• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

From this morning's BookBub email...I stumbled across the others...

"Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream Book" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Not just ice cream recipes but topping recipes, as well.

Slightly more expensive (by 4 cents US)...
From the London Italian eatery Bocca di Lupo, Jacob Kenedy's "Bocca: Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.03US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.
Note recipes measurements use weight.

And for those who missed it when it was first listed 2 years ago and sporadically popping up on sale since then, this is on sale again:
"Momofuku Milk Bar: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime Member and the price you see may vary.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

FYI: Always being up for a new canning/preserving book, I clicked on the Hands-On Home. It came up $17.99 on Kindle. I, too, am an US Prime member. 

Dammit. I would have liked to have had that one.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It seemed to start off with a theme (eggs) and quickly devolved from there...

"Egg: Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Slightly more expensive...
Michael Ruhlman's "Egg: A Culinary Exploration of the World's Most Versatile Ingredient" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Slightly more expensive (by 4 cents-US)...
"Herbs: River Cottage Handbook No.10" Kindle Edition $3.03US
A how to grow herbs, cookbook with some recipes in the latter section of the cookbook.

So I fell down the Amazon rabbit hole locating other books in this series...

If there's an omission in the series, it's because those cookbooks weren't bargain-priced.

"Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2" Kindle Edition $3.03US

"Veg Patch: River Cottage Handbook No.4" Kindle Edition $3.03US

"Edible Seashore: River Cottage Handbook No.5" Kindle Edition $3.03US

"Hedgerow: River Cottage Handbook No.7 1st Edition" Kindle Edition $3.03 US

"Fruit: River Cottage Handbook No.9" Kindle Edition $3.03

"Chicken & Eggs: River Cottage Handbook No.11" Kindle Edition $3.03US

"Pigs & Pork: River Cottage Handbook No.14" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"Game: River Cottage Handbook No.15" Kindle Edition $3.03US

"Cheese & Dairy: River Cottage Handbook No.16" Kindle Edition $3.03US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

Had to spring for Egg when I saw it in my BookBub email this morning.

River Cottage books look good, but...no. Just ... no.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It started with a BookBub email, yada, yada, yada...:wink:

From Julia Moskin &  Kim Severson, foor writers from the NY Times, "CookFight: 2 Cooks, 12 Challenges, 125 Recipes, an Epic Battle for Kitchen Dominance" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.

From Frank Bruni & Jennifer Steinhauer "A Meatloaf in Every Oven: Two Chatty Cooks, One Iconic Dish and Dozens of Recipes - from Mom's to Mario Batali's" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Handheld Pies: Dozens of Pint-Size Sweets and Savories" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Tokyo Cult Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the proprietors of the renowned Brooklyn shop and cafe,"The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I am a US Prime memner and the price you see may vary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Just one today from my BookBub email:

"The Easy Baked Donut Cookbook: 60 Sweet and Savory Recipes for Your Oven and Mini Donut Maker" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (in a rather small typeface).

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Just one today from my BookBub email:

"The Easy Baked Donut Cookbook: 60 Sweet and Savory Recipes for Your Oven and Mini Donut Maker" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (in a rather small typeface).

Thanks, @Toliver for sending these to us every day.  I thought this looked interesting so I read the reviews.   All of 5 reviewers received free copies of the book for review.  Near as I could tell, two of the five hadn't baked anything from the book and I wasn't sure about the third.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks, @Toliver for sending these to us every day.  I thought this looked interesting so I read the reviews.   All of 5 reviewers received free copies of the book for review.  Near as I could tell, two of the five hadn't baked anything from the book and I wasn't sure about the third.

Thanks @ElsieD, I think it's important to do a little research on a cookbook before plunking your money down, so to speak, whether it's a measly buck or over $20 bucks.

Like you I also tend to scan the reviews especially if the cookbook doesn't have a full 5-Star average in its review.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Sara Foster's Southern Kitchen: Soulful, Traditional, Seasonal: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's list of recipes. Scroll further down to see recipes.
There is also a rather large excerpt from the cookbook on this book's Amazon Info page, including recipes.

There were a lot of other bargain-priced cookbooks on sale (Ina Garten, Bobby Flay, etc) but they've all been previously posted.

You can find a lot of them listed under the heading "Customers who bought this book also bought these" section of the above-listed Amazon cookbook's info page.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may may vary.

Tim Oliver

38 minutes ago, Toliver said:

There were a lot of other bargain-priced cookbooks on sale (Ina Garten, Bobby Flay, etc) but they've all been previously posted. You can find a lot of them listed under the heading "Customers who bought this book also bought these" section of the above-listed Amazon cookbook's info page.

I found The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America Kindle Edition - 1.99 . I was just thinking this morning that I'm almost done with Kitchen Confidential and was going to need new reading material for our (being hopeful here) vacation. I don't care to lug dead tree books around if I can avoid it.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Stumbled across these this afternoon:

"James Beard's American Cookery" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see lots of recipes from the cookbook.

This may have been posted before. It's from Holland which explains some of the recipes.
"Home Made in the Oven: Truly Easy, Comforting Recipes for Baking, Broiling, and Roasting" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the months-of-the-year recipe listings.

"Bergdorf Goodman Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Scroll all the way down to see a couple of the cocktail recipes.

"The Culinary Bro-Down Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive than usual...
"Rachael Ray's Look + Cook: 100 Can't Miss Main Courses in Pictures, Plus 125 All New Recipes: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see lots of recipes from the cookbook.
There's a recipe for "Midwinter Minestrone" from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon email page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email...not sure if it's been posted before (there have been so many canning cookbooks on sale):

"The Amish Canning Cookbook: Plain and Simple Living at Its Homemade Best" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Emeril's Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

There were quite a number of Emeril's cookbook listed under "Customers who bought this item also bought...".

They were going for a much lower than normal price but since they aren't bargain-priced I won't list them here.

Tim Oliver

The cookbook that started the baking trend:
"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

The cookbook that started the baking trend:
"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking" Kindle Edition $1.99US

After I clicked amazon told me there was an updated edition of the book...

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

After I clicked amazon told me there was an updated edition of the book...

You would want the updated version.  I have the original and there were a number of errors in it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

You would want the updated version.  I have the original and there were a number of errors in it.

Now she tells me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now she tells me.

When the book first came out they came out with a list of corrections and I wrote the corrections in my book.  I looked on their web site and couldn't find it.  Maybe you can contact them through their web site and ask them about it?  Meanwhile if you see something you want to make, ask me and I'll check to see if there was a correction for that recipe.

Edited by ElsieD
added "I" wrote the corrections (log)
  • Thanks 1

A new month, new offerings. Some are priced higher than usual. I am including them due to the author or the cookbook of note.

"Artisan Sourdough Made Simple: A Beginner's Guide to Delicious Handcrafted Bread with Minimal Kneading" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Also, there are a lot of bargain-priced Sourdough cookbooks listed under "Customers who bought this item also bought..."

Ayesha Curry's (wife of NBA player Stephen Curry) "The Seasoned Life: Food, Family, Faith, and the Joy of Eating Well (Tastes)" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"The Homemade Flour Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of flours and scroll down to see some of the recipes.
Uses both Imperial and Metric measurements.

Matt Pellegrini's "The Art of Baking Bread: What You Really Need to Know to Make Great Bread" Kindle Edition $1.99US

These next cookbooks are not the usual bargain-price. They're priced slightly higher. Some have been posted before. I am posting them again due to the author of note.

Masaharu Morimoto's "Mastering the Art of Japanese Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US

"Martha Stewart's Appetizers: 200 Recipes for Dips, Spreads, Snacks, Small Plates, and Other Delicious Hors d' Oeuvres, Plus 30 Cocktails: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Baking Bible" Kindle Edition $4.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US

Dorie Greenspan's "Everyday Dorie: The Way I Cook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

From the Editors of Garden and Gun "The Southerner's Cookbook: Recipes, Wisdom, and Stories (Garden & Gun Books Book 3)" Kindle Edition $4.99US

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

Rick Bayless' "More Mexican Everyday: Simple, Seasonal, Celebratory" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see one of the recipes from the cookbook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Rick Bayless' "More Mexican Everyday: Simple, Seasonal, Celebratory" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see one of the recipes from the cookbook.

That Bayless book is excellent and there's a whole thread devoted to it right over here.  He starts it off with recipes for "Four secret weapons I always have in my refrigerator:" Green Chile Adobo, Quick Red Chile Adobo, Roasted Garlic Mojo and Sweet-Sour Dark Chipotle Seasoning.  Each recipe is followed by a bulleted list of simple uses and a list of other recipes in the book that incorporate it. That initial chapter is worth the $2.99 in my opinion.  

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the Kindle version of Maida Heatter's Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake is currently priced at $3.99 on both Amazon.com and .ca.  This book came out last year right around the time the author passed away and is a "greatest-hits" compilation of recipes from her previous books.  As such, it may be of interest to folks who don't have those older books - the recipes appear exactly as in the originals and were not edited, even to include weights, which would have been useful or to add photographs. 

• Like 1