• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

10 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Breaking Bread: A Baker's Journey Home in 75 Recipes  by Martin Philip (head bread baker at King Arthur Flour) is only $1.99 on Amazon.com (and possibly on Amazon Canada as well). Seems to get pretty good reviews. 

No idea if this book has been featured here before. Description is:

Thanks.  How could I not go for it.  However I thought Jeffrey Hamelman was the KAF head baker?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  How could I not go for it.  However I thought Jeffrey Hamelman was the KAF head baker?

Philip is the head BREAD baker, from the book's description. I would assume there is still a head baker in charge of more than just bread. 😃

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

“JEFFREY HAMELMAN is one of the very few Certified Master Bakers in the United States. He is the bakery director at the King Arthur Flour Company and teaches professional-level classes at King Arthur's Baking Education Center.” From AMAZON .COM. 

• Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A new month, new e-cookbooks on sale. But barely 2 pages worth and most of them were with diet-specific or vegan or vegetarian.

This first one may have been posted in the past - 

"Cuba!: Recipes and Stories from the Cuban Kitchen [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"Pasta, Pretty Please: A Vibrant Approach to Handmade Noodles" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes plus some photos of the different kinds of pasta she makes.

"Charred & Smoked: More Than 75 Bold Recipes and Cooking Techniques for the Home Cook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Dos Caminos Mexican Street Food: 120 Authentic Recipes to Make at Home" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see one of the recipes.

NOTE This next e-cookbook has not been reviewed:

"Dine Like a Dragon: Chinese Salads, Sauces, Dips, and Dressings: Awaken the Master Chef in you with these Legendary Chinese Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Also note there are no recipes for main dishes in this e-cookbook. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A few more found this afternoon:

"Onions Etcetera" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Ferment: A Guide to the Ancient Art of Culturing Foods, from Kombucha to Sourdough" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Dulce de Leche (Recipes, stories and Sweet Traditions)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Once again, Amazon has saved me from buying the same cookbook twice. (I refer to Charred and Smoked.) OTOH I thought I already had ¡Cuba! and I didn't, so my library has still expanded -- even as Samsung complains that I'm getting low on tablet space.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I went with Onions.

I would have but I am a prime member of Amazon.CA and the Kindle version of this book is $37.02 —- even more expensive than the hardcover version. WTF. 

• Sad 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Dulce de Leche (Recipes, stories and Sweet Traditions)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

It's not apparent from the title, but the personal family stories make this one a pleasure to read.  You can read the introduction via Amazon's "Look Inside" feature.  The book has no photos so you can skip it they are a must for you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would have but I am a prime member of Amazon.CA and the Kindle version of this book is $37.02 —- even more expensive than the hardcover version. WTF. 

I am a prime member also and the same has happened to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

When I first started posting these bargain-priced e-cookbooks, I didn't realize there would be a difference between the US version of Amazon and the Canadian Amazon.

Which is why I now post that annoying little disclaimer at the end of my posts. I really am sorry anyone outside the US can't share in the same cheap price.

7 minutes ago, thurbers said:

Missed it. Now $11.99 in the US. 

I never know how long the sale prices will last. Some e-ccokbooks seem to linger at the same low price for a year and others, as in this case, go off sale almost immediately. I just fail to understand why this happens. Perhaps it has something to do with temporarily boosting sales to get a book onto a best seller list. It's a cheat but seems like it's effective.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

When I first started posting these bargain-priced e-cookbooks, I didn't realize there would be a difference between the US version of Amazon and the Canadian Amazon.

Which is why I now post that annoying little disclaimer at the end of my posts. I really am sorry anyone outside the US can't share in the same cheap price.

You do not need to apologize at all. I have got some real bargains from your postings and it certainly isn’t your fault that Amazon has this crazy policy between the two countries!  I suspect even Amazon might not be the culprit but rather copyright laws.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

You do not need to apologize at all. I have got some real bargains from your postings and it certainly isn’t your fault that Amazon has this crazy policy between the two countries!  I suspect even Amazon might not be the culprit but rather copyright laws.

That Onions Etcetera book jumped up in price in the US Amazon store as well. Right after you posted about the price on the Canadian site, I looked at the US site and it had risen to $21.35 for the Kindle, hardcover is $22.47. So, if it was discounted on the Canadian site, you may have just missed it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

That Onions Etcetera book jumped up in price in the US Amazon store as well. Right after you posted about the price on the Canadian site, I looked at the US site and it had risen to $21.35 for the Kindle, hardcover is $22.47. So, if it was discounted on the Canadian site, you may have just missed it. 

Wow that was fast.  Shorter than ramp season.

• Haha 4

I'll third the motion and suggest there's no need to insert a disclaimer in every post.  Amazon pricing is hit or miss sometimes dependent on which browser you're using (and what cookies are set and visible).  No need to explain that to everybody every time. 

• Like 4

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Offered right now is  Fix-It and Forget-It Cooking for Two: 150 Small-Batch Slow Cooker Recipes

for $1.99 US on Amazon. I've just bought it. Now the question is if I'll actually cook from it.

Edited by Porthos
correct the error in the price. (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

From various emails notifying me of some bargain-priced cookbooks:

From Cambridge's Sofra Bakery and Cafe "Soframiz: Vibrant Middle Eastern Recipes from Sofra Bakery and Cafe [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There's a recipe from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page, "DRAGON BEAN PLAKI".
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

"Japanese Cookbook for Beginners: Classic and Modern Recipes Made Easy" Kindle Edition $.99US
There's a recipe from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page, "Ginger Pork with Green Cabbage and Rice".

"Essential Vegetable Fermentation: 70 Inventive Recipes to Make Your Own Pickles, Kraut, Kimchi, and More" Kindle Edition $.99US
The paperback version hasn't been released yet so this cookbook has no reviews.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Offered right now is  Fix-It and Forget-It Cooking for Two: 150 Small-Batch Slow Cooker Recipes

for $0.99 US on Amazon. I've just bought it. Now the question is if I'll actually cook from it.

Now $1.99 -- ripoff.

• Haha 3

From this morning's BookBub email:

A new cookbook, so not a lot of reviews...
"The Easy Filipino Cookbook: 100 Classics Made Simple" Kindle Edition $.99US

Tim Oliver