• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Essential Homemade Sauces Cookbook: Recipes and Companion Dishes to Elevate Your Meals" Kindle Edition $.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

An odd one from BookBub:

"Fix-It and Forget-It Baking with Your Slow Cooker: 150 Slow Cooker Recipes for Breads, Pizza, Cakes, Tarts, Crisps, Bars, Pies, Cupcakes, and More!" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Eat Like a Rock Star: More Than 100 Recipes from Rock ‘n' Roll's Greatest" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

A new month, more sale-priced cookbooks...I left off cookbooks that I have posted before and are on sale again:

A food essay book with recipes: "Eat Joy: Stories & Comfort Food from 31 Celebrated Writers" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see one recipe from the cookbook.

Elizabeth Bard's "Picnic in Provence: A Memoir with Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

Laura Calder's "French Food at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes from the cookbook.
Uses Imperial as well as Metric measurements.

From the owners of San Francisco's Rich Table "Rich Table: A Cookbook for Making Beautiful Meals at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

Uses Imperial as well as Metric measurements.

"Best Dressed: 50 Recipes, Endless Salad Inspiration" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive...
Some celebrity cookbooks...

"Patricia Heaton's Food for Family and Friends: 100 Favorite Recipes for a Busy, Happy Life" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Martina McBride's "Around the Table: Recipes and Inspiration for Gatherings Throughout the Year" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"The Arthur Avenue Cookbook: Recipes and Memories from the Real Little Italy" Kindle Edition $3.99US

First published in 1985, Daniel Halpern's "The Good Food: A Cookbook of Soups, Stews, and Pastas" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

"Luscious Lemon Desserts" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Emeril's Potluck: Comfort Food with a Kicked-Up Attitude" Kindle Edition $2.99US

He looks like a very young man on this cookbook's cover.
Use the"Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From a recent BookBub email:

Jim Lahey's "My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Not a cookbook at all, but I am posting it in case anyone is interested in the first book of the trilogy:

J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

This isn't a cookbook but free sample recipes from a lot of Random House cookbooks (from Random House, of course):

"A Taste of Summer"

You can scroll down this page to see the cookbooks that the samples are from.

Near the top of the page there's a link titled "Get A Taste of Summer »", which opens a PDF file containing the free recipes. You can look through the PDF to see if you want it.

If you want it, right click on the PDF and choose "Save as" to save it to your computer.

Tim Oliver

Some finds on Amazon this afternoon:

Pancakes from around the world...
"Flipping Good" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes.
Measurements are metric.

"Puerto Rican Cuisine in America: Nuyorican and Bodega Recipes" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

Something old and some news ones:

This has been posted before, but am posting it again for anyone who wasn't around then.
Rancho Gordo (Steve Sando)'s "Heirloom Beans: Recipes from Rancho Gordo" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Every Day is Saturday: Recipes + Strategies for Easy Cooking, Every Day of the Week" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. You can scroll down to see part of a recipe that seem to show that measurements are in both Imperial and Metric measurements.

This might have been posted before...not sure:

"Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs in Krauts, Kimchis, Brined Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes & Pastes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Well reviewed.

Tim Oliver

On 7/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, Toliver said:

"Puerto Rican Cuisine in America: Nuyorican and Bodega Recipes" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I have the print version of that book(mine is the 2002 edition). I've culled my cookbook collection a few times since I bought it, and it remains.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 2

Some finds this afternoon...

Michael Ruhlman's "From Scratch: 10 Meals, 175 Recipes, and Dozens of Techniques You Will Use Over and Over" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to view some recipes.

Measurements are Imperial and Metric.

Jacques Pépin's "Fast Food My Way" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to view recipes. He also suggests menus using the recipes in the cookbook.

"Short Order Dad: One Guy?s Guide to Making Food Fun and Hassle-Free" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food:Authentic dishes and modern twists" Kindle Edition $3.31US

A food-related memoir, no recipes...
David M. Masumoto's "Epitaph for a Peach: Four Seasons on My Family Farm" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I sprang for the Ruhlman book thanks for the heads-up. Pepin is already back up to $9.99!

Incidentally, I have Epitaph for a Peach on hard copy from when it first came out. I recommend it. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As prices go this is more in the "slightly more expensive" than "crazy good" category, but I want to point out a book anyway. I fell down the rabbit hole of eG Foodblogs, and found the fine 2006 entry divina: Over the Tuscan Stove. Judy/divina hasn't been around here since 2009, but her web site shows that she's still alive and teaching - well, will be when things reopen from the pandemic. And she has a cookbook out.

Secrets from my Tuscan Kitchen, by eG member divina, is $3.99 in Kindle format from Amazon.

I do not need another cookbook. I do not need another cookbook. I have another cookbook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I didn't need another cookbook, either. But thanks, I got this one! I always enjoyed Judy's posts. And I think her walnut sauce is the one we had years ago in Tuscany. We stayed for several nights at an agriturismo outside San Gimignano, and one afternoon, the owners went to pick up a friend in Florence, so nonna made dinner---her farfalle in walnut sauce was a first of its kind for us and clearly unforgettable. 

• Like 2

An odd one from BookBub:

"The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook: Sweet Treats for the Geek in All of Us" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes for sweets.
Scroll down to see an incomplete recipe for apple pie.

Well reviewed.

Tim Oliver

Wow... lots of interesting finds this morning. Some familiar names, too:

Yes, Marcella's son continues the tradition...
"Giuliano Hazan's Thirty Minute Pasta: 100 Quick and Easy Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see a couple of the recipes.

Nathalie Dupree's "Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes. Then scroll down to see many of the recipes.

Another by Natalie Dupree:
"Southern Biscuits" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"New England Farmgirl: Recipes & Stories from a Farmer's Daughter" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see a couple of the recipes

"Culinary Mexico: Authentic Recipes and Traditions" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see some recipes.

"The Big Red Book of Tomatoes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some recipes.

"The Mustard Book" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Orange Appeal: Savory and Sweet" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Writer and creator of the popular food blog Marche Dimanche, Hillary Davis' "French Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There's a recipe for "Cheese Soufflés in a Mug" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Also by Hillary Davis:"French Desserts" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Monet's Palate Cookbook: The Artist & His Kitchen at Giverny" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Food Gift Love: More Than 100 Recipes to Make, Wrap, and Share" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Well, what the heck. How could I turn down a book by Nathalie Dupree that has a preface by the late, great Pat Conroy? I clicked on "Mastering the Art..." wondering whether I'd already purchased it. No, I hadn't. (I have now.) What I HAD already purchased was her biscuit book. In 2012. Yeesh. O.o

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Well, what the heck. How could I turn down a book by Nathalie Dupree that has a preface by the late, great Pat Conroy? I clicked on "Mastering the Art..." wondering whether I'd already purchased it. No, I hadn't. (I have now.) What I HAD already purchased was her biscuit book. In 2012. Yeesh. O.o

I was about to click on the biscuit book till I read one amazon review that said the Nathalie Dupree biscuits were good but that Rose Levy Beranbaum's biscuits were better.  Rose's book was out of my present Kindle price range, $37.99, and for some reason amazon at first did not inform me that I owned it.  But I do!  I hadn't read it.  I hadn't even downloaded it.  After I did the download amazon registered that I owned it.  I'd owned it for three years.

Now I'm trying to get my head around the idea of adding hardboiled yolks to biscuits.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now I'm trying to get my head around the idea of adding hardboiled yolks to biscuits.

That's a technique used for "ovis molis", one of the many traditional cookies here. The cooked yolks give a really tender texture, you do not even need to chew, they dissolve as soon as you put them in the mouth. Beware we are talking about biscotti tyoe stuff, here in Italy biscotti is the general term, what you call biscotti in the USA is just a single product. Our biscotti are in the family of shortbread, so the texture is different to what you call cookies.

Teo

• Thanks 2

Teo

Two from BookBub this weekend:

The Great British Bake Off finalist Ruth Clemens' "The Pink Whisk Guide to Bread Making: Brilliant Basics Step-by-Step" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the short list of recipes.

"How to Dry Foods" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

A strange mix this evening:

"Wagamama Ways With Noodles" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes for noodle sauces.

"Paladares: Recipes Inspired by the Private Restaurants of Cuba" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.
Measurements are Imperial and Metric.

"Humphrey Slocombe Ice Cream Book" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Looks like it contains recipes and stories from the Bay Area shop.

"The Foreign Cinema Cookbook: Recipes and Stories Under the Stars" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Ritz London: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $0.99US

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Looked at the ice cream book as I have a couple of recipes from that book ny niece sent me.  In reading the reviews, some said the book was sloppy and salt and sugar amounts were off.  I can't speak to the book but one of the recipes I have from that book calls for 2 tablespoons of SALT.  Just though t I would mention it.

• Sad 2

Strange books indeed.  I looked at Wagamama.  Maybe I missed something but I saw no noodle recipes?  Humphrey Slocombe did not appeal.  Almost never do I pass up an ice cream book on sale.  But I'd want to evaluate a recipe first.

The Ritz seemed like a safe enough purchase till I saw gin in a French 75.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou