that she adds ww flour to the banana chocolate chip cake, along with sour cream and oil (not butter--although there's butter and cream elsewhere). 

FYI, the index links don't work on my laptop--the book says it depends on what version of software you run, I'm updated, so ?) but the ToC links work.

I have the dead tree version of that book and like it a lot. Simple, reliable and tasty recipes. It's not going to take you off on uncharted culinary adventures but it's just the ticket when you need something to eat. 

• Like 2

Stumbled across lots more sale-priced cookbooks this afternoon.

A lot of the cookbooks I found have been previously posted and I left them off this posting.

Nigella Lawson's "Cook, Eat, Repeat: Ingredients, Recipes, and Stories" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes.
Measurements look to be Imperial.

"My Shanghai: Recipes and Stories from a City on the Water" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes.

From the founder of Southern Baked Pie Company, "Southern Baked: Celebrating Life with Pie" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Scroll down to see one recipe.

From Tasty, the internet food channel of the same name, "Tasty Ultimate: How to Cook Basically Anything (An Official Tasty Cookbook)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

"Sea Salt and Honey: Celebrating the Food of Kardamili in 100 Sun-Drenched Recipes: A New Greek Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes.

From NYC's Frankies Spintino restaurant..."The Frankies Spuntino: Kitchen Companion & Cooking Manual" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From the New York City bakery Magnolia, it's "The Magnolia Bakery Handbook: A Complete Guide for the Home Baker" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see recipes.
Measurements are both Imperial and Metric.

Slightly more expensive...
From Ina Garten, "Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Recipes are centered around parties.

"Rodney Scott's World of BBQ: Every Day Is a Good Day: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER, "Nadiya Bakes: Over 100 Must-Try Recipes for Breads, Cakes, Biscuits, Pies, and More: A Baking Book" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver
clarification (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 4/1/2020 at 4:31 PM, Toliver said:

"Pure Vanilla: Irresistible Recipes and Essential Techniques" Kindle Edition $2.99US

As you can see, Pure Vanilla (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) has been previously mentioned in this thread.  The Kindle version is currently $1.99 and I'm mentioning it again because since that listing, I've made a number of things from it and can vouch for it being a sweet little book.  The author is Shauna Sever, author of Midwest Made, also an excellent book. 

I bought a used copy when it was the monthly book in one of my Facebook cookbook clubs.  I don't do a ton of baking so, even though I liked it, I elected to pass it on to another group member when the month was over.  For this price (and no shelf space) I can have it back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like Humble bundle has some quarto cookbooks up for grabs. It's $25 to get all 39. You get certain books depending on how much you donate.  I think a dollar gets you 5 books and you get more books if you donate more etc.  You get to see which books are listed as you select the amount you want to donate. It's less than a dollar a book!

Link : Humble Bundle books bundle : Cookbooks by Quarto

Some of the books: 

Fish by Jon Wipeli

Bread lover's bread machine cookbook by Beth Hensperger

Simply Bento by Yuko Noriko

Biscuit Head by Jason Roy, Carolyn Roy

Simply Ramen by Amy Kimoto- Kahn

The craft cocktail compendium by Warren Babrow

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 6:54 PM, Toliver said:

Stumbled across lots more sale-priced cookbooks this afternoon.

A lot of the cookbooks I found have been previously posted and I left them off this posting.

Nigella Lawson's "Cook, Eat, Repeat: Ingredients, Recipes, and Stories" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Measurements look to be Imperial.

"My Shanghai: Recipes and Stories from a City on the Water" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From the founder of Southern Baked Pie Company, "Southern Baked: Celebrating Life with Pie" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Scroll down to see one recipe.

From Tasty, the internet food channel of the same name, "Tasty Ultimate: How to Cook Basically Anything (An Official Tasty Cookbook)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

"Sea Salt and Honey: Celebrating the Food of Kardamili in 100 Sun-Drenched Recipes: A New Greek Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes.

From NYC's Frankies Spintino restaurant..."The Frankies Spuntino: Kitchen Companion & Cooking Manual" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From the New York City bakery Magnolia, it's "The Magnolia Bakery Handbook: A Complete Guide for the Home Baker" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From Ina Garten, "Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Recipes are centered around parties.

"Rodney Scott's World of BBQ: Every Day Is a Good Day: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER, "Nadiya Bakes: Over 100 Must-Try Recipes for Breads, Cakes, Biscuits, Pies, and More: A Baking Book" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

These posts from @Toliver have always been a pleasure to read… I have gotten so many great reads!!  I will sorely miss seeing his avatar pop up  😕

• Sad 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

5 hours ago, yimyammer said:

Do these prices pop up for only a short time?  (None of the links I’ve tried so far have the book available for the price mentioned in the post, I’m in the US.)

I how does everyone hear about these deals?

Sale price times range from a few hours to days or a month, from what I've seen. Many of us learn about them because some vigilant member discovers an e-book deal and posts about it here. Until recently, our sorely-missed @Toliver was the most prolific poster of these deals, and he cost me a lot of money! I believe one of his regular sources was BookBub. Amazon also was a common source. I don't know what other emails or sites he used.

Edited by Smithy
spelling (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Do these prices pop up for only a short time?

Generally, yes.  Some for a month, some just a day or two.  A few are more long-term.

I how does everyone hear about these deals?

Here are a few options:

You may have noticed that @Toliver often said that he found the deals via a BookBub email.  This is not something I've done, but you can sign up here if you are interested.  Edited to add that I noticed that you can also search for deals directly on the BookBub website.  This link should take you to their Cookbook listings. Could be an option if you don't want more emails !

Eat Your Books maintains lists of e-book deals for multiple countries and updates them fairly regularly.  Note the links to "Long Term Deals."  Some of the EYB listings may be sale prices but not rock-bottom "crazy" ones.  

You can search directly on Amazon.  One way is to choose Kindle Books -> Kindle Book Deals -> choose "Cookbooks, Food & Wine" to limit the search.  You may need to scroll down to find that last choice.  

Amazon generally has a new batch of Kindle book deals each month.  In addition, there may be daily deals or other promotions from time to time.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add more BookBub info (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I assume these are Kindle books?  And that you can make a one-time purchase?

Usually you can get them in multiple formats, everything from Kindle to PDF. Use what makes you happy. And there is no subscription involved here.  The ONLY thing the Humble Bundle people sell as a repeating subscription is a video game of the month thing.  They don't make you sign  up for that to get this. 

• Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

20 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I assume these are Kindle books?  And that you can make a one-time purchase?

It looks like they are e-books but not in kindle format. I think Kindle is proprietary to Amazon. But I have been wrong before   

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, kayb said:

I did.

I bought them also but they downloaded to Google Books.  I don't know how to download them to Kindle.  Is @Anna N right, that they cannot be downloaded to Kindle?  For the price charged, I'm happy enough if they have to stay in Google Books.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, FauxPas said:

I think you want the MOBI file format for Kindle.

Thank you for this.  I handed my tablet over to John who promptly saved 27 titles to Kindle.  The other three did not come with a MOBI file format and so did not get transferred, but that's okay, I'll just look at them in Google Books.

@Anna N Do you know in which way(s) the Kindle format is different from the Google format?  I haven't really looked at them yet.

There is one book that has a very weird index.  I haven't been able to figure it out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you for this.  I handed my tablet over to John who promptly saved 27 titles to Kindle.  The other three did not come with a MOBI file format and so did not get transferred, but that's okay, I'll just look at them in Google Books.

@Anna N Do you know in which way(s) the Kindle format is different from the Google format?  I haven't really looked at them yet.

There is one book that has a very weird index.  I haven't been able to figure it out.

I stand corrected!  Again. I have no knowledge of Google books. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I stand corrected!  Again. I have no knowledge of Google books. 

Me neither, and my knowledge of how to use Kindle isn't much better.  As long as I can read the pages, I'm happy.

• Like 1

Description of eBook file formats...way too much information, but it looks like ePub format should work on Kindle and Apple devices?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

I purchased the 30 book bundle....tried to access the download site with my 11 year old iPad, seems there's an issue in doing so. Possibly outdated browser? I've been wanting a new iPad anyway, this may force it.

And for those of you that like the history of restaurants, old inn cooking etc I highly recommend a download of this book:

https://indianculture.gov.in/ebooks/john-fothergills-cookery-book

He has other writings available somewhat readily by searching eBay and the websites of older book items. Very fun to read. Fothergill was an interesting guy. Very entertaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fothergill_(innkeeper)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1