• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

We'll be all set if there's ever a pandemic.  (Assuming toilet paper.)

You’ll need a lot of toilet paper if you eat a lot of beans.  Just saying...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, chefmd said:

You’ll need a lot of toilet paper if you eat a lot of beans.  Just saying...

My point exactly.  Beans on the menu tonight.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am in the same camp -- bursting at the seams with beans. But hey, I'm cooking one pound tonight, which means I'm on the way to fixing the problem. Right? 

Long term I'm not all that concerned; we are trying to cut back on meat consumption so we'll get through them.

I have asked my better half to pester me to make beans at least once a week — which is double the rate they ship them at — and I think there'll be no non-club orders until the stockpile's smaller.

• Like 1

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks,  @Toliver. I am not doing much cooking these days consequently not really paying too much attention to cookbooks. The Salvage Chef caught my eye or perhaps I should say my curiosity.  So far I am most impressed by how many pages can be devoted to introductory matter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Two found this afternoon:

From the authors of the IACP award-winning cookbook KEEPERS, "The Dinner Plan: Simple Weeknight Recipes and Strategies for Every Schedule" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive...
"A Handful of Flour: Recipes from Shipton Mill" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

A surprise in this morning's BookBub email:

Fuchsia Dunlop's "Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll way down to see her listings of suggested menus which I believe are the recipes from this cookbook.
You can scroll all the way down to see part of a recipe. 
The measurements look to be both Imperial and Metric.

i am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Fuchsia Dunlop's "Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll way down to see her listings of suggested menus which I believe are the recipes from this cookbook.

i am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

I couldn't resist that one and had a dollar Kindle credit I had forgotten about.  If you "Look Inside" the hard cover version, you can see the index.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I already own this in print and still consider it a steal for $3!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Looks like Stella Parks' BraveTart is also $2.99 right now (Kindle)

Thank you to Toliver for name dropping BookBub...(my wallet may have a different opinion)

Someone here on eGullet name-dropped it on me and I signed up.

BookBub sends me a lot of suggestions that I would never buy (Vegan!? Do I look like a Vegan? xD), but sometimes they send gold nuggets or their "duds" lead me to find gold nuggets on Amazon on my own.

Tim Oliver

A couple more finds this afternoon....

James Villas' "Southern Fried: More Than 150 Recipes for Crab Cakes, Fried Chicken, Hush Puppies, and More" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There are 3 recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down for a recipe for batter from the cookbook.

"Cuisine Nicoise: Sun-Kissed Cooking from the French Riviera" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"Le French Oven" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see one of the recipes.
The Amazon info page for this cookbook also has a recipe from the cookbook on it.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

The Kindle version of Josef Centeno's first book, Bäco: Vivid Recipes from the Heart of Los Angeles is currently $2.99 on Amazon in the US.  Sadly, not in Canada. 

I have a hard copy of the book.  It uses a lot of unusual ingredients and some recipes are rather involved but I find the it always inspires me to cook! 

• Like 1

It's the first of the month so there are new e-cookbook deals (last month saw only one page of bargain-priced e-cookbooks, this month there are two pages...yippee ¬¬).

However, a lot of the e-cookbooks being offered for a low price this month have been previously posted in this discussion so I won't post them again (Jacques Pepin, Dorie Greenspan, etc). 

Quite a number of them have a new "sticker" stating "Limited Time Deal" on them so fair warning...

Edited to add...

In case anyone would like to see the sale-priced cookbooks being currently offered on Amazon, here are How-To Instructions (I do not work for Amazon nor do I receive any remuneration from them. I just like a bargain-priced cookbook!):

On the Amazon Home page, in the upper left corner, is a box with three horizontal lines in it. This is a sort of "Table of Contents".
Click on that box.
On the drop-down menu that appears, click on "Kindle E-Readers & Books".
On the menu that appears next, click on "Kindle Books" (just under the words "Kindle Store" on this menu).
Once you get to the Kindle Books home page, just under the top dark-colored banner, in the top of the white section, are some Kindle-related links. One of them is "Kindle Book Deals". Click on that link.
On this new Kindle Book Deals page, on the left hand side (you may have to scroll down to see them) are categories of books, one of which is "Cookbooks, Food & Wine".

Click on that link to see what e-cookbooks are currently on sale.

Edited by Toliver
To Offer Instructions (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

This morning I found this cookbook was on sale again (note that its sequel is currently not bargain-priced):

I am posting this cookbook again because the last time it was on sale, the sale didn't last long and it went back up to its regular price quickly.

Jacques Pépin's "Fast Food My Way" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

This morning I found this cookbook was on sale again (note that its sequel is currently not bargain-priced):

I am posting this cookbook again because the last time it was on sale, the sale didn't last long and it went back up to its regular price quickly.

Jacques Pépin's "Fast Food My Way" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Thank you.  (I think)

• Haha 1

Found this afternoon....

"Jon Bonnell's Waters: Fine Coastal Cuisine" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see a few of the recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Question for the bargain hunters:  after purchasing Joe Yonan' Cool Beans, amazon offered me a $5.00 credit on Serve Yourself, making the price $5.99.  Worth it or wait till it might be on sale?

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:25 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Question for the bargain hunters:  after purchasing Joe Yonan' Cool Beans, amazon offered me a $5.00 credit on Serve Yourself, making the price $5.99.  Worth it or wait till it might be on sale?

To reply to my own post:  I brought a copy of Serve Yourself home from work tonight.  It is by no means horrible and I might even make a couple recipes.  But I resisted Jeff's blandishments to spend $5.99 for a copy of my own.

• Like 1

From this morning's BookBub email:

NEW YORK TIMES bestseller "Half Baked Harvest Super Simple: More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

Tim Oliver