• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Two found this afternoon...one is kind of "Sandra Lee-ish"...

"Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home: More Than 1,000 Classic and Modern Recipes for Every Meal of the Day" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
The "Look Inside" feature is useless...the pages shown are blank.

"Pillsbury: Baking Hacks: Fun and Inventive Recipes with Refrigerated Dough" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes in the first chapter. Scroll down further to see some recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver
spelking (log)
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

22 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Two found this afternoon...one is kind of "Sandra Lee-ish"...

"Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home: More Than 1,000 Classic and Modern Recipes for Every Meal of the Day" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
The "Look Inside" feature is useless...the pages shown are blank.

In the look inside screen, click on "print book".

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In the look inside screen, click on "print book".

Thank you for that. I learned something new today!

edited to add:

It looks like the measurements in the Williams-Sonoma cookbook are in both Imperial and Metric.

Edited by Toliver
additional info & spelling (log)
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Late-night browsing turned up Sabada--Fresh, Sunny Flavors From My Israeli Kitchen: A Cookbook by Adeena Sussman for $1.99 (Kindle edition). I have a bunch of Ottolenghi and Solomonov books, but I was powerless to pass it up, great reviews, under $2 plus a 20 cent credit.

Quick index read is showing many of the usual suspects, but also, new-to-me:

Avocado-Za’atar Green Goddess Dressing,

Root Vegetable and Medjool Date Stew,

Halvah on Challah,

Cardamom-Kissed Schug

Yemenite Crumpet Pancakes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From my BookBub email this past weekend:

"Sweet Taste of History: More than 100 Elegant Dessert Recipes from America's Earliest Days" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Elegant Pie: Transform Your Favorite Pies into Works of Art" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.
Alas, freeze-dried Blueberry powder is one ingredient mentioned that's not in my pantry.xD
Measurements are both Imperial and Metric.

Tim Oliver

Two finds...one by an author familiar to many eG'ers:

James Beard Award winner John T. Edge's "The Truck Food Cookbook: 150 Recipes and Ramblings from America's Best Restaurants on Wheels" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons (Farm-to-Table Cookbooks Book 1)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon's perusing:

From the blog Chicano Eats, Esteban Castillo's "Chicano Eats: Recipes from My Mexican-American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) 

Well reviewed.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and then scroll all the way down to see most of a salsa recipe.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Found a bunch of Gordon Ramsey cookbooks (and his memoir):

Gordon Ramsay's "Cooking for Friends" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There are two downloadable sample recipes on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

"Gordon Ramsay’s Great Escape: 100 of my favourite Indian recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

A Gordon Ramsay memoir (no recipes), "Humble Pie" Kindle Edition $2.49US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Slightly more expensive...
"Gordon Ramsay Quick and Delicious: 100 Recipes to Cook in 30 Minutes or Less" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Used the "Look Inside" feature and then "Print Book" to see lots of the recipes from the cookbook.

Tim Oliver

It's a complete coincidence today's finds are all baking-related.

As a bonus, all of the finds today seem to have Imperial and Metric measurements.

"Doughnuts: 90 Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and then scroll down to see some recipes.

"The Vanilla Bean Baking Book: Recipes for Irresistible Everyday Favorites and Reinvented Classics" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

These two are slightly more expensive...

From the James Beard award–winning baker and owner of the beloved Flour bakeries in Boston, Joanne Chang's "Pastry Love: A Baker's Journal of Favorite Recipes" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and then scroll down to see some recipes.

"Midwest Made: Big, Bold Baking from the Heartland" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

I am flat stony broke at the moment but will probably purchase Chang's Pastry Love in the morning.  One question:  Chang says "buttermilk is always fat-free".   Why would anyone in their right mind buy fat free buttermilk?  It is disgusting.  I make a point of keeping buttermilk in the refrigerator -- but only full-fat buttermilk.

One from this morning's BookBub email and the other with a famous name attached is a stumbled-upon find:

Executive chef and owner of New York City’s highly acclaimed Ducks Eatery and Harry & Ida’s,

Will Horowitz's "Salt Smoke Time: Homesteading and Heritage Techniques for the Modern Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some dry cure recipes.

Jose Andres' "Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

I am a US prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am flat stony broke at the moment but will probably purchase Chang's Pastry Love in the morning.

She also had another cookbook posted on here about 3 years ago that is also on sale:

Joanne Chang's "Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.
If you have trouble seeing pages, use the "Print Book" function to make the pages appear (that you taught me how to do).
Measurements seem to be Imperial and Metric.
There's also an index shown at the end of the preview.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Found this afternoon:

This was posted many moons ago and it's on sale again so I am reposting it...

"Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook: Strategies, Recipes, and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

12 minutes ago, Toliver said:

She also had another cookbook posted on here about 3 years ago that is also on sale:

Joanne Chang's "Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.
If you have trouble seeing pages, use the "Print Book" function to make the pages appear (that you taught me how to do).
Measurements seem to be Imperial and Metric.
There's also an index shown at the end of the preview.

It looks a bit redundant with the newer book.

Meanwhile I picked up James Peterson's Sauces 4th edition for $3.99 before credits.

• Thanks 1

From a BookBub email over the weekend:

"Mississippi Current Cookbook: A Culinary Journey down America's Greatest River" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.
Surprising cuisines covered in the book due to immigrant settlers along the Mississippi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

"Mississippi Current Cookbook: A Culinary Journey down America's Greatest River" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Surprising cuisines covered in the book due to immigrant settlers along the Mississippi.

I bought it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Oh, how very cool. I bought it too. Thanks, Toliver.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/12/2020 at 10:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am flat stony broke at the moment but will probably purchase Chang's Pastry Love in the morning.  One question:  Chang says "buttermilk is always fat-free".   Why would anyone in their right mind buy fat free buttermilk?  It is disgusting.  I make a point of keeping buttermilk in the refrigerator -- but only full-fat buttermilk.

I think what she's trying to say is that *actual* buttermilk — the liquid left behind from making butter — is fat free by definition, since the butter is the fat! As such, baking recipes that call for buttermilk are assuming a low or no fat product, and using a full fat product can change the results.

(I think all the buttermilk we can buy here is 1% — the stuff from Kate's is actually a byproduct of butter production and noticeably better, but it's <1% fat. I do remember seeing "whole buttermilk" back in the Midwest.)

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:10 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It looks a bit redundant with the newer book.

The original "Flour" cookbook is the one with the "greatest hits" from the bakery, if that's what you're looking for. I would pay $3 just for the sticky bun recipe if I couldn't just go buy them!

In "Pastry Love" I would recommend trying the Vinal Bakery English muffins; they're just down the street from us and we are addicted to the ones from the bakery!

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

The original "Flour" cookbook is the one with the "greatest hits" from the bakery, if that's what you're looking for. I would pay $3 just for the sticky bun recipe if I couldn't just go buy them!

In "Pastry Love" I would recommend trying the Vinal Bakery English muffins; they're just down the street from us and we are addicted to the ones from the bakery!

Is this it?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/joanne-changs-sticky-buns-recipe-1947951

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Oh right -- I forgot she made those on TV!

In theory, yes, though there seems to be some very sloppy copy editing going on somewhere. The butter is missing from the FN ingredient list for the brioche dough but it reappears at step 10 (the amount there seems correct). However, the cookbook recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups (315g) of flour for the dough.

For the goo, she does call for 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, but the weight listed in the cookbook is 330g, not 345g. Likewise, the 1/3C of honey is listed in the book at 115g.

I think all the other measurements are the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

I think what she's trying to say is that *actual* buttermilk — the liquid left behind from making butter — is fat free by definition, since the butter is the fat! As such, baking recipes that call for buttermilk are assuming a low or no fat product, and using a full fat product can change the results.

(I think all the buttermilk we can buy here is 1% — the stuff from Kate's is actually a byproduct of butter production and noticeably better, but it's <1% fat. I do remember seeing "whole buttermilk" back in the Midwest.)

The buttermilk available to me (and I had assumed all the buttermilk in US grocery stores) is not a byproduct of butter production.  It is a cultured milk product that used to be called artificial buttermilk.  Like yogurt it can be made with whole milk or reduced fat milk.

26 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The buttermilk available to me (and I had assumed all the buttermilk in US grocery stores) is not a byproduct of butter production.  It is a cultured milk product that used to be called artificial buttermilk.  Like yogurt it can be made with whole milk or reduced fat milk.

Right — most of the buttermilk out there is cultured fresh milk. But traditional buttermilk and cultured low-fat buttermilk are similar enough to be interchangeable, as they have similar fat content. Whole buttermilk (while undeniably much tastier to drink!) could theoretically mess up a sensitive recipe.

The vast majority of what I see here is cultured low-fat buttermilk, but we do have one brand from Maine that claims to be "real" buttermilk:

https://www.kateshomemadebutter.com/Kates-Butter_buttermilk.html

I don't know whether it's actually just the leftovers from the butter churn (I suspect it isn't), but the company's only products are butter and buttermilk. I do know that it tastes better than the other brands!

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1