• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

I saw the same book and passed at posting it. Seemed like an odd idea. 

And yet…. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Toliver said:

I saw the same book and passed at posting it. Seemed like an odd idea. 

I have it. Thought it might be promising for someone who needed to live a GF lifestyle. Not so much.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have it. Thought it might be promising for someone who needed to live a GF lifestyle. Not so much.

But if you are looking for a crash course in thought experiments – – – 

I am still toying with the sandwich that uses two sheets of nori. Both sheets have a layer of rice. Mentally I have been trying to flip that second sheet of nori over the filling so that the rice is on the underside of the nori to form the sandwich.  The photograph shows an amazingly good looking sandwich. Did someone actually succeed in flipping this sheet of nori or is Photoshop involved? For $1.99 I still think I got a bargain.😂

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Some finds from this afternoon...all "slightly more expensive..."

Slightly more expensive...
From the small Philadelphia pie shop of the same name, "Magpie: Sweets and Savories from Philadelphia's Favorite Pie Boutique" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes which includes savory pies.
Measurements look to be both Metric and Imperial.

From the blogger of In Jennie's Kitchen, Jennifer Perillo's "Homemade with Love: Simple Scratch Cooking from In Jennie's Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From Anne Byrn, the Cake Mix Doctor, "Skillet Love: From Steak to Cake: More Than 150 Recipes in One Cast-Iron Pan" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to the green box to see the list of recipes for the first chapter and scroll a little bit further to see some recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 12/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, Anna N said:

But if you are looking for a crash course in thought experiments – – – 

I am still toying with the sandwich that uses two sheets of nori. Both sheets have a layer of rice. Mentally I have been trying to flip that second sheet of nori over the filling so that the rice is on the underside of the nori to form the sandwich.  The photograph shows an amazingly good looking sandwich. Did someone actually succeed in flipping this sheet of nori or is Photoshop involved? For $1.99 I still think I got a bargain.😂

Sorry to be so late to this, I haven’t seen the picture you refer to, but,  food stylists are amazingly talented at such wizardry.

Another from the $3.99 column:

Rose Water and Orange Blossoms: Fresh & Classic Recipes from my Lebanese Kitchen Kindle Edition by Maureen Abood $3.99 I went for it.

From Amazon: Maureen presents more than 100 irresistible recipes that will delight readers with their evocative flavors: Spiced Lamb Kofta Burgers, Avocado Tabbouleh in Little Gems, and Pomegranate Rose Sorbet. Weaved throughout are the stories of Maureen's Lebanese-American upbringing ...

Ruhlman's How to Saute: Foolproof Techniques and Recipes for the Home Cook (How to... Book 3) Kindle Edition by Michael Ruhlman is $2.99. 

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

Sorry to be so late to this, I haven’t seen the picture you refer to, but,  food stylists are amazingly talented at such wizardry.

Yes, of course. I am completely aware of this. Nevertheless, if you are going to offer a recipe then there ought to be some way you could come close to the photographed dish. This photograph appears to ignore the laws of physics.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes, of course. I am completely aware of this. Nevertheless, if you are going to offer a recipe then there ought to be some way you could come close to the photographed dish. This photograph appears to ignore the laws of physics.

Via Amazon’s Look Inside feature, I was able to see some photos from the book, including a nori/rice sandwich with what looked like a vegetable filling.  I’m disappointed to hear they don’t explain how to do it. Maybe assemble the two nori/rice rafts close to each other on a piece of plastic wrap, top one with the filling then use the plastic wrap as a tool to bring them together, as one might close a book?  Could work if the rice was firmly pressed.  Trying to pick it up and take a bite would be another matter entirely 🤣

I found the grilled cheese on apple slices intriguing. Could you actually get melty cheese before the apples cook to mush?  
Too bad it’s $10.99 now. I've been having trouble sleeping and assembling such sandwiches in my head could be good therapy...or at least kill some time!

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Too bad it’s $10.99 now.

As a soporific it is still a bargain. As a practical guide to making sandwiches that one can actually eat…not so much. One day I might attempt the nori sandwich and come back here to offer my apologies for my scepticism. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A new month and nothing to post about what Amazon is offering in sale-priced cookbooks, as the year starts. 

Yes, they do have some sale-priced cookbooks listed but a lot of them are aimed at the diet crowd (of course).

I will keep my eyes open for any that may pop up...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Tim Oliver

Two I stumbled across this morning...

"Big Dips: Cheese, Salsa, Pesto, Hummus" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"The Complete Milk Street Cookbook: 350 Hand-Picked, Fast and Amazingly Delicious Weeknight Recipes for Your Whole Family" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Two I stumbled across this morning...

"Big Dips: Cheese, Salsa, Pesto, Hummus" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"The Complete Milk Street Cookbook: 350 Hand-Picked, Fast and Amazingly Delicious Weeknight Recipes for Your Whole Family" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I find it odd that the description of the book on Amazon matched the tone of the narrative in the book which matched the tone used in the one and only review and that said review gave the book 5 starts.  Apparently 77 people rated the book but only one left a review.  98 % of the reviewers gave it 5 starts, 2 % gave it 4 starts.  Hmmmmm.  Hard to believe Kimball had anything to do with this book.

ETA:  I just looked at Amazon again and she has 5 other cookbooks, all issued in December, 2020 and all 5 star rated.  Busy lady.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I find it odd that the description of the book on Amazon matched the tone of the narrative in the book which matched the tone used in the one and only review and that said review gave the book 5 starts.  Apparently 77 people rated the book but only one left a review.  98 % of the reviewers gave it 5 starts, 2 % gave it 4 starts.  Hmmmmm.  Hard to believe Kimball had anything to do with this book.

ETA:  I just looked at Amazon again and she has 5 other cookbooks, all issued in December, 2020 and all 5 star rated.  Busy lady.

I too found this the strangest cookbook. I particularly found it odd to title a recipe Carrots Pudding or Nuts Bowl? I, too, cannot see any connection with the legitimate Milk Street books. I dunno. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I thought it was strange that Christopher Kimball wasn't listed as the author since Milk Street is his "baby". Yes, odd to say the least.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I thought it was strange that Christopher Kimball wasn't listed as the author since Milk Street is his "baby". Yes, odd to say the least.

I just went back for another look. Surely there is something drastically wrong here. Whether you like Kimball or dislike him, does this sound like him? This is from the book description on amazon.com.

Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street is a new approach to cooking styles that can be done at home by anyone, everywhere in the world! In this book, different kinds of recipes can be shown. All with the directions and ingredients you would need for that dish along with simple nutritional information of each dish. Cooking is about to change, as Christopher said. Northern European is known to be a particular style of cooking, and this style is very reliant on technique and methods. Which, half of the world might not even know of. Milk Street is different. It’s new and it’s all about the flavor of it all. Every person in the world doesn’t have access to any kind of ingredient that is required in every dish, so Milk Street offers a simple and flavor-focused way to home cooking.”

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I just went back for another look. Surely there is something drastically wrong here. Whether you like Kimball or dislike him, does this sound like him? This is from the book description on amazon.com.

Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street is a new approach to cooking styles that can be done at home by anyone, everywhere in the world! In this book, different kinds of recipes can be shown. All with the directions and ingredients you would need for that dish along with simple nutritional information of each dish. Cooking is about to change, as Christopher said. Northern European is known to be a particular style of cooking, and this style is very reliant on technique and methods. Which, half of the world might not even know of. Milk Street is different. It’s new and it’s all about the flavor of it all. Every person in the world doesn’t have access to any kind of ingredient that is required in every dish, so Milk Street offers a simple and flavor-focused way to home cooking.”

If you use the "Look Inside" feature, there's a few paragraph's and then BAM! Off to the recipes they go. 

This is completely unlike Christopher Kimball. He tends to enjoy a long (tedious) explanation in his cookbooks before he gets to the recipes. 

This is raising red flags now. How authentic is this association to Kimball's Milk Street?

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

If you use the "Look Inside" feature, there's a few paragraph's and then BAM! Off to the recipes they go. 

This is completely unlike Christopher Kimball. He tends to enjoy a long (tedious) explanation in his cookbooks before he gets to the recipes. 

This is raising red flags now. How authentic is this association to Kimball's Milk Street?

I saw those recipes too which is what initially aroused my suspicion.  They did not look like any recipes I could envision Christopher Kimball coming up with.

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I saw those recipes too which is what initially aroused my suspicion.  They did not look like any recipes I could envision Christopher Kimball coming up with.

I just sent off an email to Amazon's Copyright Infringement Department asking them to investigate this cookbook and its claimed association with Christopher Kimball's "Milk Street".

I will post any answer I get about the cookbook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I just sent off an email to Amazon's Copyright Infringement Department asking them to investigate this cookbook and its claimed association with Christopher Kimball's "Milk Street".

I will post any answer I get about the cookbook.

I'm looking forward to you hearing from Amazon.

18 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I did look inside and did my best to copy some of it so I could quote it here but that was not possible. Kimball at least writes English!  Or if not he has decent editors that do!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I also thought this was interesting.

Screenshot.jpg.8aade553dfc2c88dc25a5a7b1ea365c5.jpg

Really? Why "German"?

Tim Oliver

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

I also thought this was interesting.

Screenshot.jpg.8aade553dfc2c88dc25a5a7b1ea365c5.jpg

Really? Why "German"?

I went down a complete rabbit hole with this "author".  I saw that also.  Try reading the reviews on some of her other stuff.