• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I just sent off an email to Amazon's Copyright Infringement Department asking them to investigate this cookbook and its claimed association with Christopher Kimball's "Milk Street".

I will post any answer I get about the cookbook.

Given Kimball's litigious reputation, it was a rather brazen choice to include his name in the description!  But I'd guess the author is not a fluent English speaker and perhaps unaware!

I noticed that one of this author's other Dec 2020 releases (as mentioned by @ElsieD ) is The Complete Half Baked Harvest Cookbook: 1001 Fast, Healthy, Budget- Friendly Recipes that Everyone Can Afford (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), though this one makes no mention of Tieghan Gerard, who writes the Half Baked Harvest blog and has authored 2 well regarded cookbooks.

Going farther down the rabbit hole, I found several similar cookbooks, by other authors, that include "Half Baked Harvest" in their titles. 

Most of these are offered for free via Amazon's "Kindle Unlimited" program.  Since that's a paid program, I'd say that makes Amazon a seller of this material and that they'd want to be more careful than in earlier cases where other entities were offering  counterfeit hard copy books for sale on Amazon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard back from the Amazon Copyright Department. They basically sent me a laundry list of information that I had to send them before they would look into the issue.

So I decided to work the other end, so to speak.

I contacted Milk Street via their web site and almost immediately got an email back from them stating, "Thanks for the tip/information. We will look into this further."

The ball seems to be in Milk Street's court now.

If I hear anything back, I will post it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

I heard back from the Amazon Copyright Department. They basically sent me a laundry list of information that I had to send them before they would look into the issue.

So I decided to work the other end, so to speak.

I contacted Milk Street via their web site and almost immediately got an email back from them stating, "Thanks for the tip/information. We will look into this further."

The ball seems to be in Milk Street's court now.

If I hear anything back, I will post it.

Nothing like Amazon asking you to do it's work for them - given that it is THEY who are selling the book.  And, I'll betcha Milk Street will look into this.  Good for you.

• Like 2

I just received an email from a Milk Street Editorial Director thanking me for "alerting them about this odd book."

It will be interesting to see how long before that cookbook gets removed now that Milk Street is aware of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Now I am a little "gun shy" to post after the "Milk Street" debacle.

I originally found two sale-priced cookbooks this afternoon but in the time it took to create this post and then check to see if the links were correct, the price went up. :(

So only one title this afternoon...

And an odd title it is...advertising its author and their previous cookbooks in its title...really?

"Simply: Easy everyday dishes: The 5th book from the bestselling author of Persiana, Sirocco, Feasts and Bazaar" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Middle Eastern recipes.

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to the large purple page to see recipes listed from the first chapter. Scroll down to see recipes.
Metric measurements.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 6

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

I originally found two sale-priced cookbooks this afternoon but in the time it took to create this post and then check to see if the links were correct, the price went up. :(

So only one title this afternoon...

And an odd title it is...advertising its author and their previous cookbooks in its title...really?

"Simply: Easy everyday dishes: The 5th book from the bestselling author of Persiana, Sirocco, Feasts and Bazaar" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Middle Eastern recipes.

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to the large purple page to see recipes listed from the first chapter. Scroll down to see recipes.
Metric measurements.

No need to feel gun-shy; it seems to me you did CK and his empire (and us) a favor.

"Simply" has now landed in my library collection. I had a $0.30 credit due to expire, so the book set me back a whopping 69 cents! It looks like it will be a fun book. Thanks, Toliver.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

No, no. It was great fun. I see it is still listed and interestingly although it says there are 70+ reviews, all five stars, I can only find one!

I appreciate all the work you put into listing these books. My pocketbook does not always agree with this assessment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

No need to feel gun-shy; it seems to me you did CK and his empire (and us) a favor.

"Simply" has now landed in my library collection. I had a $0.30 credit due to expire, so the book set me back a whopping 69 cents! It looks like it will be a fun book. Thanks, Toliver.

I was going to pass till I realized my credit was expiring in three days.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I frequently check Amazon to be informed about new releases of professional books, I use their lists for what was released in the past 90 days and what will be released in the next 90 days. All these fake books are a plague, there are TONS of them. Fake authors like Thomas Kelly (Thomas Keller) and Christina Tosch (Christina Tosi) that release like 10 books every month. You like a film or a tv series? Try looking for "______________ recipe book" (insert the name of the show) and you'll find some crap release. Everything is worsened by the fact that Amazon started letting people voting for an item without writing a review and without verifying they really bought it.

Up to a couple years ago I was able to surf through the lists of new releases in less than 15 minutes, now it would take hours. I switched to "high to low price" listing, to keep out most of that crap, but it's not enough. There are people selling their grandma recipes for like $200.

Teo

• Like 6

Teo

Ironically, it was a similar book to today's listing that suddenly went up in price when I was attempting to post it the other day.

I don't expect this reduced price to last very long. Not sure if that's a good thing or not...

"1,000 Spanish Recipes (1,000 Recipes Book 22)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down past the menus to "The Recipes" to see the list of recipes.
Scroll further down to see recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

To my astonishment the Casas book is available on amazon.ca for a mere $1.99!  Yeah I fell for it. Endorsed by Ferran Adrià and José Andrés!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

To my astonishment the Casas book is available on amazon.ca for a mere $1.99!  Yeah I fell for it. Endorsed by Ferran Adrià and José Andrés!

That works out to $0.0027638888888889 per page!  Oh, wait, there's tax.

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That works out to $0.0027638888888889 per page!  Oh, wait, there's tax.

Strangely there isn’t!

98F364C6-ABAF-4427-ABEE-8335EA9201CA.thumb.jpeg.b3042dc6ac8eec34debf3437ef350f73.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BS03QVG?_bbid=17424585&tag=bookbubemailca-20

This came in an e-mail today.  One thing I noticed was the resemblance of the cover of this book to the 1,000 Spanish recipes cookbook.  The Mexican one is $1.99 on Amazon.ca

That was the cookbook I was working on posting and discovered when I tested the links in my post that the price had gone up while I was preparing the post. DOH!xD

Tim Oliver

Today's find:

Winner of the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Single Subject Cookbook
Winner of the IACP Award for Best Single Subject Cookbook and Best General Cookbook
Molly Stevens' "All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

ALSO NOTE...The "Milk Street" questionable cookbook I previously posted is no longer at that page that my link had for it. Guess Amazon heard from the real "Milk Street" and pulled the cookbook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BS03QVG?_bbid=17424585&tag=bookbubemailca-20

This came in an e-mail today.  One thing I noticed was the resemblance of the cover of this book to the 1,000 Spanish recipes cookbook.  The Mexican one is $1.99 on Amazon.ca

There appear to be a whole series of these books published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. I tried to get a link to cite my research but was not too successful. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 1/12/2021 at 6:48 AM, teonzo said:

I frequently check Amazon to be informed about new releases of professional books, I use their lists for what was released in the past 90 days and what will be released in the next 90 days. All these fake books are a plague, there are TONS of them. Fake authors like Thomas Kelly (Thomas Keller) and Christina Tosch (Christina Tosi) that release like 10 books every month. You like a film or a tv series? Try looking for "______________ recipe book" (insert the name of the show) and you'll find some crap release. Everything is worsened by the fact that Amazon started letting people voting for an item without writing a review and without verifying they really bought it.

Up to a couple years ago I was able to surf through the lists of new releases in less than 15 minutes, now it would take hours. I switched to "high to low price" listing, to keep out most of that crap, but it's not enough. There are people selling their grandma recipes for like $200.

Teo

There are a lot of books in the Kindle section that are obvious rip-offs.  Lots of them rated 5 stars, but very few reviews.  You can tell by the writing that they are unedited crap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toliver said:

Today's find:

Winner of the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Single Subject Cookbook
Winner of the IACP Award for Best Single Subject Cookbook and Best General Cookbook
Molly Stevens' "All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

ALSO NOTE...The "Milk Street" questionable cookbook I previously posted is no longer at that page that my link had for it. Guess Amazon heard from the real "Milk Street" and pulled the cookbook.

I had read it, but now I own it.  (As much as anyone does a Kindle book.)  The publisher may be shilling for Molly Stevens new book.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The publisher may be shilling for Molly Stevens new book. 

Do tell! 

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Do tell! 

I was referring to All About Dinner that I only recently saw.  However I see All About Dinner has been published for over a year, so not exactly new.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was referring to All About Dinner that I only recently saw.  However I see All About Dinner has been published for over a year, so not exactly new.

Ah. That explains things. Thanks. 

My 2004 eG Blog