• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  Now I have my own copy of that ranch dressing so I don't have to hunt around here for it....you know....in case I ever decide to make it!

You still have to find it!  The recipe is not in the index.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You still have to find it!  The recipe is not in the index.

But that's the good thing about the Kindle version - found it in a flash with a search for "ranch"

Edited to add that finding ramps to pickle is much less easy but I knew that! 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Found this cookbook this afternoon:

"So Much to Celebrate: Entertaining the Ones You Love the Whole Year Through" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes divided up into seasons, then scroll down to some of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Another suggestion from BookBub...a "celebrity" cookbook:

Valerie Bertinelli's "One Dish at a Time: Delicious Recipes and Stories from My Italian-American Childhood and Beyond : A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There are 3 recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's info page:
CHALLAH FRENCH TOAST
LEMON CURD PANCAKES
PUMPKIN PANCAKES

Ironically, if you use the "Look Inside" feature you can see these same 3 recipes.:wink:

Tim Oliver

This is a FREE sampler cookbook with recipes from various baking/dessert cookbooks. 

It's a downloadable Ten Speed Press PDF file.

http://www.randomhousebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/ClarksonPotter_TenSpeed_BakingSampler_2020_.pdf

Scroll down to see the actual recipes (with pictures of the well known cookbooks that the recipes are from).

Right click on the open PDF file and select "Save As" and save the PDF file to your computer's hard drive.

Not sure how long this free recipe sampler will be available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

It's not even a new month, yet, and there are a lot of new (inexpensive) cookbooks...

I fell down an Amazon rabbit hole thanks to my BookBub weekend emails and found quite a number of cookbooks:

Slightly more expensive:
Ina Garten's "Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter ("Cocktails") recipe list and some of the recipes.

The low(er) price is a surprise as it's a relatively new cookbook.

You currently get a $0.50 credit when you purchase this Kindle Cookbook.

Slightly more expensive:
"The River Cottage Australia Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.03US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (NOTE: The listing is in light colored text and may be difficult to read).

Slightly more expensive:
"Let's Stay In: More than 120 Recipes to Nourish the People You Love" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Loook Inside" feature. No listing of recipes, but they're grouped by occasion.

Scroll down to see the first chapter recipe list followed by some recipes.

Slightly more expensive:
From another London eatery, "POLPO: A Venetian Cookbook (Of Sorts) 1st Edition" Kindle Edition  $3.03US
Use the "Look Inside" Feature and scroll down to see some recipes. NOTE measurements are metric.

"Easy Chinese Cookbook: Restaurant Favorites Made Simple" Kindle Edition $0.99US
There is a recipe for Egg Drop Soup on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

From the Great British Baking Show's Merry Berry - "Baking with Mary Berry: Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and Pastries from the British Queen of Baking" Kindle Edition $1.99US
(A lot of other Bake Off-related cookbooks are on sale, as well)
Also, scroll down to see the many "how to" photographs in the cookbook.

From London, "The Borough Market Cookbook: Recipes and stories from a year at the market" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to the bottom to see one of the recipes from the cookbook.

NOTE: Measurements look to be metric/weights.

Also from the UK, Channel 4's cooking star/host "Liam Charles Second Helpings: 70 wicked recipes that will leave you wanting more" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

From Holland, Yvette van Boven's "Home Made in the Oven: Truly Easy, Comforting Recipes for Baking, Broiling, and Roasting" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the unusual list of recipes (seasonal by month) and scroll down to see recipes.

From the UK's "Olive" Magazine, "Olive: 100 of the Very Best Chicken Recipes" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Don't bother using the "Look Inside" feature, the content isn't there.

From the Central London restaurant by the same name "Death by Burrito" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Measurements are metric/by weight.
Use the "Look Inside" Feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some recipes.

From NYC's BarBacon, "The Bacon Bible: More than 200 recipes for bacon you never knew you needed" Kindle Edition $2.99US
If you ever wanted to make your bacon, this may be the cookbook for you. There are also lots of recipes using bacon as an ingredient.
Use the "Loook Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see recipes.

Anna Del Conte's "Classic Italian Recipes: 75 signature dishes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a recipe.

edited to add one more:

Slightly more expensive:
"Date Night In: More than 120 Recipes to Nourish Your Relationship" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list (in a very small font) of recipes and scroll down to see lots of recipes. Note measurements are metric.

Edited by Toliver
added another cookbook listing (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

15 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Slightly more expensive:
From another London eatery, "POLPO: A Venetian Cookbook (Of Sorts) 1st Edition" Kindle Edition  $3.03US
Use the "Look Inside" Feature and scroll down to see some recipes. NOTE measurements are metric.

Polpo is a favorite of mine.  Lots of ideas for crostini and other small bites in the Cichèti chapter. 

• Like 2

A couple of Marisa McClellan's (of Food in Jars) preserving books are current Kindle bargains on Amazon.com.  

Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces from the author of Food in Jars is $2.99 is one I've had my eye on for some time for small batch preserving.

Naturally Sweet Food in Jars: 100 Preserves Made with Coconut, Maple, Honey, and Moreis also $2.99

Both are $3.99 on Amazon.ca 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

A couple of Marisa McClellan's (of Food in Jars) preserving books are current Kindle bargains on Amazon.com.  

Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces from the author of Food in Jars is $2.99 is one I've had my eye on for some time for small batch preserving.

Naturally Sweet Food in Jars: 100 Preserves Made with Coconut, Maple, Honey, and Moreis also $2.99

Both are $3.99 on Amazon.ca 

Thanks! I bit on Preserving by the Pint. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

So Amazon has this "Great on Kindle" thing going and when you buy certain Kindle versions of books, you get a (small) credit towards a book in their "Great on Kindle" section.

While I was perusing the section this morning, I saw these two books and thought I would post them in case anyone is interested. I don't know how long they will be on sale:

Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour: In Search of the Perfect Meal" Kindle Edition $1.99US (price before credit, if you have one, applied)

Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" Kindle Edition $1.99US (price before credit, if you have one, applied)

Tim Oliver

I enjoyed Kitchen Confidential, so I sprang for Cook's Tour. I'm wondering if it's going to be anything like Eat My Globe, by Simon Majundar (and I may not have spelled that right). Anyone read it?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb I had the dead tree version of A Cook's Tour. Only read a small portion of it. Gave it to a friend who reads a lot since I only read in fits and starts*. He got more use out of it. I don't know if he passed it on or not.

*I bought Helen Hoover's A Place in the Woods in December and am only about 70% through it.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Porthos, I, on the other hand, read voraciously. I'll go through three novels a week (mostly mystery-thriller type stuff; right now I'm hooked on British detectives/police procedurals). But I'll also have two or three other books, normally non-fiction, going at a time. Those take me longer; I read a little, then go back to my novel, etc. Usually there's a cookbook, a history or philosophy or religion book, and some kind of biography going.

Haven't been in to reading cookbooks of late, so Cook's Tour will fill that slot for a few days.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A new month so new offerings...

The first listing is a pre-order, being released on 5-5-20:
Nancy Silverton's "Cooking from Your Pantry: Delicious Meals in 30 Minutes or Less, with Ingredients from Jars, Cans, Bags, and Boxes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Michael Ruhlman's "Ruhlman's How to Braise: Foolproof Techniques and Recipes for the Home Cook (Ruhlman's How to... Book 2)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
One in a series of cookbooks discussing special cooking methods.

"The Farm Cooking School" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This one is slightly more expensive:
"The Complete Milk Street TV Show Cookbook (2017-2019): Every Recipe from Every Episode of the Popular TV Show" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

Andrew Rea's "Binging with Babish: 100 Recipes Recreated from Your Favorite Movies and TV Shows" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down a little to see the list of recipes. Continue to scroll down to see recipes.

(You may see a slightly different price than what I've posted. I have a credit so Amazon is doing the math for me)

This one is slightly more expensive:

"Favorite Recipes from Melissa Clark's Kitchen: Family Meals, Festive Gatherings, and Everything In-between" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Scroll down to see recipes.

"The Farm Girl's Guide to Preserving the Harvest: How to Can, Freeze, Dehydrate, and Ferment Your Garden's Goodness" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Amazon info says there are 30 recipes in this cookbook. I assume everything else is about the how-to using-the-what.

Only 20 recipes in this one:
"100% Chocolate Lover's Book: Chocolate Guide for Beginners – #2020 Interesting Facts About Chocolate, Tips, Benefits and Collection of the Best Sweet and ... Making Pastry Recipes (DIVINE AROMA Book 2)" Kindle Edition $0.99US

"The Easy Italian Cookbook: 100 Quick and Authentic Recipes" Kindle Edition $0.99US
Regarding the title, I wasn't sure if they meant an Italian with loose morals, or that the Italian recipes are easy...just kidding.

This has been posted before. It is currently slightly more expensive than the usual bargain cookbooks.
Vivian Howard's "Deep Run Roots: Stories and Recipes from My Corner of the South" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Continue to scroll down to see recipes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks.  I sprung.

So did I. 

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It started with my BookBub email and then I fell down an Amazon rabbit hole. Sorry that there are so many "Slightly more expensive" listings but they popped up and I didn't want to ignore them. Feel free to ignore them if you wish.

Editor-in-Chief of SAVEUR Stacy Adimando's "Piatti: Plates and platters for sharing, inspired by Italy" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, then scroll down to see some of the recipes. Has both Imperial and Metric measurements.

Slightly more expensive...
"Dishoom: The first ever cookbook from the much-loved Indian restaurant" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Lots of photos...Some reviews say there aren't enough recipes, that it has a lot of stories/essays in it.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

2 slightly more expensive cookbooks by the same author...
Rachel Roddy's "Two Kitchens: 120 Family Recipes from Sicily and Rome" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Please read the Amazon info about this cookbook for more details about what's in the cookbook.

Rachel Roddy's "My Kitchen in Rome: Recipes and Notes on Italian Cooking" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Yasmin Khan's multi-award winning "The Saffron Tales: Recipes from the Persian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Very well reviewed.

Stéphane Reynaud's "One Knife, One Pot, One Dish: Simple French Feasts at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.
Also, please check out the reviews, especially the one negative one I saw.

Slightly more expensive...
From Brooklyn's Battersby and Dover fame, "Battersby: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see chapter 1's recipe listing.
Well reviewed.

Food Blogger/writerLauren McDuffie's "Smoke, Roots, Mountain, Harvest: Recipes and Stories Inspired by My Appalachian Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see chapter 1's recipe listing.

There's a recipe for a Blackberry Crisp from the cookbook (plus a lot of photos) on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

I went with The Saffron Tales, thanks.  And when I did amazon suggested Sabrina Ghayour's Bazaar: Vibrant vegetarian and plant-based recipes.  For $0.99.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I went with The Saffron Tales and the Smoke, Roots...Appalachian cookbook. When exactly I think I'll read, much less cook from, the extensive digital library I've already accumulated is a mystery. Does that stop me from looking, and sometimes pulling the trigger? Nope.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I went with The Saffron Tales and the Smoke, Roots...Appalachian cookbook. When exactly I think I'll read, much less cook from, the extensive digital library I've already accumulated is a mystery. Does that stop me from looking, and sometimes pulling the trigger? Nope.

A kindred spirit.

• Like 3

From my BookBub eail this morning...an odd duck of a cookbook, so to speak:

"The Hands-On Home: A Seasonal Guide to Cooking, Preserving & Natural Homekeeping" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes. 
Note that it's broken up into seasons with food recipes, preserving/canning recipes, and recipes for your own DIY household cleaning products. 

Very well reviewed.

Edited to add:

BookBub told me this was on sale last week but by the time I followed their link, it was no longer on sale. Now it's on sale again!

Not a cookbook but a must-read for anyone who wants to become a chef...

Michael Ruhlman's "The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver