• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Some more finds this afternoon...

There are a lot of UK cookbooks currently on sale on Amazon.

"Under the Olive Tree: Recipes from my Greek Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
You can find a small partial list of recipes from this cookbook by clicking on "Read More" under the cookbook's description on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

From the London restaurant of the same name: "The Chilango Burrito Bible: Mind-blowing Mexican flavours"  Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From Joseph Trivelli, co-head chef of the River Café, "The Modern Italian Cook: The OFM Book of The Year 2018" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see a couple of recipes.
Measurements look to be Metric.

"Rustic Spanish: Hearty, Authentic Recipes for Everyday Eating (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There are two recipes on this cookbook's Amazon info page, one for "Patatas Bravas" and the other "Beef Stock".
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of Starters recipes and scroll further down to see recipes.
Measurements look to be Imperial and Metric.

From the United States and slightly more expensive...
"Dinner at the Club: 100 Years of Stories and Recipes from South Philly's Palizzi Social Club" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So much for my moratorium on buying new e-books until l've explored the ones I already own. Crikey.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Israeli Soul: Easy, Essential, Delicious" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for "5-Minute Hummus with Quick Tehina Sauce from Israeli Soul" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

Looks like measurements are Imperial.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Yet another Williams-Sonoma find:

From the Willams-Sonoma Test Kitchen, "Favorite Cakes: Showstopping Recipes for Every Occasion" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.
There are two recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page:
"FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE & HAZELNUT FALLEN CAKE"
"CLASSIC WHIPPED CREAM"
Looks like measurements are Imperial and Metric.

Not Williams-Sonoma but cake-related:

"100 Buttercream Flowers: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide to Piping Flowers in Buttercream Icing" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Lots of photographs in this how-to book.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Mowgli Street Food (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $1.99 on Amazon.com and .ca.  It's a fun book by barrister Nisha Katona who started the Mowgli Street Food restaurants in the UK.  I bought the hard copy almost solely to make the Smoked Cardamom Old Fashioned but I've enjoyed cooking other recipes or just browsing for inspiration. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mowgli Street Food (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently $1.99 on Amazon.com and .ca.  It's a fun book by barrister Nisha Katona who started the Mowgli Street Food restaurants in the UK.  I bought the hard copy almost solely to make the Smoked Cardamom Old Fashioned but I've enjoyed cooking other recipes or just browsing for inspiration. 

Thanks! Find it hard to resist anything that will amuse me and only costs $1.99 (which is still part of a Christmas present!)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks! Find it hard to resist anything that will amuse me and only costs $1.99 (which is still part of a Christmas present!)

I called it my stimulus check.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This has been previously posted:

Slightly more expensive...

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Baking Bible" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.
Measurements are in both Imperial and Metric/Weight.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

Two slightly more expensive finds from this morning...

"Larousse Patisserie and Baking: The ultimate expert guide, with more than 200 recipes and step-by-step techniques and produced as a hardback book in a beautiful slipcase" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
The slipcover for the hard-bound book mentioned in the title, is pictured on this cookbook's Amazon info page. Needless to say, the slipcover for the Kindle version is just as practical but only exists in our imaginations. xD
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the first chapter's recipes.
Recipe measurements are Metric with some Imperial (it will have ingredient weight but not cup measurement).

"The Pastry School: Sweet and Savoury Pies, Tarts and Treats to Bake at Home" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Measurements are Metric and Imperial.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the chapter listings.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Found an oldie this afternoon...

From 1955, Duncan Hines' classic "The Dessert Book" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all of the way down to see some cake recipes (no box mixes!).
Measurements are Imperial.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 4/24/2021 at 10:56 AM, blue_dolphin said:

If you missed it the first time it’s available now on amazon.ca for $1.99 Canadian.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

An odd duck this afternoon...

Slightly more expensive...
James Beard-nominated chef Eddie Hernandez's "Turnip Greens & Tortillas: A Mexican Chef Spices Up the Southern Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There is a recipe for "Taqueria Del Sol Jalapeño-Cheese Dip from Turnip Greens & Tortillas" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
You can use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see the list of recipes for breakfast. No recipes can be seen though.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Found a lot of cookbooks on sale, some previously posted in the past, some new.

Also note, some of these cookbooks may have an Amazon credit attached, but I kept getting an error message regarding the credit. Let the Buyer beware.

Previously posted in the past...

Rick Bayless' "Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see recipes.

"Heirloom Beans: Recipes from Rancho Gordo" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"The Southerner's Handbook: A Guide to Living the Good Life (Garden & Gun Books Book 1)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a recipe.

New-to-this-discussion:

Guy Fieri's "Guy on Fire: 130 Recipes for Adventures in Outdoor Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tyler Florence's "Dinner at My Place" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some menus followed by those recipes.

"The Gefilte Manifesto: New Recipes for Old World Jewish Foods" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Winner of MasterChef Canada, Mary Berg's "Kitchen Party: Effortless Recipes for Every Occasion" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a recipe.

From Montreal, "Mandy's Gourmet Salads: Recipes for Lettuce and Life" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a recipe.

From Australia's Lifestyle magazine Delicious Magazine, "At Our Table" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see recipes. You may need to enlarge the page to read the recipes.
Measurements are Metric.

Edited to add: This is really odd but as I was copying and pasting Amazon info into this discussion, I discovered all of the prices had gone up by a $1.00US. Very strange. I only hope they don't go up further in price.:(

Edited again to say that the price difference may have something to do with the Amazon credit that I kept getting an error message about.

Edited by Toliver
Clarification again (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

Regarding the $1 difference I was seeing in price (see above post), yes, it was because of an Amazon credit that somehow kept not getting applied to my purchases.

This cookbook came in my morning's BookBub email:

"Breakfast for Dinner: Recipes for Frittata Florentine, Huevos Rancheros, Sunny-Side Up Burgers, and More!" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a recipe listing and scroll further down to see recipes.

I am a US {Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon...It was posted quite some time ago but I'm reposting it in case anyone missed it the first time.

"The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see some of the recipes for various stocks.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

10 minutes ago, Toliver said:

From this afternoon...It was posted quite some time ago but I'm reposting it in case anyone missed it the first time.

"The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see some of the recipes for various stocks.

Will always be my favourite cookbook. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/4/2021 at 6:54 PM, Toliver said:

I can testify to Garden and Gun. These people are wonderful.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This was previously posted (a few years back) but it's on sale again and they're the hot "name" in BBQ at the moment...

"Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited to add two more finds:

"Better from Scratch: Delicious D.I.Y. Foods You Can Make at Home (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of chapters then scroll all the way down to see the recipe list for the first chapter of "Pickles and Relishes".

"Frozen Desserts (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" features and scroll down to the very bottom to see two of the recipes.
Recipes look to use Metric and Imperial measurements.

Edited by Toliver
To add more finds (log)
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

This also has been posted previously(years ago). It's on sale again...

Celebrated Pastry Chef and Baker Nancy Silverton's "Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery: A Baking Book" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

"The Science of Spice: Understand Flavor Connections and Revolutionize Your Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
A sort of cross between an encyclopedia and cookbook.  
With some recipes...from the Amazon info page for this cookbook: "Recipes for blends, butters, rubs, and pastes..."

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

On 5/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, Toliver said:

This also has been posted previously(years ago). It's on sale again...

Celebrated Pastry Chef and Baker Nancy Silverton's "Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery: A Baking Book" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

SOLD!

• Haha 1

"Classic Lebanese Cuisine: 170 Fresh and Healthy Mediterranean Favorites" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

I did a double take when I saw this:

Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver