• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

17 hours ago, Toliver said:

I did a double take when I saw this:

Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Bought it immediately.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Not a cookbook...food writing from 2020:

Editor J. Kenji López-Alt's "The Best American Food Writing 2020 (The Best American Series ®)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

36 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Not a cookbook...food writing from 2020:

Editor J. Kenji López-Alt's "The Best American Food Writing 2020 (The Best American Series ®)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Thanks. Was same price except in Canadian dollars on amazon.ca

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/17/2021 at 5:52 PM, Toliver said:

I did a double take when I saw this:

Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Wow...that sale-price was short-lived. The price is back up to $22.99US. 

I guess "Get it while you can" is the lesson here. ¬¬ :(

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

This has been previously posted about 3 years ago. It's been pricey  lately and I am posting because it's back down to sale-priced territory.

"Saveur: The New Classics Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for Gougères on this cookbook's Amazon Info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see recipes (Imperial measurements).

Edited to add:

James Beard Foundation Rising Star nominee Max Sussman and his brother, Eli's 

"This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see the list of recipes for the fist chapter (breakfast).

Edited by Toliver
to add another cookbook (log)
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Instead of adding more finds to my post above, I am posting yet again...two more:

"The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration By the Dozen" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe on this cookbook's Amazon info page for Vanilla Spritz Sandwiches.
Measurements seem to be Metric and Imperial.

"Gale Gand's Lunch!" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

She's known as a pastry chef so this is a little different field for her.
There are recipes on this cookbook's Amazon info page for Classic Lobster Roll and Summer Berries in Hibiscus Syrup.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some recipes.

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

This has been previously posted about 3 years ago. It's been pricey  lately and I am posting because it's back down to sale-priced territory.

"Saveur: The New Classics Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for Gougères on this cookbook's Amazon Info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see recipes (Imperial measurements).

Strangely, for this Prime member this book is free. "Read it for free" it says, and when I clicked on it I was advised that it would appear in my library. I don't know what that means for the long term.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Strangely, for this Prime member this book is free. "Read it for free" it says, and when I clicked on it I was advised that it would appear in my library. I don't know what that means for the long term.

Same.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

I've checked out a few free to read books in the past four years, and there are no return dates. You can borrow up to 10 books and, when you max out, you need to return one to check another out. Go to Kindle Store and type Prime Reading.

Edited by Marya
Added number of books one can borrow. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I wasn't aware of that Prime feature. There are several more cookbooks(and thousands of other books) available. I got the Saveur book and 5 more cookbooks free. Nice.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Marya said:

I've checked out a few free to read books in the past four years, and there are no return dates. You can borrow up to 10 books and, when you max out, you need to return one to check another out. Go to Kindle Store and type Prime Reading.

I tried that and many, many pages of books popped up, but not many cookbooks.  I looked for a way to search for "cookbooks" but couldn't find one.  Does that mean you have to go through t h e entire list in order to see the cookbooks they are offering to lend?

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I tried that and many, many pages of books popped up, but not many cookbooks.  I looked for a way to search for "cookbooks" but couldn't find one.  Does that mean you have to go through t h e entire list in order to see the cookbooks they are offering to lend?

The navigation probably varies depending on what device you are using. For me, I first choose "Nonfiction" from the tabs at the top and am then able to choose "Cooking, Food and Wine" from the menu that appears on the side.  Then I'm shown the 31 books in that category.

Edited to add that 100 Cookies (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a good one to check out if you are into baking. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's the old "Kindle Unlimited" feature that you could get for a monthly fee ($5? $10?). They have now bundled it into Prime. I use it a good deal.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

That's the old "Kindle Unlimited" feature that you could get for a monthly fee ($5? $10?). They have now bundled it into Prime. I use it a good deal.

Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading are not bundled.  Kindle Unlimited is still available @ 9.99/mo.  Prime reading has been available for some years.  I started using it when we discussed it in this thread back in 2018.   I'd previously cancelled my Kindle Unlimited membership because I wasn't getting a good value from it. 

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

Yes, I saw that, as well.

However, what happens if I don't continue my Prime membership? The cookbook goes away (from my e-reader device)?

I figured better to pay the sale-price and have it in my device forever than to choose to go the Prime route with all that entails.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

"The Shun Lee Cookbook: Recipes from a Chinese Restaurant Dynasty" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

47 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Jacques Pépin New Complete Techniques — US Kindle edition $2.99 today (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Yes, that's a good one. It's been posted before. Lots of photos to illustrate the techniques.

And speaking of having been posted before...

Jacques Pépin's "Fast Food My Way" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see menus and recipes.
Measurements are Imperial.

Jacques Pépin's "More Fast Food My Way" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Jacques Pépin's "A Grandfather's Lessons: In the Kitchen with Shorey" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for "Curly Dogs with Pickle Relish from A Grandfather's Lessons" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Another cookbook author of note who has been previously posted here...

"Nathalie Dupree's Favorite Stories & Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Nathalie Dupree's "Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

It's a new month but the new offerings aren't so new and aren't so good. Still, some finds...

A tip when using the "Look Inside" feature: after the viewing window opens up, make sure to scroll back up to the top or you might miss the listing of recipes.

The first two cookbooks have been previously listed. I am posting this first one again due to the cookbook author:

Aarón Sánchez's "Simple Food, Big Flavor: Unforgettable Mexican-Inspired Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Another author of note...posted before and slightly more expensive...
Top Chef's Gail Simmons' "Bringing It Home: Favorite Recipes from a Life of Adventurous Eating" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"One Pan, Whole Family: More than 70 Complete Weeknight Meals" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Southern Modified" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"It Starts with Fruit: Simple Techniques and Delicious Recipes for Jams, Marmalades, and Preserves" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by Toliver
clarification (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

Another Pepin cookbook found this afternoon:

Slightly more expensive...
"Jacques Pépin Quick & Simple" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for "Raspberry Gratin from JACQUES PÉPIN QUICK & SIMPLE" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see chapter recipe listings and then recipes.

From Jocelyn Delk Adams, founder of the blog "Grandbaby Cakes", "Grandbaby Cakes: Modern Recipes, Vintage Charm, Soulful Memories" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver