• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

The Bittman cookbook is from my BookBub email, the others are finds:

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything: Thanksgiving: 20 Recipes for the Big Day and 29 Variations" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"Nathalie Dupree's Favorite Stories and Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"ManBQue: Meat. Beer. Rock and Roll." Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Supper Club: Recipes and notes from the underground restaurant" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Offering savory as well as sweet pies, "Sophie Conran’s Pies" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Metric measurements as well as Imperial.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Two found this afternoon:

"Wiley's Championship BBQ: Secrets that Old Men Take to the Grave" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Slightly more expensive...
"Betty Crocker Cookbook, 12th Edition: Everything You Need to Know to Cook from Scratch" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see lots of recipes.
A starter cookbook with a lot of photos and 1,500 recipes.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Two well known names stumbled upon this afternoon:

Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.
Surprisingly, the recipes use Imperial measurements.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

Two well known names stumbled upon this afternoon:

Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Surprisingly, the recipes use Imperial measurements.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

Thanks @Toliver, I picked up both of these.  Nigella disturbed me with the old trope oil prevents butter from burning.  And I cringed when she made Hollandaise in a double boiler.  But, hey, $1.99.

I was an early adopter of Rose's Cake Bible.  I was reminded of this last night when a friend and former coworker called last night to check up on me in the midst of the pandemic and remind me that twenty five years ago I blew up at him for sticking his finger in the rosewater buttercream of the cake I had made for a couple of my friends getting married.  The bride was the CIA trained chef of a local restaurant.  I was so humiliated.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I keep waffling on the kindle version (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) of Thomas Keller's new French Laundry, Per Se (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) cookbook.  The list price of the hard copy is $75.  That is currently selling on Amazon in the US @ $48.  I am unlikely to pay either of those prices and I can't say I'm all that likely to actually cook from the book but still, it tempts me.

The kindle version is presently $9.48.  Not quite as "Crazy Good" as the title of this topic indicates, but still a good deal.  And I have enough credits to push the price under $5.  

What to do, what to do....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I keep waffling on the kindle version (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) of Thomas Keller's new French Laundry, Per Se (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) cookbook.  The list price of the hard copy is $75.  That is currently selling on Amazon in the US @ $48.  I am unlikely to pay either of those prices and I can't say I'm all that likely to actually cook from the book but still, it tempts me.

The kindle version is presently $9.48.  Not quite as "Crazy Good" as the title of this topic indicates, but still a good deal.  And I have enough credits to push the price under $5.  

What to do, what to do....

I can certainly see why you are tempted. These days I no longer hold myself to any ideas of cooking from a book but have found that I can thoroughly enjoy certain cook books without even a hint of a guilty conscience. It is $20 or so for the Kindle edition in Canada. Will I or won’t I? A couple of other books are calling to me so we shall see. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I can certainly see why you are tempted.

How can anyone not want to read a book by Thomas Keller that begins this way:

“YOU COULD SAY A TUILE RECIPE from Gourmet magazine in the late 1980s launched The French Laundry.”

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A very familiar name this afternoon:

Shirley O. Corriher's "BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.
Uses Metric and Imperial measurements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Found a couple more this afternoon:

Definitely not the normal bargain-price...a little higher. But it was just over $20 last week so this price is better.
Daniel Boulud's "Daniel: My French Cuisine" Kindle Edition $5.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Each recipe involves multiple recipes for elements in the final dish. Seems complicated. I guess even if you didn't want to make an entire recipe, you could always just make the recipe of an element used in the main recipe. 

"The French Cook: Soups & Stews" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and to the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

17 hours ago, Toliver said:

A very familiar name this afternoon:

Shirley O. Corriher's "BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.
Uses Metric and Imperial measurements.

I have her "CookWise," and I love it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

December is a month of gift-giving holidays but you wouldn't know that by Amazon's cookbook offerings..just a lot of cookbooks that have been offered in the past. You'd think they would pack it full of new sale titles, but alas, no...

Here are some cookbooks that haven't been posted before:

Diana Henry's "From the Oven to the Table: Simple dishes that look after themselves" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a few recipes.

Named by Garden & Gun as one of the best books of 2018,"For the Love of the South: Recipes and Stories from My Southern Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"The Cuban Table: A Celebration of Food, Flavors, and History" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

"Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From the writer of the Repertoire column for the San Francisco Chronicle, Jessica Battilana's "Repertoire: All the Recipes You Need" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
The "Look Inside" feature kind of ends so I am not sure what the recipes might look like.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Cotton-pickin' sonofagun, Toliver. Every time I open this topic my tablet gets heavier and my bank account lighter. At least I was reminded that I'd already bought The Cuban Table (and no, I haven't cooked from it yet). Nonetheless I've added Diana Henry's book and For the Love of the South to the collection.

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

December is a month of gift-giving holidays but you wouldn't know that by Amazon's cookbook offerings..just a lot of cookbooks that have been offered in the past. You'd think they would pack it full of new sale titles, but alas, no...

Here are some cookbooks that haven't been posted before:

Diana Henry's "From the Oven to the Table: Simple dishes that look after themselves" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a few recipes.

Named by Garden & Gun as one of the best books of 2018,"For the Love of the South: Recipes and Stories from My Southern Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"The Cuban Table: A Celebration of Food, Flavors, and History" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

From the writer of the Repertoire column for the San Francisco Chronicle, Jessica Battilana's "Repertoire: All the Recipes You Need" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
The "Look Inside" feature kind of ends so I am not sure what the recipes might look like.

I will be strong.........

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I will be strong.........

Not me. Not for $1.99. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter got my 2 bucks. I didn't bother to use the look inside. I'm curious about the author's take on such things. There are many things that I could make that I don't think are worth the effort - for me. YMMV.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter got my 2 bucks. I didn't bother to use the look inside. I'm curious about the author's take on such things. There are many things that I could make that I don't think are worth the effort - for me. YMMV.

I'll be curious to see what you think about the book, Porthos. I thought it an interesting idea, then decided I make up my own mind about that anyway, so I saved a couple of bucks spent that money elsewhere.

• Haha 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Some finds from this afternoon:

James Beard Award-winning Food & Dining editor of The Washington Post, Joe Yonan asked 100 American chefs, writers, etc., "What do you love to cook for the people that you love?" and compiled the answers in "America: The Great Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Recipes are Metric and Imperial.

From the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There's a recipe for "Shrimp & Grits" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and then click on "Print Book" up at the top then scroll down to see some recipes.
There are more cookbooks on sale from the William Sonoma Test Kitchen. Click on their name under the cookbook's title on the Amazon page for this cookbook to be taken to a page showing the rest of their cookbooks.

The cookbook tie-in to PBS's Emmy Award-winning series A Taste of History, "A Taste of History Cookbook: The Flavors, Places, and People That Shaped American Cuisine" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's recipe listings. Scroll further down to see some recipes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Had to spring for the Great Cookbook. That has promise.

I circled back and took a look because of this post, and then also bought the book. One of the things I love about these bargain prices is that I'm getting a chance to try a recipe for just the time, ingredients and a couple of bucks. If even one is a winner then I've gotten a bargain. The Nashville-style Hot Chicken looked way too interesting to pass up.

• Like 2

Southern cooking found this afternoon...

From world-renowned opera singer Alexander Smalls "Meals, Music, and Muses: Recipes from My African American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I circled back and took a look because of this post, and then also bought the book. One of the things I love about these bargain prices is that I'm getting a chance to try a recipe for just the time, ingredients and a couple of bucks. If even one is a winner then I've gotten a bargain. The Nashville-style Hot Chicken looked way too interesting to pass up.

Don't shoot me...but I don't much care for Nashville hot fried chicken. Or any other fried chicken. Genetic fault, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/1/2020 at 6:52 PM, Toliver said:

I have the Kindle version from a previous sale. I've marked a few recipes to make but so far, having only made the crispy potato pancakes (which are like my mom's). I can (I think) share some of the apps, mains, desserts: that caught my eye:

Chicory Salad with Maple-Roasted Squash and Blue Cheese, Creamy Onion Tart with Olives, Seeded Rye Gougères, Twice-Baked Magic Soufflés ...

Mains: Harissa and Honey Chicken Thighs, Spaghetti Niçoise, Halibut Kebabs, New Eggplant Parm, Panko-Parmigiano Chicken Cutlets, a few noodle and bean dishes and ... 

Sweets: Sour Cherry Hand Pies, Strawberry Sundaes Pavlova with Lime Curd and Blueberries, Coconut Cream Party Cake, S’Mores Tart, Creamsicle Affogato, Rice Pudding with Citrus and Pistachios, Maple-Blueberry Cornmeal Cake. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I don't know how many of you are on the mailing list from Humble Bundle, but the basic idea is that each month they offer several bundles of books and games on a pay-what-you-want basis. The more you pay, the bigger the bundle you get, and a portion of the proceeds goes to a worthy organization (you get several to choose from). Right now there's a cookbook bundle on:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/quarto-cook-books?linkID=&mcID=102:5fca873072edab1bc336a0d0:ot:5b5ddec0db76615eab9b646e:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning