• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Some finds this afternoon:

I believe this first cookbook may have been posted in the past...not sure...

Ken Forkish's "The Elements of Pizza: Unlocking the Secrets to World-Class Pies at Home [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"Shake Shack: Recipes & Stories: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US**

**Note: This link takes you to the hardcover version. I can't get it to go to the Kindle version. When you get to the cookbook's hardcover page, just click on the Kindle version to get that price.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

16 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Some finds this afternoon:

I believe this first cookbook may have been posted in the past...not sure...

Ken Forkish's "The Elements of Pizza: Unlocking the Secrets to World-Class Pies at Home [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Shake Shack: Recipes & Stories: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US**

**Note: This link takes you to the hardcover version. I can't get it to go to the Kindle version. When you get to the cookbook's hardcover page, just click on the Kindle version to get that price.

Yup.  I bought the Forkish book in 2017. 😳

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Fresh Food in a Jar: Pickling, Freezing, Drying, and Canning Made Easy" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of topics and recipes.

Tim Oliver

From my BookBub email:

From the hosts of the Cooking Channel show, Extra Virgin, it's "Super Tuscan: Heritage Recipes and Simple Pleasures from Our Kitchen to Your Table" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The Amorino Guide to Gelato by Stéphan Lagorce is an Amazon for $1.99.

Thanks.

The Amazon link to the ecookbook is here (click).

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

A mixed bag this afternoon:

"Martha's Vineyard Cookbook: Over 250 Recipes And Lore From A Bountiful Island" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes. 
Oddly, they put the list of ingredients over a wood-textured background...clarity may be an issue to some.

"Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes. 

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

A sort of baking theme this afternoon:

"The Big Bottom Biscuit: Specialty Biscuits and Spreads from Sonoma's Big Bottom Market" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the web site BetterBaking.com"The New Best of Betterbaking.com [Print Replica]" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

20 minutes ago, Toliver said:

A sort of baking theme this afternoon:

"The Big Bottom Biscuit: Specialty Biscuits and Spreads from Sonoma's Big Bottom Market" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the web site BetterBaking.com"The New Best of Betterbaking.com [Print Replica]" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I sprung for Marcy Goldman.  I noted that on Amazon.ca a number of her books are available at a sale price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I sprung for Marcy Goldman.  I noted that on Amazon.ca a number of her books are available at a sale price.

Yes, I noticed that Ms. Goldman was, uhm,...prolific in her book writing. Many of her Kindle cookbooks were also on sale in the Amazon US, too many to post at one time. Thanks for mentioning her. 

Tim Oliver

On 9/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, Toliver said:

"Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes. 

Amá is a great book.  Full of stories of Josef Centeno's family and their recipes.  I've cooked quite a bit from it and liked pretty much everything. A mix of classic Tex Mex and Centeno's imaginative flavors.

• Like 1

It's a new month so new cookbook offerings, right? Uhm, not really. A lot of the cookbooks have been previously posted in this discussion. So, no, not a lot of new offerings this month.

I did find a new-to-this-forum cookbook:

2020 James Beard Award Winner for Photography, "American Sfoglino: A Master Class in Handmade Pasta" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The photography (samples of which you can see when you use the "Look Inside" feature) is very nice.

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. At the very bottom of the preview is part of one recipe...enough to show that the measurements are Metric with Imperial measurements also included.

Please read the one negative review on this cookbook's Amazon info page. Apparently the author is not a fan of pasta machines (hence the emphasis on the word "handmade" in the cookbook's title).

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I own the dead tree version of this book and like it quite a bit.  Anyone who's followed Evan Funke on Instagram knows what he thinks of pasta machines.  Some of his older IG GIFs might better convey pasta shaping than the book's still photos do but the recipes do a wonderful job of showcasing fresh pastas, even if you decide to make them with a machine. At the price, it's a worthwhile read. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

It's a new month so new cookbook offerings, right? Uhm, not really. A lot of the cookbooks have been previously posted in this discussion. So, no, not a lot of new offerings this month.

I did find a new-to-this-forum cookbook:

2020 James Beard Award Winner for Photography, "American Sfoglino: A Master Class in Handmade Pasta" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The photography (samples of which you can see when you use the "Look Inside" feature) is very nice.

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. At the very bottom of the preview is part of one recipe...enough to show that the measurements are Metric with Imperial measurements also included.

Please read the one negative review on this cookbook's Amazon info page. Apparently the author is not a fan of pasta machines (hence the emphasis on the word "handmade" in the cookbook's title).

Sort of bizarre.  Should a normal person get it or not?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sort of bizarre.  Should a normal person get it or not?

I've been thinking about that question, given the author's distaste for pasta machines.

But who's to say you can't use his pasta recipes and go ahead and use your pasta machine to make the pasta? 

Embrace your inner pasta rebel and do whatever the heck you want. It's your kitchen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

Two from Michael Ruhlman that I stumbled across this afternoon...not sure how rudimentary they are.

His "How to Braise" from the series has been previously posted in this discussion. You can click on his name on the Amazon Info page to see his other titles. I believe the "How to Braise" Kindle cookbook is still bargain-priced.

Michael Ruhlman's "Ruhlman's How to Roast: Foolproof Techniques and Recipes for the Home Cook (Ruhlman's How to... Book 1)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Michael Ruhlman's "Ruhlman's How to Saute: Foolproof Techniques and Recipes for the Home Cook (Ruhlman's How to... Book 3)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Both of these were BookBub finds from this past weekend:

"Old-Fashioned Jams, Jellies, and Sweet Preserves: The Best Way to Grow, Preserve, and Bake with Small Fruit" Kindle Edition $1.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of fruits she tackles in this ecookbook.

"The Magic of Mini Pies: Sweet and Savory Miniature Pies and Tarts" Kindle Edition $1.99US
(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

By coincidence I brought Season home from the library and was reading it last night.  When I saw the sale I took the link to amazon.  Amazon informed me that I own a copy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

"Season was also in my BookBub email this morning so I won't post it again. Here some other sale-priced (and slightly more expensive) cookbooks I found this morning:

Helen Nugent's "Pie Style: Stunning Designs and Flavorful Fillings You Can Make at Home" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Measurements seem to be both Metric and Imperial.

Two slightly more expensive finds...

French Bistro cooking in "Buvette: The Pleasure of Good Food" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

"Rose Water and Orange Blossoms: Fresh & Classic Recipes from my Lebanese Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Measurements seem to be both Metric and Imperial.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From my morning BookBub email...this has been posted before but I am posting it again because it's Lidia and it's sale-priced:

"Lidia's Commonsense Italian Cooking: 150 Delicious and Simple Recipes Anyone Can Master: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, then scroll down to see some recipes.

I am also posting this Lidia ecookbook below even though it's slightly more than the usual "slightly more expensive". It's from her PBS television series:

"Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll past the listed index of generic chapters to locate the recipes from the ecookbook listed by episodes of the PBS series.
Then scroll further down to see some recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Two more I stumbled across this evening:

I've been waiting a long time for this ecookbook to become sale-priced (it's very well reviewed):

"Kevin Belton's New Orleans Celebrations" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Restaurateur Marc Murphy (who also appears on Food TV as a 'Chopped' judge) "Season with Authority: Confident Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down a bit to see the recipes from the first chapter. Scroll further down to see some recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver