• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That Bayless book is excellent and there's a whole thread devoted to it right over here.  He starts it off with recipes for "Four secret weapons I always have in my refrigerator:" Green Chile Adobo, Quick Red Chile Adobo, Roasted Garlic Mojo and Sweet-Sour Dark Chipotle Seasoning.  Each recipe is followed by a bulleted list of simple uses and a list of other recipes in the book that incorporate it. That initial chapter is worth the $2.99 in my opinion.  

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the Kindle version of Maida Heatter's Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake is currently priced at $3.99 on both Amazon.com and .ca.  This book came out last year right around the time the author passed away and is a "greatest-hits" compilation of recipes from her previous books.  As such, it may be of interest to folks who don't have those older books - the recipes appear exactly as in the originals and were not edited, even to include weights, which would have been useful or to add photographs. 

Thanks!  Just bought the Heatter book.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email:

Rick Bayless' "More Mexican Everyday: Simple, Seasonal, Celebratory" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see one of the recipes from the cookbook.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

How could I pass up "#1 Bestseller in Special Cooking Appliances".

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From this morning's BookBub email..I caution you that one of the cookbooks is about healthy food (I don't normally post special diet cookbooks xD😞

From the Once Upon a Chef blogger, Jennifer Segal's "Once Upon a Chef, the Cookbook: 100 Tested, Perfected, and Family-Approved Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the :Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Note that recipes seem to use both Imperial and Metric measurements.

"Luscious Chocolate Desserts" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the :Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email..I caution you that one of the cookbooks is about healthy food (I don't normally post special diet cookbooks xD😞

From the Once Upon a Chef blogger, Jennifer Segal's "Once Upon a Chef, the Cookbook: 100 Tested, Perfected, and Family-Approved Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the :Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Note that recipes seem to use both Imperial and Metric measurements.

"Luscious Chocolate Desserts" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the :Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Which one?

• Haha 3

From today's BookBub email:

"Great British Cooking: A Wellkept Secret" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Insert joke: I am surprised it wasn't named "Great British Cooking: The Oxymoron". :wink:
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see some recipes.
Oddly, the measurements in the cookbook are Imperial, not Metric.

Edited by Toliver
edited for mispelking (log)
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

The Kindle version of Samin Nosrat's Salt Fat Acid Heat is currently $3.99 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.  

I'm not wild about cooking from ebooks but, in my opinion, the value of this book are the first 4 sections as named in the title. Great textbook for learning how to cook, especially if you take occasional breaks to watch her Netflix show of the same name.  From Amazon's "Look Inside" feature, it looks like Wendy McNaughton's charming illustrations come through well. 

The recipes that follow those sections certainly do work but this is also a book that you could just read through and get a lot from. 

Edited to add:

The Kindle edition of Smitten Kitchen Everyday by Deb Perelman is $4.99 so maybe not a crazy bargain but still a good price for a solid book.  I own the paper version and like it.  This one is NOT currently bargain priced on Amazon.ca. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add SKED (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The Ultimate Slow Cooker Cookbook: No-Fuss Recipes for Classic Dishes & New Favorites" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Samin Nosrat's Salt Fat Acid Heat is currently $3.99 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.  

I'm not wild about cooking from ebooks but, in my opinion, the value of this book are the first 4 sections as named in the title. Great textbook for learning how to cook, especially if you take occasional breaks to watch her Netflix show of the same name.  From Amazon's "Look Inside" feature, it looks like Wendy McNaughton's charming illustrations come through well. 

The recipes that follow those sections certainly do work but this is also a book that you could just read through and get a lot from. 

Edited to add:

The Kindle edition of Smitten Kitchen Everyday by Deb Perelman is $4.99 so maybe not a crazy bargain but still a good price for a solid book.  I own the paper version and like it.  This one is NOT currently bargain priced on Amazon.ca. 

Salt Fat Acid Heat also comes with a $0.60 credit.  First time I've seen this.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Edited to add:

Sigh. 🙁

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Edited to add:

Everyone seems to like Salt Fat Acid Heat  book.  I found it difficult to read and boring.  There is a lot more info on cooking methods on eGullet.  I seem to learn something new every day.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Everyone seems to like Salt Fat Acid Heat  book.  I found it difficult to read and boring.  There is a lot more info on cooking methods on eGullet.  I seem to learn something new every day.

I loved the first section, liked the second one and found it a bit of a slog to get through the final two. That said, after the Netflix series came out, I went back to re-read them and it seemed like a package that made great sense with the videos to break up all that reading. 

But we're all different so anyone considering their $3.99 investment would be wise to take your advice and steer clear!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I loved the first section, liked the second one and found it a bit of a slog to get through the final two. That said, after the Netflix series came out, I went back to re-read them and it seemed like a package that made great sense with the videos to break up all that reading. 

But we're all different so anyone considering their $3.99 investment would be wise to take your advice and steer clear!

I borrowed it from the library. Remember the days when libraries were open?!  3.99 is a great price for it even if one loves only a few sections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

I borrowed it from the library. Remember the days when libraries were open?!  3.99 is a great price for it even if one loves only a few sections.

I read Salt Fat Acid Heat from the library and was not riotously thrilled but thought it was probably worth $3.99, after I took into account the $0.60 promotional credit.

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read Salt Fat Acid Heat from the library and was not riotously thrilled but thought it was probably worth $3.99, after I took into account the $0.60 promotional credit.

I think the sixty cents is probably key!

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Picked up my first post-virus cookbook from the library today!  I'd put it on hold shortly before they shut down and was first in the hold queue all this time!

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Picked up my first post-virus cookbook from the library today!  I'd put it on hold shortly before they shut down and was first in the hold queue all this time!

And you aren't going to tell us what it is?

• Haha 3

Today's find:

"Newlywed Cookbook: Fresh Ideas & Modern Recipes for Cooking with & for Each Other" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

One from this morning's BookBub email and one stumbled upon while looking for the email cookbook:

"Food from my Heart: Cuisines of Mexico Remembered and Reimagined" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Arthur Schwartz's "Naples at Table: Cooking in Campania" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

It started with my morning BookBub email and the others were found along the way:

"Food Drying with an Attitude: A Fun and Fabulous Guide to Creating Snacks, Meals, and Crafts" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"We Are La Cocina: Recipes in Pursuit of the American Dream" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Slightly more expensive...
"Unforgettable: The Bold Flavors of Paula Wolfert's Renegade Life" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Based upon the TV series, "Feed Me Bubbe: Recipes and Wisdom from America's Favorite Online Grandmother" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's recipe listings and scroll down a little further to see recipes.
The book seems to have both Imperial and Metric measurements.

• Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

8 minutes ago, Toliver said:

"The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's recipe listings and scroll down a little further to see recipes.
The book seems to have both Imperial and Metric measurements.

Not on sale at Amazon.ca  Sigh.

• Sad 1

Pastry chef Lei Shishak's "Beach House Baking: An Endless Summer of Delicious Desserts" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

Tim Oliver