• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Two found this afternoon, both slightly more expensive...

From James Beard Foundation Hall of Fame member Maida Heatter: 

Maida Heatter's "Chocolate Is Forever: Classic Cakes, Cookies, Pastries, Pies, Puddings, Candies, Confections, and More" Kindle Edition $3.99US

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Maida Heatter's "Cookies Are Magic: Classic Cookies, Brownies, Bars, and More" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Measurements are Imperial.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's recipe listing, then scroll a little more to see a couple recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The Kindle version of Julia Turshen's recent book, Simply Julia (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), is currently $3.99 on Amazon.com and .ca

It's marked as a deal of the day, so I don't expect the price to last.  

I've been cooking from it quite a bit as it's the book of the month in a Facebook cookbook group that I belong to and I've been kind of surprised how much I've been enjoying it.  Every recipe has not been a hit but there are quite a few excellent ones, like the Kale & Mushroom Pot Pie that's topped with triangles of puff pastry that's both easy and fancy-looking.  The subtitle is, "110 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food," so it's not the book to take you on a culinary adventure but there are a lot of very easy, satisfying recipes.  And with respect to the word Healthy in the subtitle, Julia seems to be approaching it in a spirit of attraction (meals that make you feel healthy) rather than restriction.  It's not a diet book in any way.  It is a very personal book.  Lots of recipes are named for Julia's friends or family members and the header notes share their stories. Speaking of stories, there are a number of essays scattered through the book that I've enjoyed reading.   Amazon's "Look Inside" feature has enough of a sample to see if her writing and the style of the book appeals to you.  

For more about the book, the various interviews of her virtual book tour are available as episodes of her podcast, Keep Calm and Cook On

• Like 1

I'm waffling on The Nom Wah Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from 100 Years at New York City's Iconic Dim Sum Restaurant  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  I don't think I would cook from it but it looks like it would be a good read...at least until I can feel OK about actually going to a crowded dim sum place in person. 

The Kindle version is $3.99 on both Amazon.com and .ca

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version is $3.99 on both Amazon.com and .ca

Thank you for this. I do very little cooking these days but a great deal of reading. I have a very healthy gift card for Amazon that I am happy to use. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tim Oliver

Could not resist Save Me the Plums for $1.99. Thanks.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Cooking with Mary Berry: Classic Dishes and Baking Favorites Made Simple" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the very top to see the list of recipes.

There are a lot Great British Baking Show cookbooks on sale, as well.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see mat vary.

Edited by Toliver
to clarify (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

Just found these and thought I would post it ASAP. I don't expect the Julia Child title (was just on sale back in May) to stay sale-priced for very long.

Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From the mid-90's, Brit Simon Hopkinson's "Roast Chicken and Other Stories" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll to the top to see the list of recipes. Scroll down to see recipes. Oddly, measurements seem to be Imperial.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Just got Mary's book for free, with a credit. Her avocado caprese salad sounds good, as does the Peking Tofu with Plum Sauce. Hardly a diet book, hello, potatoes au gratin, but I'll try these two in my efforts to shed the quarantine 10. Or 15.

• Like 1

Some finds from BookBub and and just plain stumbling across them on Amazon...

This first is slightly more expensive...

From the reboot of Queer Eye, Antoni Porowski's "Antoni in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's list of recipe. Scroll further down to see a couple of recipes.
Well Reviewed.
Imperial measurements.

From the Editors of Saveur, "Saveur: Italian Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for "Farro Salad with Fava Beans & Radicchio" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to the top to see the list of recipes. Scroll down to see recipes.
Measurements are Imperial.

I'm beginning to think Williams-Sonoma is pulling an "ATK" move and outputting cullings from previous cookbooks. Suddenly, they're prolific:

"Salad of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for "Israeli Couscous With Celery & Sun-Dried Tomatoes" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Imperial and Metric measurements.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's list of recipe. Scroll further down to see recipes.

"Dessert of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes (you may have to zoom in).
Measurements are Imperial and Metric.

"The Art of Preserving (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes (you may need to zoom in to read the list).

"Dish of the Day: 365 Favorite Recipes for Every Day of the Year" Kindle Edition $2.99US  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
It's a Williams-Sonoma cookbook.

There's a recipe for "CHICKEN WITH CILANTRO & PUMPKIN SEED PESTO" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
The info on this page says it's a compilation of recipes so they have been previously published.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes from the first chapter, then scroll down to see recipes.
Measurements are Imperial and Metric.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

A few Kindle bargains listed over on EYB:

Fruit Cake: Recipes for the Curious Baker (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Jason Schreiber is $1.99.  All kinds of cakes incorporating all kinds of fruit.  Some interesting flavor combinations in this one.  Recipes appear to be presented in a clear grid format with both cups/spoons and metric measures listed for each ingredient. Also on Amazon.ca.

Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Jose Andres is $2.99.  His most recent book. Also on Amazon.ca.

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Tamar Adler is $1.99.  Not too many recipes in this one but it's a lovely read.  Also on Amazon.ca.

Seductions of Rice:  A Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid is $2.99.  This is an older title, originally published in 1998. No Kindle version of this one listed on Amazon.ca.

A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by April Bloomfield is $1.99. Also on Amazon.ca.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

A few Kindle bargains listed over on EYB:

Fruit Cake: Recipes for the Curious Baker (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Jason Schreiber is $1.99.  All kinds of cakes incorporating all kinds of fruit.  Some interesting flavor combinations in this one.  Recipes appear to be presented in a clear grid format with both cups/spoons and metric measures listed for each ingredient. Also on Amazon.ca.

Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Jose Andres is $2.99.  His most recent book. Also on Amazon.ca.

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Tamar Adler is $1.99.  Not too many recipes in this one but it's a lovely read.  Also on Amazon.ca.

Seductions of Rice:  A Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid is $2.99.  This is an older title, originally published in 1998. No Kindle version of this one listed on Amazon.ca.

A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by April Bloomfield is $1.99. Also on Amazon.ca.

Thanks, Fruit Cake looked good to me.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Impossible to resist José Andrés. Thanks. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Larousse Patisserie and Cooking by Larousse $1.99

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0868F5CTR?ref_=pe_618300_590742460_kdd_btf_0_lm

Milk Street:  Tuesday Nights by Chris Kimball $4.99

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079L57DDQ?ref_=pe_618300_590742460_kdd_btf_1_lm

Not available in the US at those prices

Edited by ElsieD
Removed one of the books as it was previously listed (log)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hsm said:

For me as well. And I also bought one for a friend who loves him and vegetables.

I clicked on it, and discovered that I'd already bought it a year or so ago. How many times has that happened to me? How many books have I bought, downloaded, and forgotten? The only good aspect of this situation that I can see is that they aren't taking physical space on my overloaded bookshelves.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I clicked on it, and discovered that I'd already bought it a year or so ago. How many times has that happened to me? How many books have I bought, downloaded, and forgotten? The only good aspect of this situation that I can see is that they aren't taking physical space on my overloaded bookshelves.

Thankfully amazon lets me know.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thankfully amazon lets me know.

yes, this. 

That's kind of how I know if a cookbook has been posted before in this discussion...I get a notice from Amazon that I've purchased it before.

For example, the Jose Andres veggie cookbook was originally posted here (on sale) back in November of last year.

But I like how they cycle through and drop down to sale-price every once in a while.

For example, Jacques Pepin's "Poulets & Légumes: My Favorite Chicken and Vegetable Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is back on sale again now.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

On 7/2/2021 at 2:09 PM, Toliver said:

the Jose Andres veggie cookbook was originally posted here (on sale) back in November of last year.

I missed that completely--so am grateful for the repost.

I've been told by Amazon several times that I already own a book;-)

• Like 1