• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Had to spring for Kevin Belton. Just because, well, NOLA. I'm due. Haven't been there for a couple of years. Mr. B's Bistro is calling me.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A nice way to end the work week...with Jacques Pepin:

Jacques Pepin's "Poulets & Légumes: My Favorite Chicken and Vegetable Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of chicken recipes. Scroll furhter down to see a recipe.

Jacques Pepin's memoir "The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A surprising morning in the search for sale-priced cookbooks:

Jacques Pépin's  "More Fast Food My Way" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
This is the sequel to his "Fast Food My Way" cookbook and PBS TV series.
The Amazon info page has two recipes from the cookbook printed out.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes. Then scroll further down to see recipes.
One caveat, again...the ingredient listings with the recipes are oddly written. They're written on a single line or paragraph, instead of the usual list.

Named one of Fall's Best Cookbooks by Food & Wine, Hugh Acheson's "Sous Vide: Better Home Cooking: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipe listings for seafood.

"The Italian Vegetable Cookbook: 200 Favorite Recipes for Antipasti, Soups, Pasta, Main Dishes, and Desserts" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipe listings from the first chapter. Then scroll further down to see recipes.
The Amazon info page has three dowwnloadable recipes from the cookbook.
One caveat...the ingredient listings with the recipes are oddly written. They're written on a single line, or two, instead of the usual list.

"The Wagamama Cookbook" Kindle Edition $0.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipe listings from the first chapter. There are also recipes for various stocks, broths and "sauces".

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

A repost and anther cookbook:

"Federal Donuts: The (Partially) True Spectacular Story" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Sort of a retelling of how they got started but with recipes, too. Not just doughnuts but chicken and rubs and doughnut glazes, etc.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes listings. Though be warned the feature operated in an odd manner (pages not there...then they appear) when I looked inside.

This is slightly more expensive, plus it has been previously posted. Am reposting it just because...
Vivian Howard's "Deep Run Roots: Stories and Recipes from My Corner of the South" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

Tim Oliver

Funny story regarding my most recent post above: I was originally going to post three cookbooks. But between the time I cut and paste all the information and then checked the links to make sure they worked properly, the price of the third cookbook had jumped up $11US. It shocked the heck outta me that the price change happened so quickly and that's why there are only two cookbooks in that post.

Some finds from this afternoon:

From the award-winning food writer and author of Mashed, Holly Herrick's "The French Cook: Sauces" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.
There's a recipe for Beef Stock on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

"A Time to Celebrate: Let Us Keep the Feast" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

"Les Petits Sweets: Two-Bite Desserts from the French Patisserie" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

• Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

One from my BookBub email and one other find:

"The Farmer's Kitchen Handbook: More Than 200 Recipes for Making Cheese, Curing Meat, Preserving, Fermenting, and More (Handbook Series)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Recipes are listed under the months of the year. Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the January and February listings and corresponding recipes.
A negative review pointed out that the "preserving/canning/sausage making" aspect of this book is given short shrift.

"The American Table: Classic Comfort Food from Across the Country" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

One from my BookBub email and one other find:

"The Farmer's Kitchen Handbook: More Than 200 Recipes for Making Cheese, Curing Meat, Preserving, Fermenting, and More (Handbook Series)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Recipes are listed under the months of the year. Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the January and February listings and corresponding recipes.
A negative review pointed out that the "preserving/canning/sausage making" aspect of this book is given short shrift.

"The American Table: Classic Comfort Food from Across the Country" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

I had a quick look at the reviews for The American Table.  One reviewer complained that there were limits to the number of recipes she could copy into her "cookbook".

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I had a quick look at the reviews for The American Table.  One reviewer complained that there were limits to the number of recipes she could copy into her "cookbook".

I believe the reviewer was talking about copying and pasting from the e-cookbook into her recipe software (which I think she called it "Paprika"). 

Maybe she needs to join "Eat Your Books" so she doesn't have to do that.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Some finds from this afternoon:

From Top Chef's Fabio Viviani, "Fabio's Italian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to the green block that has text in it, which is the recipes from the first chapter. Scroll further down to see recipes.

"Williams-Sonoma Comfort Food: Recipes for Classic Dishes & More" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's recipe listings and scroll further down to see some recipes.
Recipes look to be Imperial and Metric.

"La Vie Rustic: Cooking & Living in the French Style" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There is a recipe from the cookbook "FENNEL & CHICKEN BRAISED with LEMON" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes. 
Recipes are Metric and Imperial.

Sister of singer Jimmy Buffet, Lulu Buffet's "LuLu's Kitchen: A Taste of the Gulf Coast Good Life" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
She's following in Prudhomme's footsteps in that a few of her recipes require her own commercial products to complete.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes. 

i am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

edited to add another:

From a former writer and editor at Bon Appétit, Karen Kaplan's "Open Faced: Single-Slice Sandwiches from Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

Edited by Toliver
misspelling (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

From a former writer and editor at Bon Appétit, Karen Kaplan's "Open Faced: Single-Slice Sandwiches from Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Damn. I really wanted this book but when I tried to buy it Amazon told me I already owned it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, dtremit said:

In today's BookBub: Andrea Nguyen's "Vietnamese Food Any Day" Kindle Edition for $1.99 US (eGullet-friendly Amazon link)

It's focused on making Vietnamese food with US supermarket ingredients, and has a lot of straightforward, weeknight-friendly recipes. 

Unfortunately amazon tells me I already have it.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A new month, new offerings.

A lot of previously posted sale-priced e-cookbooks have been posted once again. There were four pages this month but not a lot of new ones..

"Lavash: The bread that launched 1,000 meals, plus salads, stews, and other recipes from Armenia" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" to see a list of recipes.

"Dinner's in the Oven: Simple One-Pan Meals" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" to see a list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.

Guess it's a theme this month...
"One-Pan Meals: Sheet Pan and Skillet Dinners for the Whole Family" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" and scroll down to see some veggie recipes, and scroll down a little more to see some recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

A wonderful find this afternoon!

Edna Lewis' "In Pursuit of Flavor: The Beloved Classic Cookbook from the Acclaimed Author of The Taste of Country Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
There are 6 recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of some of the recipes, and scroll further down to see some recipes.

"In Search of the Perfect Loaf: A Home Baker's Odyssey" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of the recipes.

Tim Oliver