• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

One that I found this afternoon:

Jane Grigson's "The Mushroom Feast" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a few recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This may or may not have been mentioned:  if you choose delayed delivery on most amazon purchases, you get a $1.00 credit on digital content.  My Kindle cookbook fix has been sated at no additional cost for some while now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Got this in a BookBub email:

Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (Revised and Updated)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

You can use the Look Inside" feature to see the list of topics covered and scroll down to see a few recipes.

It's supposed to be an updated version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From today's BookBub email:

Giada De Laurentiis's "Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There's a recipe from the book "Sweet Corn and Basil Lasagna" on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see a few recipes.

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

From today's BookBub email:

Giada De Laurentiis's "Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There's a recipe from the book "Sweet Corn and Basil Lasagna" on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see a few recipes.

Thanks for saving me from looking.

• Like 1

Another BookBub email find:

"Super Easy Soups and Stews: 100 Soups, Stews, Broths, Chilis, Chowders, and More!" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon's TASTE email:

James Beard Award-winning chef of Houston’s Underbelly Hospitality Chris Shepherd's "Cook Like a Local: Flavors That Can Change How You Cook and See the World: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

A 2016 James Beard Award nominee featuring more than eighty recipes from New York-based food writer and author of the popular dessert blog Love, Cake, Samantha Seneviratne's "The New Sugar & Spice: A Recipe for Bolder Baking" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Slightly more expensive:
Named one of the best cookbooks of the year by The New York Times Book Review, Paul Kahan's "Cooking for Good Times: Super Delicious, Super Simple [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

From San Francisco's Slanted Door, award-winning chef Charles Phan's "Vietnamese Home Cooking: [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.
There's a recipe from the cookbook for "Sichuan Cucumber Pickles" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email:

From San Francisco's Slanted Door, award-winning chef Charles Phan's "Vietnamese Home Cooking: [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.
There's a recipe from the cookbook for "Sichuan Cucumber Pickles" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Thanks!  I have a copy of The Slanted Door.  This looked so good I almost went with the hard copy in addition to the Kindle.  I may yet.

• Like 1

From this morning's BookBub email.

"Pastry for Beginners Cookbook: Step-by-Step Recipes for Sweet and Savory Treats" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

A new month with ecookbooks on sale:

"My Big Fat Greek Cookbook: Classic Mediterranean Soul Food Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

2018 James Beard Foundation Book of the Year | 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Award Winner in Writing | Nominee for the 2018 Hurston/Wright Legacy Award in Nonfiction | #75 on The Root100 2018

"The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Daughter of Heaven: A Memoir with Earthly Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the short list of recipes from the memoir.

This cookbook has been posted before some while back:
Masaharu Morimoto's "Mastering the Art of Japanese Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

"Breaking Bread: A Baker's Journey Home in 75 Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
It's not all bread recipes. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

"Fix-It and Forget-It [slow cooker] Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Very "Taste of Home"-ish. Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

Food Network's Duff Goldman's "Duff Bakes: Think and Bake Like a Pro at Home" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Food Network's Amanda Freitag's "The Chef Next Door: A Pro Chef's Recipes for Fun, Fearless Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Treme: Stories and Recipes from the Heart of New Orleans" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Stories and recipes from New Orleans. 

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see a couple of recipes from the cookbook.

"Hazan Family Favorites: Beloved Italian Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon's TASTE email:

Mark Bittman's "Dinner for Everyone: 100 Iconic Dishes Made 3 Ways--Easy, Vegan, or Perfect for Company: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (listing an easy version, a vegan version and an "all out" version of each recipe). Then scroll down to see recipes.

"Mastering Fermentation: Recipes for Making and Cooking with Fermented Foods [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes.

For the milling-your-own-flour/grains person:
"Flour Lab: An At-Home Guide to Baking with Freshly Milled Grains" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I've had these written down since Friday...late in posting:

Kerstin Rodgers' (AKA Ms Marmite Lover) "Supper Club: Recipes and notes from the underground restaurant" Kindle Edition $2.99US

A little more pricey:

"Dine Like a Dragon: The Complete Chinese Cookbook: Master Chinese Cooking with 999 Legendary Recipes" (Asian Cookbook Book 1) Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Not super on sale, but better than full price (~$25), if anyone is a fan of Wagamama, the UK based restaurant chain:

The Wagamama Cookbook ($6.99)

https://www.amazon.com/Wagamama-Cookbook-Hugo-Arnold-ebook/dp/B07KPB64RP

wagamama Feed Your Soul: Fresh + simple recipes from the wagamama kitchen ($8.99)

https://www.amazon.com/wagamama-Feed-Your-Soul-recipes-ebook/dp/B07S7PVZ8M

Wagamama Ways With Noodles ($10.99)

https://www.amazon.com/Wagamama-Ways-Noodles-Hugo-Arnold-ebook/dp/B07KPBN7HP

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jer_vic said:

Not super on sale, but better than full price (~$25), if anyone is a fan of Wagamama, the UK based restaurant chain:

The Wagamama Cookbook ($6.99)

https://www.amazon.com/Wagamama-Cookbook-Hugo-Arnold-ebook/dp/B07KPB64RP

wagamama Feed Your Soul: Fresh + simple recipes from the wagamama kitchen ($8.99)

https://www.amazon.com/wagamama-Feed-Your-Soul-recipes-ebook/dp/B07S7PVZ8M

Wagamama Ways With Noodles ($10.99)

https://www.amazon.com/Wagamama-Ways-Noodles-Hugo-Arnold-ebook/dp/B07KPBN7HP

I have been looking at these books for a while and although they were not nearly as cheap on Amazon.ca, I sprang for Feed Your Soul. Thanks. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Found this this afternoon:

Chefs Unmi Abkin and Roger Taylor's "Curry & Kimchi: Flavor Secrets for Creating 70 Asian-Inspired Recipes at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Scroll all the way down to see one of the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

28 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Found this this afternoon:

Chefs Unmi Abkin and Roger Taylor's "Curry & Kimchi: Flavor Secrets for Creating 70 Asian-Inspired Recipes at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Scroll all the way down to see one of the recipes.

Thank you.  I sprung.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  I sprung.

Me too.  For $2.99 Cdn was hard to resist. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breaking Bread: A Baker's Journey Home in 75 Recipes  by Martin Philip (head bread baker at King Arthur Flour) is only $1.99 on Amazon.com (and possibly on Amazon Canada as well). Seems to get pretty good reviews. 

No idea if this book has been featured here before. Description is:

Grand Prize Winner of the 2017 New England Book Festival

"I bake because it connects my soul to my hands, and my heart to my mouth."—Martin Philip

A brilliant, moving meditation on craft and love, and an intimate portrait of baking and our communion with food—complete with seventy-five original recipes and illustrated with dozens of photographs and original hand-drawn illustrations—from the head bread baker of King Arthur Flour.

Yearning for creative connection, Martin Philip traded his finance career in New York City for an entry-level baker position at King Arthur Flour in rural Vermont. A true Renaissance man, the opera singer, banjo player, and passionate amateur baker worked his way up, eventually becoming head bread baker. But Philip is not just a talented craftsman; he is a bread shaman. Being a baker isn’t just mastering the chemistry of flour, salt, water, and yeast; it is being an alchemist—perfecting the transformation of simple ingredients into an elegant expression of the soul.

Breaking Bread is an intimate tour of Philip’s kitchen, mind, and heart. Through seventy-five original recipes and life stories told with incandescent prose, he shares not only the secrets to creating loaves of unparalleled beauty and flavor but the secrets to a good life. From the butter biscuits, pecan pie, and whiskey bread pudding of his childhood in the Ozarks to French baguettes and focaccias, bagels and muffins, cinnamon buns and ginger scones, Breaking Bread is a guide to wholeheartedly embracing the staff of life.

Philip gently guides novice bakers and offers recipes and techniques for the most advanced levels. He also includes a substantial technical section covering the bread-making process, tools, and ingredients. As he illuminates an artisan’s odyssey and a life lived passionately, he reveals how the act of baking offers spiritual connection to our pasts, our families, our culture and communities, and, ultimately, ourselves. Exquisite, sensuous, and delectable, Breaking Bread inspires us to take risks, make bolder choices, live more fully, and bake bread and break it with those we love.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Breaking Bread: A Baker's Journey Home in 75 Recipes  by Martin Philip (head bread baker at King Arthur Flour) is only $1.99 on Amazon.com (and possibly on Amazon Canada as well). Seems to get pretty good reviews. 

No idea if this book has been featured here before. Description is:

Thank you!  It's for sale on Amazon.ca as well.  Can't believe I sprung for 2 books in two days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you!  It's for sale on Amazon.ca as well.  Can't believe I sprung for 2 books in two days!

Same here! I think it's the same two books! xD

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown