• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Found this afternoon...

From the chef/owner of the famed Atlanta restaurant and Food Network competition winner Suzanne Vizethann's "Welcome to Buttermilk Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A classic, previously posted here...on sale again:
Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

Tim Oliver

Stumbled upon this afternoon.

Slightly more expensive...
Melissa Clark's "In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way up to see the list of stories/recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Found this afternoon...

From the award-winning chef of Greyfield, a celebrated Carnegie-built inn located on Cumberland Island, Georgia, Whitney Otawka's "The Saltwater Table: Recipes from the Coastal South" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

Found today... 

Named one of the Best Fall Cookbooks 2020 by The New York Times, Eater, Epicurious, Food & Wine, Forbes, Saveur, Serious Eats, The Smithsonian, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, The Chicago Tribune, CNN Travel, The Kitchn, Chowhound, NPR, The Art of Eating Longlist 2021 and many more; Finalist for the 2021 IACP Cookbook Award: Nik Sharma's "The Flavor Equation: The Science of Great Cooking Explained in More Than 100 Essential Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by zakuska (log)
  • Like 5
"She was a recluse," he said. "Her idea of a good time was to sauté mushrooms at midnight with a brandy and watch Dracula."

A new month, new titles offered...

"Ruffage: A Practical Guide to Vegetables" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes sorted by the vegetable used in said recipe.
Measurements look to be Metric and Imperial.
Recipes are written in a paragraph form.
300 recipes in the cookbook.

"Pie Academy: Master the Perfect Crust and 255 Amazing Fillings, with Fruits, Nuts, Creams, Custards, Ice Cream, and More; Expert Techniques for Making Fabulous Pies from Scratch" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Prison Ramen: Recipes and Stories from Behind Bars" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"The I Hate to Cook Book: 50th Anniversary Edition" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some recipes.

Also note, there are a number of Fox Fire titles on sale.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

The first three cookbooks are all from my BookBub emails.
The Ruhlman is a "stumbled upon" find...

From the 7-time James Beard Award-winning teacher, James Peterson's "What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tools, Tips, Techniques, and Tricks" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
A reference book. The Amazon info page blurb says there are dozen of recipes in this book but it's mostly a reference or "How-to" book.

"How to Cook Without a Book, Completely Updated and Revised: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Another cookbook aimed at those who haven't been in a kitchen in a while...but at a little higher level than the cookbook listed above.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple vinaigrette recipes.

A James Beard Award nominee, Suzanne Dunaway's "No Need to Knead: Handmade Artisan Breads in 90 Minutes" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature (you may have to scroll up) to see the list of recipes.

Michael Ruhlman's "The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Very few basic recipes included. This is mostly a cooking dictionary with cooking essays, as well.

Interesting side-note: I found another cookbook with "Milk Street" in the cookbook's title. I queried the official Milk Street web site to see if this was a true Milk Street product and was told it wasn't. The cookbook in question is no longer listed on Amazon.:B

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

From a BookBub email:

"The Happy Sandwich: Scrumptious Sandwiches to Make You Smile" Kindle Edition $2.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Found this yesterday:

Wilson Tang's "The Nom Wah Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from 100 Years at New York City's Iconic Dim Sum Restaurant" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Also, scroll all the way to the bottom to most of the recipe for Basic Bao dough.

Tim Oliver

From a BookBub email:

"Asian Pickles at Home: 75 Easy Recipes for Quick, Fermented, and Canned Pickles" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes.

Edited to add another find:

Christopher Kimball's "Milk Street Fast and Slow: Instant Pot Cooking at the Speed You Need" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down about half-way to see the recipe listing for the first chapter. Scroll just a little further down to see recipes.
Imperial measurements.

Edited by Toliver
added another cookbook to post (log)

Tim Oliver

From a BookBub email:

From the Maine Bakery Borealis Breads, "Borealis Breads: 75 Recipes for Breads, Soups, Sides, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just bought The Honeysuckle Cookbook by Dzung Lewis.  $1.99 on Amazon.ca.

It's also on sale for $1.99US at the Amazon US web site for a limited time (click here). (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Thank you for posting this. I tend not to post "healthy" or "good for you" cookbooks since I classify them as "diet" cookbooks. YMMV.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

A lot of finds this afternoon...

From James Beard Award-winning authors Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid, "HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes. Scroll further down to see recipes.
Imperial measurements.

From London Chef Florence Knight "One: A Cook and Her Cupboard" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Recipes centered around certain pantry staples/condiments.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipe listing and recipes.
Metric Measurements.

Three by David Tanis...
David Tanis & Alice Waters (foreward) "A Platter of Figs: And Other Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tanis offers 24 menus with recipes.
Imperial Measurements.

David Tanis' "Heart of the Artichoke: And Other Kitchen Journeys" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see menus and recipes.
Seasonal/holiday menus this time.

David Tanis' "One Good Dish: The Pleasures of a Simple Meal" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll to the top to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see recipes.

From three top Manhattan restaurateurs, "Downtown Italian: Recipes Inspired by Italy, Created in New York's West Village" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see cocktail recipes.

Food writing-
Previously posted a few years back:

M.F.K. Fisher's "Consider the Oyster" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Best Food Writing 2015" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll to the top to see the list of essays & authors.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

One I bought today:  Chinese StreetFood:  Small Bites, Classic Recipes and Harrowing Tales Across the Middle Kingdom by Howie Southworth and Greg attached.  $1.99 on Amazon

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

Something stumbled upon this afternoon...

From the Editors of Grit Magazine, "Lard: The Lost Art of Cooking with Your Grandmother's Secret Ingredient" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see chapter recipe listings and then some of those recipes.

Tim Oliver

A new month and there are lots of new sale-priced cookbooks for your Kindles/e-Readers.

Please note that while I included some previously posted cookbooks, I left quite few off of this listing.

There were also some that were higher priced than what I normally post.

I am suggesting you take a look at the 3+ pages being offered this month for yourself.

Jamie Oliver's "5 Ingredients: Quick & Easy Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes...which use, oddly, Imperial measurements.

YouTube cake "vlogger" Yolanda Gampp's "How to Cake It: A Cakebook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Diane Kochilas has a PBS cooking-travel series and this cookbook is its companion: "My Greek Table: Authentic Flavors and Modern Home Cooking from My Kitchen to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes with both Metric and Imperial measurements.

From Jason Santos, the chef-owner of New Orlean's Buttermilk & Bourbon, it's "Buttermilk & Bourbon: New Orleans Recipes with a Modern Flair" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes with both Metric and Imperial measurements.

From chef Katie Button (who runs/owns the Cúrate restaurant) "Cúrate: Authentic Spanish Food from an American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Southern humorist Julia Reed's "Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Scroll down to see recipes.

With a forward by Ina Garten, Rolando Beramendi's "Autentico: Cooking Italian, the Authentic Way" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Blogger Jenny Rosenstrach’s "Dinner: A Love Story: It all begins at the family table" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

One of the Washington Post's Best Food Books of 2020, Phyllis Grant's "Everything Is Under Control: A Memoir with Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From Blue Apron (the meal delivery company) "The Blue Apron Cookbook: 165 Essential Recipes and Lessons for a Lifetime of Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Looks like a cookbook for people who don't know cooking/knife skills, etc. 
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see what I mean. Scroll all the way down to see the recipe listings for the first chapter.

Mostly food essays and some recipes by chef and priest, Robert F. Capon, in his "Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Previously posted...
Food stylist and food write Jennifer McLagan's "Bones: Recipes, History and Lore" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Previously posted...
Jet Tila's "101 Asian Dishes You Need to Cook Before You Die: Discover a New World of Flavors in Authentic Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Previously posted...
Steven Raichlen's "Project Smoke: Seven Steps to Smoked Food Nirvana, Plus 100 Irresistible Recipes from Classic (Slam-Dunk Brisket) to Adventurous (Smoked Bacon-Bourbon ... (Steven Raichlen Barbecue Bible Cookbooks)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Previously posted...
Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Pie and Pastry Bible" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Previously posted...
Shirley O. Corriher's "BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a  chapter listing of recipes. Measurements are in both Metric and Imperial, of course.

No recipes...a food travelogue...Winner of the 2017 IACP Award, Matt Goulding's "Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain's Food Culture" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see most of a recipe.

Food writing (no recipes)...

Trevor Corson's "The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

More food writing...previously posted...

M. F. K. Fisher's "Here Let Us Feast: A Book of Banquets" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Another from a BookBub email this morning:

"The Artisan Kitchen: The science, practice and possibilities" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
The "Look Inside" feature shows actual pages from the cookbook. You can zoom in on the pages to read them better. 
Scroll down to see recipes.
This cookbook contains 150 recipes. Look at this cookbook's Amazon info page to see what main topics are covered inside.

Tim Oliver

I sprang for "Buttermilk & Bourbon", since I had to leave my print copy behind for the winter, and for Julia Reed's "Ham Biscuits..." because it sounds like a howlingly fun read. Thanks, Toliver!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

From an email this morning, Julia Turshen's Simply Julia: 100 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food $2.99 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) Kindle Edition, 2021.

Doesn't strike me as a health-food cookbook, rather, I see that she adds ww flour to the banana chocolate chip cake, along with sour cream and oil (not butter--although there's butter and cream elsewhere). 

FYI, the index links don't work on my laptop--the book says it depends on what version of software you run, I'm updated, so ?) but the ToC links work.

• Like 2