• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

6 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I don't know how many of you are on the mailing list from Humble Bundle, but the basic idea is that each month they offer several bundles of books and games on a pay-what-you-want basis. The more you pay, the bigger the bundle you get, and a portion of the proceeds goes to a worthy organization (you get several to choose from). Right now there's a cookbook bundle on:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/quarto-cook-books?linkID=&mcID=102:5fca873072edab1bc336a0d0:ot:5b5ddec0db76615eab9b646e:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter

I didn't know this existed.  Sure looks like a good current bundle.

I've bought a few of their bundles, two that were computer-related and one of SF/fantasy. I think they're excellent value for the dollar, even if you opt for a relatively generous payment. I typically go to the top tier, which on most bundles is $25 or $30, and works out to be just a couple of dollars per book. For those who are curious but haven't clicked through, the organizations you can support though this bundle are Khan Academy, the Jane Goodall Institute, and Doctors Without Borders.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The books shown in the link, are they the ones being offered?  From what I can see, there appears to be a membership fee.  Is that correct?  I may be looking in the wrong places but I'm having a hard time seeing how this operates.  I did see that they download to Kindle.

I've bought bundles from them over the years.  Always a good deal.  No membership charges for the bundles... they have a subscription video game subscription thingy, but you don't need to be a part of that to buy into the bundles.  Looking at this one, I don't see anything that inspires me to buy in, but if you're interested don't let fears of hidden charges or repeating obligations scare you away... they are not part of this deal.

• Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1 hour ago, cdh said:

I've bought bundles from them over the years.  Always a good deal.  No membership charges for the bundles... they have a subscription video game subscription thingy, but you don't need to be a part of that to buy into the bundles.  Looking at this one, I don't see anything that inspires me to buy in, but if you're interested don't let fears of hidden charges or repeating obligations scare you away... they are not part of this deal.

@chromedome or @cdh  Is this sort of a tiered thing where the cheapest price gets you the initial (shown) five books, the next price level gets you some additional books, etc. Up to the $30 level?  The highest level gets you all the books for all levels?  How often do bundles come out?  

Edited by ElsieD (log)

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I don't know how many of you are on the mailing list from Humble Bundle, but the basic idea is that each month they offer several bundles of books and games on a pay-what-you-want basis. The more you pay, the bigger the bundle you get, and a portion of the proceeds goes to a worthy organization (you get several to choose from). Right now there's a cookbook bundle on:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/quarto-cook-books?linkID=&mcID=102:5fca873072edab1bc336a0d0:ot:5b5ddec0db76615eab9b646e:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter

Silly question...I am assuming the bundle contains ecookbooks as opposed to dead tree cookbooks?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That's correct. They're platform-independent, you get 'em in multiple formats and without DRM so you can use them across all your devices and not have to monkey around with Adobe Digital Editions and suchlike.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@chromedome or @cdh  Is this sort of a tiered thing where the cheapest price gets you the initial (shown) five books, the next price level gets you some additional books, etc. Up to the $30 level?  The highest level gets you all the books for all levels?  How often do bundles come out?  

Yup. As you up your purchase price, the bundle gets richer.

There are bundles each month, divided between books and games. Looking back through my inbox, I find 14 offers in November, 9 each in October and September, and 7 in August. I've already gotten 3 so far in December, so I expect the total will also be high for this month.

• Thanks 1

The Amazon pages weren't working properly for me tonight so this is all I found.

This is not "Slightly more" but is more like "A Wee Bit more" than what I usually post...

Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's "Lidia's Italy in America: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

I also noticed "Bakewise" is no longer sale-priced. It's back up to about 20 bucks. I guess sale prices are short-lived for some books...:(

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

The Amazon pages weren't working properly for me tonight so this is all I found.

This is not "Slightly more" but is more like "A Wee Bit more" than what I usually post...

Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's "Lidia's Italy in America: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

I also noticed "Bakewise" is no longer sale-priced. It's back up to about 20 bucks. I guess sale prices are short-lived for some books...:(

I used to like Lydia and was about to click till I read:  "This is an Italian recipe, but the ingredients are adapted to include the local ingredient kale, much loved and eaten in the States."

Glad I scored Bakewise while I could.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From my BookBub email this morning:

"Chinese Soul Food: A Friendly Guide for Homemade Dumplings, Stir-Fries, Soups, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

From my BookBub email this morning:

"Chinese Soul Food: A Friendly Guide for Homemade Dumplings, Stir-Fries, Soups, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

For a change this one was also $1.99 on the .ca site so I grabbed it. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Two from this afternoon's perusal:

Nathalie Dupree's "Mastering the Art of Southern Vegetables" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.

The Santa Fe School of Cooking's "Salsas and Tacos" 2nd Edition, Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From this weekend's BookBub email:

"The Western Kitchen: Seasonal Recipes from Montana's Chico Hot Springs Resort" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

Another find from this afternoon:

"Illustrated Step-by-Step Baking" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) 
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down about halfway to see the listing of recipes for the first chapter.
Measurements are Metric and Imperial.
Lots of step-by-step photographs.

Tim Oliver

I know this is more than the usual bargain price, but Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking: A Cookbook Kindle Edition by Toni Tipton-Martin is currently $4.99 on Amazon. Plus there's a $.50 credit.

I found it following a Book Bub link to The Chilean Kitchen: 75 Seasonal Recipes for Stews, Breads, Salads, Cocktails, Desserts, and More Kindle Edition by Pilar Hernandez for $1.99. The "Look Inside" feature shows some summertime recipes and a list of Chilean pantry ingredients. The Amazon site lists items like Salmon Cancato / Salmon Stuffed with Sausage, Tomato, and Cheese, Spaghetti Squash Preserve and Dulce de Leche-Filled Sandwich Cookies.

Edited by hsm (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Jacques Pepin's "More Fast Food my Way" is currently on Amazon ca,. and com. For 1.99

Here's the Amazon link for it.  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

That one seems to go to Amazon.com - here is the Amazon Canada link (I hope). 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CR6N04I?pf_rd_r=TVDWCG61WAH93Y73WNFS&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73&pd_rd_r=9f28b810-5b00-4c11-bffb-eae44d4e3d09&pd_rd_w=5D4QG&pd_rd_wg=LhPS3&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

Some finds this afternoon...
My Amazon still isn't working properly. I get one page of books to look over and that's it, compared to before when I got multiple pages. Odd to say the least.

"Beirut to Boston: A Cookbook: Comfort Food Inspired by a Rags-to-Restaurants Story" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a few recipes.

Two familiar names first and costing slightly more...
An oldie from Melissa Clark "Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the lengthy list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

Nigella Lawson's "Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

From James Beard Award-winning cookbook studio Canal House, "Canal House: Cook Something: Recipes to Rely On" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Three hundred recipes.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the lengthy list of recipes. Scroll further down to see recipes.

Edited by Toliver
useless extra word (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Something I stumbled across this afternoon...a name from the Food Network:

Bobby Flay's "Bobby at Home: Fearless Flavors from My Kitchen: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to the chapter title "Breakfast & Brunch" to see a list of its recipes. Then scroll further down to see recipes.

Tim Oliver

Today in my email came news of a book called Sandwiches Without Bread on sale at amazon.com and.ca for $1.99. I have a hard time resisting these really cheap books. This is an interesting book with some amazingly good ideas until you really think about them. If you do some Einsteinian thought experiments you realize that turkey salad between two 1/2 inch thick slices of apple is not functionally realistic. Eating such a sandwich should take place in the privacy of your own home preferably with the blinds drawn. 

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Today in my email came news of a book called Sandwiches Without Bread on sale at amazon.com and.ca for $1.99. I have a hard time resisting these really cheap books. This is an interesting book with some amazingly good ideas until you really think about them. If you do some Einsteinian thought experiments you realize that turkey salad between two 1/2 inch thick slices of apple is not functionally realistic. Eating such a sandwich should take place in the privacy of your own home preferably with the blinds drawn. 

I saw the same book and passed at posting it. Seemed like an odd idea. 

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver